Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

11 hours ago, Car Boot said:

The EU and it's IMF partner have imposed terrible economic austerity on Greece until at least 2060 - in order to save the Euro.

The Euro and the EU are not worth saving. The oppressed will rise up against the oppressors. The EU will fall.

That may be true, but successive Greek governments created this situation by refusing to take action to address the budegt issues. Something those on the left and right who advocate massive increases in public spending should bear in mind.

5 hours ago, Mister M said:

Apologies if someone else has already posted the link, but John Major gave a very powerful interview on the BBC's Hard Talk. Only 20 minutes long, but very well worth listening to:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0006yxz/hardtalk-sir-john-major-former-british-prime-minister

Thanks for the link... nothing to disagree with there :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, andyofborg said:

That may be true, but successive Greek governments created this situation by refusing to take action to address the budegt issues. Something those on the left and right who advocate massive increases in public spending should bear in mind.

Here's an analysis of the current situation, which isn't as bad as the picture that Car Boot would like to paint.

https://www.ft.com/content/b42ee1ac-4a27-11e9-bde6-79eaea5acb64

On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:27, L00b said:

Farage is a sock puppet for that new elite, a useful idiot freeloading on their ultra-capitalist wealth.

Bannon has his hands up him so far, it tickles his tonsils. And Bannon takes his orders from the Kochs and other assorted megabillionaires in cahoots, whom no one at US or U.K. street level has heard of, and who are the very ultra-capitalists after every last bit of US/U.K./EU27 governments’ spending.

I agree to a certain extent, but you lost me at the stuff about Koch Brothers.   What you're suggesting is not that far from the Corbynista and Far Right (see, there's that horsehoe again, TCH)  'it's all being run by the bankers (code word for Jew), nonsense.

Is it not just possible that there is no grand conspiracy, and that people like Farage and Bannon have just tapped into a resurgence of ignorance and bigotism at the right time?

10 minutes ago, melthebell said:

And also shows it was their own sovereignty that was the issue

...inasmuch as a country's sovereignty always allows it to burn the proverbial credit card white hot, but never insulates it from the consequences of spending money which it doesn't have like it's going out of fashion.

They've just chucked Tsipras out and replaced him with a centre right majority and government last week: looks like they've finally learnt from their hard left adventurism, and basics of prudentiary budgeting at long last. May they long continue.

34 minutes ago, bendix said:

I agree to a certain extent, but you lost me at the stuff about Koch Brothers.   What you're suggesting is not that far from the Corbynista and Far Right (see, there's that horsehoe again, TCH)  'it's all being run by the bankers (code word for Jew), nonsense.

Is it not just possible that there is no grand conspiracy, and that people like Farage and Bannon have just tapped into a resurgence of ignorance and bigotism at the right time?

The Kochs (and associates: they're not alone) are not bankers, jews or other lizards beloved of conspiracy theorists: they are neo-conservatives with a long term plan, and the resources, influence and patience to implement it.

Trump, Bannon, Farage, etc. are just means to an end, amongst so many others; and not the most efficient ones, either. Just the more visible, and each with a 'best before' date.

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, bendix said:

Corbynista and Far Right (see, there's that horsehoe again, TCH)  'it's all being run by the bankers (code word for Jew), nonsense.

Except that if I asked you to show me a single example of the left claiming the existence of a bankers’ conspiracy (Jewish or otherwise) you would struggle! 😂

On 07/07/2019 at 17:59, Mister M said:

Apologies if someone else has already posted the link, but John Major gave a very powerful interview on the BBC's Hard Talk. Only 20 minutes long, but very well worth listening to:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0006yxz/hardtalk-sir-john-major-former-british-prime-minister

John Major, the grey man and probably the worst PM this Country has ever had, or will have even. Which way he leans on Brexit I don't care, I care less for what he says whether it's for or against Brexit.  Allegedly Treading  Edwina is the best thing on his resume.

Angel1.

3 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

John Major, the grey man and probably the worst PM this Country has ever had, or will have even.

I think you may have forgotten that without John Major and his Irish counterpart at the time, Albert Reynolds, the Irish peace process may have taken at least a decade longer.

Just now, Top Cats Hat said:

I think you may have forgotten that without John Major and his Irish counterpart at the time, Albert Reynolds, the Irish peace process may have taken at least a decade longer.

Indeed, I rather think that history will judge the current incumbent to have been worse.

Though, there isn't much to suggest that either of the two possible alternatives for the next PM will be significantly better.