Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

1 hour ago, geared said:

but neither got a majority to govern, so neither won and neither really need to completely honour their manifesto , Labour especially as they are the opposition.

Conservatives won.  No one ever needs to follow their manifesto.  However that is irrelevant.  The vast majority f the public voted for a manifesto that included brexit.

28 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

So, British Steel has gone into administration this morning.  Slow handclap for the brexiteers.

Waiting to see if the news hang around outside the plant and ask people if they voted leave.

2 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Conservatives won.  

Losing the majority they held in Parliament is not exactly winning in the traditional sense.

27 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

So, British Steel has gone into administration this morning.  Slow handclap for the brexiteers.

It's lazy to blame brexit for this.  Brexit certainly had an impact, but the writing has been on the wall for yerrs 

1 minute ago, geared said:

Losing the majority they held in Parliament is not exactly winning in the traditional sense.

The conservatives won.  There is no "traditional sense", there is winning and losing.

They didn't win by much, but they won.

Just now, JamesR123 said:

It's lazy to blame brexit for this.  Brexit certainly had an impact, but the writing has been on the wall for yerrs 

But nobody wants to place an order because they don't know what tariffs they'll be paying 2 years down the line. Brexit has had a huge hand in it.

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

But nobody wants to place an order because they don't know what tariffs they'll be paying 2 years down the line. Brexit has had a huge hand in it.

True, but the orders weren't exactly flooding in anyway.  

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Its amazing what you can find out on the internet with a bit of digging.  

OMG is that the same woman?

When I posted the link to her on the BBC News site I hesitated about using the word ‘crackpot’ to describe her as I got the feeling that she may have mental health issues. 

In the end I did use the word as that shouty, irrational trope is very common with militant Brexiteers.

Just now, JamesR123 said:

Not quite so.   The company has made profits in the first three years of its opening as a new business in 2016.  

Guest makapaka
23 minutes ago, bendix said:

Not quite so.   The company has made profits in the first three years of its opening as a new business in 2016.  

28 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

In the last 2 years China produced more steel than the UK - ever.

Not the last decaded or 30 years - ever.

Have to go back a bit further for the source of the problem although funnily enough we had the same party in government....

10 minutes ago, makapaka said:

In the last 2 years China produced more steel than the UK - ever.

Not the last decaded or 30 years - ever.

Why are people shocked by that?  Seems perfectly reasonable to me - they have been developing infrastructure and building massively for years and have needed steel to do that.  If you were the Chinese government and had the choice between buying from the UK or developing it at a much lower price at home using Australian imported raw material, what would you do?

Guest makapaka
15 minutes ago, bendix said:

Why are people shocked by that?  Seems perfectly reasonable to me - they have been developing infrastructure and building massively for years and have needed steel to do that.  If you were the Chinese government and had the choice between buying from the UK or developing it at a much lower price at home using Australian imported raw material, what would you do?

I was highlighting one of the reasons why British steel is struggling.

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

I was highlighting one of the reasons why British steel is struggling.

The company has given the reason as brexit, economists are giving the reason as brexit...