Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 15:14, Top Cats Hat said:

Not for a referendum on a major matter which has implications for decades.

The problem with the FPP system is that if one side wins by only one vote and two people  change their mind or die the following day, you are then trying to implement a major policy without popular support. That is why such referenda in most parts of the world have a minimum level of support set so that if there is a shift in opinion  there will still be majority support for the proposal for a reasonable number of years.

Also if the proposal is for a union like the UK to make a change that affects the union as a whole, all parts of that union need to agree to that proposal.

The constant childish shouts of 'losers!' and  'remoaners' by many leave supporters is not because of the referendum result but the fact that majority support is for remain which makes it both morally and democratically wrong to continue a path which is not supported by the populous. 

I fully agree. The problem however is how could we find out what the populous as a whole thinks about an issue. Would single referable majority voting cut the ice? 

2 hours ago, retep said:

I don't want to tell the EU what to do other than do one.

Stop inflicting it then. 

That's why I quoted carboot and not you.  

As for the "inflicting".  It's an unavoidable consequence of withdrawing.  You were told it would happen, you voted to leave anyway.  Take responsibility for your behaviour.

Edited by Cyclone

23 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

The EU have stated they will not altar the Withdrawal Agreement.  The EU haven't stated anything about a managed Exit.  A managed Exit is not the same as the Withdrawal Agreement.

Its a deal, just worded differently.

She's living in a fantasy world. That said, she's living in a fantasy world if she thinks she's getting the leadership gig.

A managed no deal is a no deal.

What she is saying is that we no deal, and then immediately sign back up to probably almost all the 700 agreements that are vital for continued frictionless economic activity and other forms of cooperation.

Hardline Brexiters are too utterly think and stupid to understand that that is what a no deal means in every single case. We leave, we sign up again straight away to almost everything we are already signed up to.

No deal and managed no deal are exactly the same thing. It’s just that your Brexit leaders are too scared to explain the reality in simple terms so have resorted to using ludicrous terms like managed no deal.

39 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

That's why I quoted carboot and not you.  

As for the "inflicting".  It's an unavoidable consequence of withdrawing.  You were told it would happen, you voted to leave anyway.  Take responsibility for your behaviour.

The behaviour is all yours the more you delay the more inflicting havoc you will cause.

Don't try passing the buck stop kissing Soros' ring.

20 hours ago, stifflersmom said:

If you look at an unbiased source like Fullfact you will see the long term UK growth lags behind both the Eurozone and EU. The distinction is important because the Eurozone includes only countries that use the Euro, and therefore doesn't include the newer economies which you claim bias the results.https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-economic-growth-higher-europe/

I agree the UK does lag behind and have admitted such in post 3383 where I have stated the EU as a whole is around 0.48% higher, and therefor disputed El Cid when he claimed it was 3.1% higher. If you now compare my figure with the data at fulfact org mine is 0.48% and theirs is 0.4% so not much in it, bearing in mind theirs its not up to data as 2018-2019 is not exact and only a forecast.

Actually the Eurozone does include some newer economies as not all opted out of the Euro.

Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Slovakia and Slovenia are all new-ish members (2004) and also use the Euro.

Edited by apelike

25 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

A managed no deal is a no deal.

What she is saying is that we no deal, and then immediately sign back up to probably almost all the 700 agreements that are vital for continued frictionless economic activity and other forms of cooperation.

Hardline Brexiters are too utterly think and stupid to understand that that is what a no deal means in every single case. We leave, we sign up again straight away to almost everything we are already signed up to.

No deal and managed no deal are exactly the same thing. It’s just that your Brexit leaders are too scared to explain the reality in simple terms so have resorted to using ludicrous terms like managed no deal.

The term used by Andrea Leadsom is a 'Managed Exit'   

Edited by Lockdoctor

2 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

The term used by Andrea Leadsom is a 'Managed Exit'   

That’s what May’s deal was.

9 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

That’s what May’s deal was.

The Withdrawal Agreement has been rejected by Parliament three times and the EU have stated it won't be altered.  Andrea Leadsom's plan is for the UK to leave EU in a different way by attempting to minimise the potential  negatives a full no deal Brexit might temporary bring.  The big issue is the future relationship between the UK and EU which can only make progress after the UK leaves the EU.

Edited by Lockdoctor

5 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

What do you think about Trump sticking his nose into the domestic political affairs of the UK?

I think it is no different to US President Obama telling us how to vote in the EU referendum and warning that we would be "back of the queue" if we voted to Leave the EU.

11 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

negatives a full no deal Brexit might temporary bring.  

Temporary lol 😂

4 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

What do you think about Trump sticking his nose into the domestic political affairs of the UK?

It's absolutely fine. Our politicians never criticise  or comment on Trump's domestic policies do they? Of course not. 

As Car Boot said above it is no different to Obama campaigning for Britain to remain in the EU before the referendum. Obama warning us that we would go to the back of the queue for trade talks if we voted to leave EU was fine by remainers.  Donald Tusk urged Brits to vote Change UK for the Euro elections. That worked really well. Verhofstadt was over here, prancing around with Vince, and still losing. Seems to be a theme going on there.

Personally I am looking forward to some edgelord on the left looking for their 5 minutes of fame by throwing a milkshake at the president and getting a welcome to reality by the secret service.