Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

4 hours ago, apelike said:

And how many charted engineering jobs are to be had? Secondary education is not set up to teach people how to become a chartered engineer. Those are the jobs that the privileged take up because someone has paid for their higher education for them. Something the average 18 year old, even though they may have attained A levels, cannot do because of funding.

Rubbish - there are loads of good jobs in engineering. If you look at average post-graduation salaries, engineers are in the top 5, and it is a job that is in demand.

There are now pathways being developed for apprentices to start at 16/17 (with GCSEs) and then go through degree apprenticeships and into degrees, all the time while being in employment - so no debt.

Chartership is just about having a track record as an engineer and secondary education is totally set up to do that.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

In other Brexit news, Jeremy Clarkson is claiming that The Jeremy Kyle show was deliberately cancelled by ITV to punish 'fat, uneducated Northerners' for voting for Brexit.

That's a bit ironic coming from a very rich remainer who is himself a fat, uneducated Northerner.

7 minutes ago, apelike said:

That's a bit ironic coming from a very rich remainer who is himself a fat, uneducated Northerner.

You give me an another uneducated person who has an honorary doctorate in engineering. 

Just now, ez8004 said:

You give me an another uneducated person who has an honorary doctorate in engineering. 

What is an honorary doctorate? Do you go to university to earn and gain one or is it just given away? 

2 hours ago, craig12 said:

no deal get us out

So does jumping off a cliff.

4 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

Thursdays EU elections is basically a second referendum isnt it ? 

No.

Neither was the 2017 General Election.

11 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

Thursdays EU elections is basically a second referendum isnt it ? 

Brexit party v Remain parties. 

Looks like a peoples vote to me. 

Spot on. 

9 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Crackpot Brexiteer harrassing a Tory MP here. Looks like she has some conspiraloon website as she seems to be live streaming too.

"Brexit supporting MP called a liar while giving TV interview"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-48360602

Its amazing what you can find out on the internet with a bit of digging.  Besides reinforcing the stereotype of what Brexiteers are like, a lot of people are calling her out for this incident:

A woman given an Asbo for making repeated suicide attempts was arrested near cliffs just hours after failing to overturn the order, it has emerged.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/7911081.stm

The comments to her actions on Twitter are well worth a read. Barely any support whatsoever:

Edited by alchresearch

9 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Crackpot Brexiteer harrassing a Tory MP here. Looks like she has some conspiraloon website as she seems to be live streaming too.

"Brexit supporting MP called a liar while giving TV interview"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-48360602

If they're lied, call them a liar -i've not got a huge problem with that. Is it better or worse than having a milkshake chucked at them?

11 hours ago, Longcol said:

So does jumping off a cliff.

No.

Neither was the 2017 General Election.

It was.  The 2 parties that came first and second (and got like 80 percent of the vote), were running on a leave mandate.

The people have spoken.

16 hours ago, Baron99 said:

So let me get this right! 

The PM`s new deal for getting Brexit done & dusted is:  Back my plan for Brexit & then I'll give you a second referendum on whether you want to leave the EU & make Brexit happen?   Very confusing? 

16 hours ago, Robin-H said:

Not exactly. It's back my plan for Brexit and then I'll give you a vote on if you want a second referendum. They could vote against it. 

Exactly, and in all honesty it's a completely stupid offer.

What is the point in having a vote on a second referendum when Parliament has already ratified the withdrawal agreement, by then everything is well in motion and it's way too late.

You'd need 6-9 months to get it all organised, in which time we'll have left the EU and it will be a completely moot point.

I get the feeling most people see this as the final push to oust May, one more devastating loss in the house of commons and she'll do the right thing and sling her hook.

5 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

It was.  The 2 parties that came first and second (and got like 80 percent of the vote), were running on a leave mandate.

The people have spoken.

but neither got a majority to govern, so neither won and neither really need to completely honour their manifesto , Labour especially as they are the opposition.

Edited by geared

So, British Steel has gone into administration this morning.  Slow handclap for the brexiteers.