Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

Can we hurry up and actually implement Brexit.  That way, I can laugh at all the people going to lose their jobs.

The social divide is going to widen to my advantage so there is a silver lining to to it all I guess.

12 hours ago, Cyclone said:

It's perfectly reasonable to have more than one vote if a) public opinion seems to have changed, b) the first vote wasn't specific or clear about what the options actually meant (leading to a).

Public opinion has only hardened. 

Recent opinion polls put a No Deal Brexit as the majority option.

Let's do this!

10 hours ago, Chez2 said:

You haven't been able to validate your statement; please do. How is one vote democratic but another isn't?  

Some people voted based on gossip or spin without ascertaining any facts. Some of those have now begun to realise they have been fooled or look at the bigger picture and changed their opinion. I realise some will never do that and still vote to leave. What are you afraid of crookesjoe? If you believe in democracy you should not be afraid of another vote. It would still be democratic either way. 

We can't keep voting until we get a result that the affluent middle class, the rich and big business are happy with!

Edited by Car Boot

2 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Let's do this!

The 2016 referendum split this country in half.

Lets see if the opinion polls are right. another referendum should sort it out.

Bring it on.

8 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

That is simply not true.

There were many possible ways to interpret the Leave/Remain aspect of the recent €uro elections (which we endlessly discussed on here!) but all of them showed a probable lead for Remain of somewhere between 6-10%.

Leave got 17.5 million votes in 2016. The Brexit party got less than a third of that in 2019.

That is not a strengthening vote.

I was unaware that there was an EU parliamentary election in 2016. Perhaps you are deliberately not comparing like with like?

In the 2019 EU elections the party which won the most seats, and gained the most votes, was a party which advocates LEAVING the EU.

I guess that isn't clear enough for some people.

3 minutes ago, Padders said:

Bring it on.

We were split in half long before the June 2016 referendum. Only out of touch folk and the ruling class were unaware.

Why would people want another referendum on Europe when the ruling class refuse to implement the democratic result of the last one? If the ruling class don't like the result of the next referendum, why should we believe that they will honour the outcome?

2 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

We were split in half long before the June 2016 referendum. Only out of touch folk and the ruling class were unaware.

Why would people want another referendum on Europe when the ruling class refuse to implement the democratic result of the last one? If the ruling class don't like the result of the next referendum, why should we believe that they will honour the outcome?

We need another referendum to see what the mood of the country is now, after 3 yrs of debate, we may get a clearer picture..

Big majority either way and I"m sure it will be implemented. only possible way out of the current impasse.

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

Let's do this!

We can't keep voting until we get a result that the affluent middle class, the rich and big business are happy with!

That wasn't my question. How about some people have now been educated? How about the fact "project fear" is happening?  Have you a nice view down there with your head in the sand? 

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

I was unaware that there was an EU parliamentary election in 2016. Perhaps you are deliberately not comparing like with like?

Comrade Snowflake seems to have had a logic failure.

Someone has claimed that the €uro election vote shows that the 2016 leave vote has strengthened so what on earth else would you compare if not those two votes?

30 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Comrade Snowflake seems to have had a logic failure.

Someone has claimed that the €uro election vote shows that the 2016 leave vote has strengthened so what on earth else would you compare if not those two votes?

The opinion poll of the Monk Bretton Civil Servants for Marxist / Faragist Hedge Fund Emancipation?

10 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Do you have some evidence, because otherwise I think this is just part of your revisionist agenda, ie fake news, aka lying.

14 hours ago, Padders said:

Bring it on.

The country was split in half long before then: the 2010 austerity policies did that splitting.

The referendum just did its job (amongst so many other jobs) of cementing and setting this divide in minds, away from holding the government to account for the effects of their policies.

The opinion polls can say whatever they want: the 2019 European elections show that, save for approx. 5m useful idiots happy to vote for a hard Brexit outcome, it's still mostly apathy that rules the day in the UK.

A second referendum would likely return another narrow majority for either/or (I certainly wouldn't rule out a 'leave' majority again, given how the Kool Aid is free-flowing again on the back of tge Tory leadership campaign).

I see that Hunt is ramping up his no-deal rhetoric today, promising £6bn's worth of other people's money as a contingency to farmers and fishermen,  to compensate them for the expected consequences of his own proposed policy. And some of you lot are worried about Corbyn? :lol:

Meanwhile, the Swiss got an unexpected consequence of Brexit talks today (as did London): Brussels hardened its position in negotiations with the Swiss on the back of its Brexit positions, and so did not reconduct their equivalence status on Swiss shares trading activities at the weekend, which means that, effective this morning, Swiss shares can't be traded on EU exchanges anymore (30% of that trading volume in London). Must have been a case of the Swiss thinking the EU needed them more  ;)

Edited by L00b