Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

4 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

Though, there isn't much to suggest that either of the two possible alternatives for the next PM will be significantly better.

Somebody on the television the other day, described the current Tory leadership contest as ‘the worst Foreign Secretary in history vying with the worst Health Secretary in history to replace the worst Prime Minister in history. 😂

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

John Major, the grey man and probably the worst PM this Country has ever had, or will have even. Which way he leans on Brexit I don't care, I care less for what he says whether it's for or against Brexit.  Allegedly Treading  Edwina is the best thing on his resume.

Angel1.

Did you actually say that with a straight face?

The worst prime minister.  So you're discounting May, who somehow exceeded the levels of ineptitude that Cameron demonstrated.

8 hours ago, bendix said:

Is it not just possible that there is no grand conspiracy, and that people like Farage and Bannon have just tapped into a resurgence of ignorance and bigotism at the right time?

Bizarrely, Channel Four News tonight had a piece on a group of Scientologists getting involved in this new right wing populist movement. Given that many Easter European far-right groups are fundamentally Xtian, that should cause some friction. 😵

With Labour’s position going to officially shift to Remain. The writing is definitely on the wall with Brexit. 

5 hours ago, ez8004 said:

With Labour’s position going to officially shift to Remain. The writing is definitely on the wall with Brexit. 

Too little too late, with Corbyn still sitting on the fence.  He's stubborn.  He won't climb down. He'll just drag the party even further down in the polls.

17 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Somebody on the television the other day, described the current Tory leadership contest as ‘the worst Foreign Secretary in history vying with the worst Health Secretary in history to replace the worst Prime Minister in history. 😂

Probably 99% on the money.

Angel1.

9 hours ago, ez8004 said:

It hasn't: for Labour, that 'remain' position is contingent on there being a 2nd Referendum (big if #1) and on remain being part of the referendum options (big if #2).

It's nothing else than yet more time-buying, forked tongue-speaking from Corbyn.

As things stand, the UK still has the same 3 options as 4 months ago:

1. Revoke Article 50

2. Sign the existing WA (May's, whether in original or Boris-rebranded form)

3. Crash out

(1) and (2) require Parliament to do something and, on the evidence of British politics over the past year at least, neither option is looking likely at this time.

(3) happens regardless of what Parliament does other than (1) or (2), if the UK doesn't request an extension (the EU cannot grant one of its own motion).

Someone well-versed in the chronology and arithmetic of Parliament sessions and working days until 31st October 2019, worked out that, subsequently to the leadership race result on 23 July and the ensuing Parliament summer recess, Boris' government will basically have 4 weks or so, to negotiate the brand new WA that's been promised during the Conservative leadership race and to get it approved and signed all-around.

I think you can work out the odds of that happening, pretty easily.

Edited by L00b

5 hours ago, L00b said:

It hasn't: for Labour, that 'remain' position is contingent on there being a 2nd Referendum (big if #1) and on remain being part of the referendum options (big if #2).

It's nothing else than yet more time-buying, forked tongue-speaking from Corbyn.

As things stand, the UK still has the same 3 options as 4 months ago:

1. Revoke Article 50

2. Sign the existing WA (May's, whether in original or Boris-rebranded form)

3. Crash out

(1) and (2) require Parliament to do something and, on the evidence of British politics over the past year at least, neither option is looking likely at this time.

(3) happens regardless of what Parliament does other than (1) or (2), if the UK doesn't request an extension (the EU cannot grant one of its own motion).

Someone well-versed in the chronology and arithmetic of Parliament sessions and working days until 31st October 2019, worked out that, subsequently to the leadership race result on 23 July and the ensuing Parliament summer recess, Boris' government will basically have 4 weks or so, to negotiate the brand new WA that's been promised during the Conservative leadership race and to get it approved and signed all-around.

I think you can work out the odds of that happening, pretty easily.

I agree this doesn't move the needle on the Brexit outcome (This has been Labour's position since their conference last year). I do wonder though... where is Car Boot? Because frankly, the Labour position makes a lot of sense - it is warning enthusiastic leavers in Labour strongholds of the fact that leaving with no/Tory deal is going to impact workers rights significantly. This should serve as a warning siren to all those disgruntled low-wage workers in traditional Labour voting areas (like Sheffield) about the genuine outcome of Brexit, unfortunately, I don't think it will...

39 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

I agree this doesn't move the needle on the Brexit outcome (This has been Labour's position since their conference last year). I do wonder though... where is Car Boot? Because frankly, the Labour position makes a lot of sense - it is warning enthusiastic leavers in Labour strongholds of the fact that leaving with no/Tory deal is going to impact workers rights significantly. This should serve as a warning siren to all those disgruntled low-wage workers in traditional Labour voting areas (like Sheffield) about the genuine outcome of Brexit, unfortunately, I don't think it will...

Why do people on benefits need workers’ rights?  That’s where they will ultimately end up if not there already. 

Edited by ez8004

Boris Johnson has just claimed in the ITV leadership debate that the overwhelming majority of people voted to leave the UK in 2016! 😂

38 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Boris Johnson has just claimed in the ITV leadership debate that the overwhelming majority of people voted to leave the UK in 2016! 😂

Looks like he's learned a lot off Trump 😎

34 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Looks like he's learned a lot off Trump 😎

I certainly thought that when he was repeatedly talking over Julie Etchingham and ignoring her when she told him to be quiet.

It reminded me of that weird Trump-Clinton debate where Trump was not only constantly talking over Hillary Clinton but when he wasn’t, he was standing really close to her like some creepy stalker!