Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

56 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Here you are, no unicorn needed, the question on the referendum paper, read it and weep.

Remain a member of the European union.

Leave the European union 

Pretty straight forward to me,. don't you think. No mention here of soft Brexit, Hard Brexit, leave with a custom union or any other type of the figment of the imagination of any remoaner can think up to thwart Brexit.

Here it is in even more simple terms for those who may have difficulty reading the full referendum ballot paper.

Remain.

Leave.

Angel1

It also wasn't legally binding in any way, which makes your condescending post pretty moot.

What was or was not specifically written on the ballot paper is of little concern since it has no power in law, after we voted it was left upto the politicians to decide how to enact out wishes.

Edited by geared

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Here you are, no unicorn needed, the question on the referendum paper, read it and weep.

Leave the European union 

Pretty straight forward to me,. don't you think. No mention here of soft Brexit, Hard Brexit, leave with a custom union or any other type of the figment of the imagination of any remoaner can think up to thwart Brexit.

Here it is in even more simple terms for those who may have difficulty reading the full referendum ballot paper.

Remain.

Leave.

Angel1

You've almost got it.  There was no explanation whatsoever of what it meant.  So no-one can claim that it meant a no deal exit, something that not even the most fervent brexit campaigner mentioned until well after the vote.

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Leave the European union 

Pretty straight forward to me

Well technically Parliament could achieve that by simply triggering Article 50 and waiting to crash out of the EU, but that would trash the UK economy, cause great hardship, loss of life and major social unrest and no responsible government is ever going to do that.

SO........Parliament HAS to define what Brexit means, whether you like it or not.

5 hours ago, Obelix said:

No, it really isnt the default position. Theres one thing you have forgotten.

Which is? Perhaps you could enlighten us.

6 hours ago, stifflersmom said:

To think that the majority of people who voted leave did so hoping for a hard Brexit is deluded in the extreme. 

Where did I say that?

5 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

At some point leave voters need to take responsibility for the situation we are in and stop blaming everyone else"

And how do you propose that they do that when its not in their power and also given the fact that parliament have taken control.

Edited by apelike

4 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The majority of people who turned out for a discredited, non binding referendum three years ago or the majority of citizens of the UK?

1. It has never been discredited.

2. Being non binding makes no difference.

3. As you know with our democracy and in an election or referendum its those that vote that count, so saying the majority of citizens does not mean much given that.

1 hour ago, geared said:

It also wasn't legally binding in any way, which makes your condescending post pretty moot.

Just to remind you whether it was legally binding or not makes no difference as all referendums unless specified are non binding. If people didnt realise that at the time then it is their fault for not knowing.

1 hour ago, geared said:

What was or was not specifically written on the ballot paper is of little concern since it has no power in law, after we voted it was left upto the politicians to decide how to enact out wishes.

True and they subsequently agree to pass it into law making it law, another reason it no longer up to the people.

Edited by apelike

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Remain.

Leave.

Angel1

Perfect. Thanks for simplifying it for me.

My turn now. Leaving with a deal and staying in a customs union is indeed leaving the EU.

Given the closeness of the referendum result, that seems to be the outcome that most closely reflects the will of the people.

(Conservative MPs and grumpy pensioners excepted)

1 minute ago, Pettytom said:

Perfect. Thanks for simplifying it for me.

My turn now. Leaving with a deal and staying in a customs union is indeed leaving the EU.

Leaving with a deal is certainly in part staying in the EU as we will still be paying VAT to them and the backstop will be in place making the UK unable to just cancel it. Just two examples.

1 minute ago, apelike said:

Leaving with a deal is certainly in part staying in the EU as we will still be paying VAT to them and the backstop will be in place making the UK unable to just cancel it. Just two examples.

I have no problem with either of those things. In return, we get common standards with the EU, securing jobs and trade and maybe eroding some of that missing £66bn. And many other benefits besides.

Blue passports too. That has to be a winner.

There's another election today, so we can see if the pendulum has swung and the Remain supporting parties are now in a majority. It will act as a pseudo 2nd referendum.

27 minutes ago, apelike said:

1. It has never been discredited.

2. Being non binding makes no difference.

3. As you know with our democracy and in an election or referendum its those that vote that count, so saying the majority of citizens does not mean much given that.

Just to remind you whether it was legally binding or not makes no difference as all referendums unless specified are non binding. If people didnt realise that at the time then it is their fault for not knowing.

Not technically true. The AV referendum result was legally binding. 

13 minutes ago, apelike said:

The logic failure Brexiteers have with criticising any outcome which leaves us tied to certain European structures yet without any participation in decision making is we have no say precisely because we are legally no longer part of the EU..

That is leaving the EU in its purest, legal sense. 

Banging on about how it is 'not proper Brexit' or 'leaving in name only' is just illogical nonsense.

10 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

Not technically true. The AV referendum result was legally binding. 

I know thats why I stated: "unless specified";)

24 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I have no problem with either of those things.

So you accept that by doing that we will still be in part linked to the EU, thanks for clearing that up.

In return, we get common standards with the EU, securing jobs and trade and maybe eroding some of that missing £66bn. 

https://fullfact.org/economy/ten-things-know-about-economic-models/

Blue passports too. That has to be a winner.

I think banana coloured ones would be better provided they weren't bendy..

Edited by apelike