Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

I'm curious.  How many relocations of global businesses with significant operations (be they factories or regional HQs) in the UK being moved to Europe will it take before Brexiteers stop asking - "what specifically about this closure is to do with Brexit?"

When does one or two or three become a trend that can no longer be ignored or explained away?  Is it when someone close to them or even themselves starts to lose jobs?

Edited by bendix

24 minutes ago, L00b said:

You completely missed my points and failed to read your own link, which confirms them:

I don’t need to speak to the WTO, because I understand basic principles of international trade -and the role of borders therein- just fine.

Do you?

'In circumstances where this happened, then that happened, this might happen' is very different to your original sweeping assertion isn't it.

Edited by Voice of reason

2 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

why? They have other distribution centres in the eu.

We don't know what area the UK centre covers, but if it distributes to other nations, either freely in the EU or using EU trade deals that the UK has not yet replicated, the UK operation is going to be seriously hobbled in a way that the EU centres aren't... as a result of Brexit.

They manufacture discs there too, from what I can gather, so raw materials (or delays to them) might be an issue also.

Then there's the tax & tarrif issues already mentioned, meaning these companys can't even plan their future in the UK...

The UK operation is now less agile and flexible than anywhere else in western Europe... it's not difficult to see why, if anywhere is to be shut, the UK will be the first in line.

Face it, it's just going to be easier to serve the UK from a more stable nation if you're a multinational like Sony, at least for the time being.

Explain properly. You are supposed to be able to form rational, educated responses. I can take more than a one-liner.

BADOOM-tish! :hihi:

1 hour ago, Voice of reason said:

'In circumstances where this happened, then that happened, this might happen' is very different to your original sweeping assertion isn't it.

If you have a solution to the smuggling issue mentioned earlier, let's hear it... otherwise there's no "might" about it, it will happen.

Edited by Magilla

Japanese companies will all pretty much move some operations out of the U.K.. We’ve already broken (because of the way Brexit has been handled) the implicit contract with the Japanese around business certainty, and economic stability which was one of our selling points with the EU being a cornerstone of that.

Its too late to fix it. They won’t trust the U.K. again

1 hour ago, Voice of reason said:

Your facile strawman aside, you understand whatever your cognitive dissonance allows you to.

The rest of us will wait patiently, until you progress beyond simplistic populism, into rules-based reality  :)

(that very rules-based reality,  from which the backstop arises and is a fundamental block part of the WA, and is never getting taken out (lest the UK doesn't Brexit, or goes Norway) and which circle your politicians can't ever hope to square under the current conditions)

Edited by L00b

Looking more certain day by day that we shall soon be free of the corrupt EU and its freeloading inhabitants.

Angel1

4 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Looking more certain day by day that we shall soon be free of the corrupt EU and its freeloading inhabitants.

Angel1

Then what.....

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

We don't know what area the UK centre covers, but if it distributes to other nations, either freely in the EU or using EU trade deals that the UK has not yet replicated, the UK operation is going to be seriously hobbled in a way that the EU centres aren't... as a result of Brexit.

They manufacture discs there too, from what I can gather, so raw materials (or delays to them) might be an issue also.

Then there's the tax & tarrif issues already mentioned, meaning these companys can't even plan their future in the UK...

The UK operation is now less agile and flexible than anywhere else in western Europe... it's not difficult to see why, if anywhere is to be shut, the UK will be the first in line.

Face it, it's just going to be easier to serve the UK from a more stable nation if you're a multinational like Sony, at least for the time being.

BADOOM-tish! :hihi:

If you have a solution to the smuggling issue mentioned earlier, let's hear it... otherwise there's no "might" about it, it will happen.

All speculation, on your part, to try to back up an overwhelming desire for it to be brexit based.

Your own link states it's to do with the move to streaming instead of physical media:

"In a statement released to What Hi-Fi?, Sony said: "As consumer habits in the home entertainment market continue to evolve, Sony DADC in England announced its proposal to close its distribution site in Enfield, England."

I really cba, after that. If it makes you happy to believe it's another brexit story, fill yer boots. 

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Your facile strawman aside, you understand whatever your cognitive dissonance allows you to.

The rest of us will wait patiently, until you progress beyond simplistic populism, into rules-based reality  :)

(that very rules-based reality,  from which the backstop arises and is a fundamental block part of the WA, and is never getting taken out (lest the UK doesn't Brexit, or goes Norway) and which circle your politicians can't ever hope to square under the current conditions)

Good plan. Use 'cognitive dissonance' and throw in 'simplistic populism' to try to imply an intellectual advantage over whoever you disagree with. You had a go implying my disagreement was nationality based earlier, so you really are covering all the favourite go-to tools.

13 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Good plan. Use 'cognitive dissonance' and throw in 'simplistic populism' to try to imply an intellectual advantage over whoever you disagree with. You had a go implying my disagreement was nationality based earlier, so you really are covering all the favourite go-to tools.

I’m calling as I see it: your posts are clear enough, and I’m not the poster who doesn’t understand that borders are a fundamental cornerstone of international trade between third party countries.

If you don’t have borders, you can’t know who or what is coming in or going out, when and in what quantities. That’s not ‘intellectual advantage’, it’s basic common sense (-before we delve into the arcane world of trade treaties, designed to simplify and facilitate those to-ing and fro-ing across -yes- borders).

Just now, L00b said:

I’m calling as I see it: your posts are clear enough, and I’m not the poster who doesn’t understand that borders are a fundamental cornerstone of international trade between third party countries.

If you don’t have borders, you can’t know who or what is coming in or going out, when and in what quantities. That’s not ‘intellectual advantage’, it’s basic common sense (-before we delve into the arcane world of trade treaties, designed to simplify and facilitate those to-ing and fro-ing across -yes- borders).

When discussing something, I tend to avoid trying to imply other people are inferior to myself. Other people rather like to do it.

8 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

When discussing something, I tend to avoid trying to imply other people are inferior to myself. Other people rather like to do it.

Good for you.

Did you have a point to make about borders?

10 minutes ago, L00b said:

Good for you.

Did you have a point to make about borders?

I'll discuss it with others ,thanks.