Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

British Steel on verge of administration

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48347371

Sources close to Greybull Capital say its lenders have told them that unless they can secure a £30m lifeline they will pull the plug on British Steel tomorrow.

LOL, nothing to do with Brexit.. right :hihi:

Edited by Magilla

Government already stuffed them £100m recently, no great surprise they aren't going to pony up another £75m.

15 hours ago, ez8004 said:

We are an absolute disappointment in the PISA ranking.  We are 23rd!  Why on Earth is that even acceptable when we have world class universities? 

I have family members who are teachers. they've tried to explain this to me.

no-one really cares about Pisa rankings.

people *really* care about the performance of their kids' school.

pretend you're a teacher, under pressure to get the best results you can for your class.

which pupils do you choose to distract with the pisa tests? - your A-star pupils, who are buckling down for their GCSE's?

or, to paraphrase one family member : 'the B team' ...

22 hours ago, ez8004 said:

The vast majority of people who fill menial jobs are people with a significantly lower attainment of education. To say otherwise is just an outright lie. 

And just ho who is saying that? What I have said is even though people may be well educated  and may have degrees does not guarantee that they will get a cushy high paid job.

22 hours ago, ez8004 said:

Why on Earth would I want to earn £50k/year fitting toilets when I can earn far more being a chartered engineer? 

And how many charted engineering jobs are to be had? Secondary education is not set up to teach people how to become a chartered engineer. Those are the jobs that the privileged take up because someone has paid for their higher education for them. Something the average 18 year old, even though they may have attained A levels, cannot do because of funding.

17 hours ago, ez8004 said:

I am already creating a nest egg so that I can send both my children to university.  By the time that happens, I think it will be around £60k a piece.  That is how much I think a good education is worth.   I don't want my kids to start adulthood with any form of financial inconvenience overhanging their heads.  Having said that, I need to see what the student loan structure is going to be then in order to determine what benefits there maybe to taking out a loan versus paying it off straight away.

That's why you are privileged as you can afford to send your children to university when most cant. What I was basically saying is would you be prepared to pay more taxes to help fund the underprivileged into higher education not your own?

We are an absolute disappointment in the PISA ranking.  We are 23rd!  Why on Earth is that even acceptable when we have world class universities? 

23rd is still a good average ranking across the board when you consider the countries that are below us and that it is out of 70. The big letdown in that scoring is in maths at 27th which drags us down a bit as its 17th in science and 21st in reading.

The Scandinavian countries knock us out the park and the far east Asian countries are ridiculous. 

But when over 80% of the funding for Scandinavian Universities comes from the Government what do you expect. Education is important but funding it more so.

BTW Thanks for posting the pisa ranking link as I just could not do it on the tablet.... :huh:

So let me get this right! 

The PM`s new deal for getting Brexit done & dusted is:  Back my plan for Brexit & then I'll give you a second referendum on whether you want to leave the EU & make Brexit happen?   Very confusing? 

All this just as it's being reported that the EU is possibly facing a new financial crisis with German productivity forecasts down; Italy with 2 TRILLION worth of debt & concerns over their banking system. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48258720

Makes me fell glad we're leaving.  We are leaving aren't we?  We had a vote didn't we? 

2 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

So let me get this right! 

The PM`s new deal for getting Brexit done & dusted is:  Back my plan for Brexit & then I'll give you a second referendum on whether you want to leave the EU & make Brexit happen?   Very confusing? 

All this just as it's being reported that the EU is possibly facing a new financial crisis with German productivity forecasts down; Italy with 2 TRILLION worth of debt & concerns over their banking system. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48258720

Makes me fell glad we're leaving.  We are leaving aren't we?  We had a vote didn't we? 

Not exactly. It's back my plan for Brexit and then I'll give you a vote on if you want a second referendum. They could vote against it. 

Thursdays EU elections is basically a second referendum isnt it ? 

Brexit party v Remain parties. 

Looks like a peoples vote to me. 

4 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Thursdays EU elections is basically a second referendum isnt it ? 

Brexit party v Remain parties. 

Looks like a peoples vote to me. 

Not if you're Vince Cable or Chuka Umunna speaking on the Andrew Marr programme last Sunday. 

Just listening to the ITN news.  May's deal already looks dead in the water. 

Corbyn's already said Labour won't vote for it. 

And the crackpot wing of her own party has gone into meltdown over the suggestion of any associated popular vote.

Virtually every pundit says that this deal will be defeated by an even greater margin than last time, which even in the face of the impending deadline was still defeated by 60 odd votes. They are saying that this time it will almost certainly go back to being defeated by over 100 votes.

In other Brexit news, Jeremy Clarkson is claiming that The Jeremy Kyle show was deliberately cancelled by ITV to punish 'fat, uneducated Northerners' for voting for Brexit.