Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

15 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Starmer all over the TV today waxing lyrical that the only way to end the deadlock is for another referendum.  See post 3082 around 11 on the list of clowns who are shown telling us all, Brexit is Brexit, there can be no going back. There he is joining in with the rest, "if you vote Brexit, that is it, there is no going back."  Was he telling porkies there, or is he telling porkies now. Not the kind of bloke you would want at your side if you were having a ruck is he.

Angel1.

Well in a sense there is no going back. The damage is already immense.

18 hours ago, ez8004 said:

I have said this before.  The uneducated Brexiteers don't even understand the actual definition of what being a traitor really means.

And I have said this before, as education has been compulsory in this country since 1880 there is no such thing as being uneducated. What is strange however is that those who consider themselves very educated don't actually know that.

4 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Well in a sense there is no going back. The damage is already immense.

So we might as well leave without a deal, which despite all the shenanigans in parliament is still the default.

Edited by apelike

10 minutes ago, apelike said:

So we might as well leave without a deal, which despite all the shenanigans in parliament is still the default.

No we shouldn’t leave without a deal because that would make the damage irreparable. At least now we have a chance to put some of it right

14 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

No we shouldn’t leave without a deal because that would make the damage irreparable. At least now we have a chance to put some of it right

I’m starting to think that we have another referendum, it should a straight stay-as-we-are or a no deal. Even leavers with a couple of brain cells to rub together have started to twig that the best deal is the one we’ve got and anything else would be a fudge. 

Now, I suspect a no deal would be disaster, but the ripples would hopefully reshape British politics and put the like of Boris and farage in a deep dark hole where them and their populist mates are never heard from again. If we don’t get a no deal, we stay in.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

And I have said this before, as education has been compulsory in this country since 1880 there is no such thing as being uneducated. What is strange however is that those who consider themselves very educated don't actually know that.

If you think getting five GCSEs is sufficient to being called educated in this age then you need to get with the times. I would question people who do not have A-Levels or equivalent to being inadequately educated. 

Your default position as you keep banging on about will never happen. Just accept it. 

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

I’m starting to think that we have another referendum, it should a straight stay-as-we-are or a no deal. Even leavers with a couple of brain cells to rub together have started to twig that the best deal is the one we’ve got and anything else would be a fudge. 

Now, I suspect a no deal would be disaster, but the ripples would hopefully reshape British politics and put the like of Boris and farage in a deep dark hole where them and their populist mates are never heard from again. If we don’t get a no deal, we stay in.

The problem with this is that it will lean the majority towards remain because they aren’t stupid to go for no deal. 

Secondly, MPs can’t  go for a straight no deal versus remain because they will knowingly put the country at risk. It is hugely irresponsible and the majority of MPs know it. 

6 hours ago, apelike said:

And I have said this before, as education has been compulsory in this country since 1880 there is no such thing as being uneducated.

I suggest that you watch some TV quiz programmes.

In the last moth alone I have seen a 50 year old man who had never heard of Shakespeare, a second year law student who had never heard of Loch Ness, a 21 year old who gave World War 3 as an answer to a question about the Somme and the teenage son of a friend of mine who doesn't know if dinosaurs still exist or not.

Being compelled to attend school is not the same as receiving an education.

On 17/05/2019 at 18:05, Lex Luthor said:

I love it when you're so condescending.  It does wonders for Monsieur Farage. 

Does it? How so?

15 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I’m reminded of a chat with my kid this past weekend, about her old schoolmates in Retford (she met with them briefly, when visited the U.K. the week before Easter), and how she’s doing now, academically and in herself, compared to them.

Anti-intellectualism runs strong in British schools, wherein bullying, self-harming, truancy and many other psych & peer group problems seem rife.

20 hours ago, ez8004 said:

If you think getting five GCSEs is sufficient to being called educated in this age then you need to get with the times. I would question people who do not have A-Levels or equivalent to being inadequately educated. 

You may question that as you class yourself as elite and above others, you have also changed your stance from calling people uneducated now to inadequately educated which is different. Unfortunately for you five GCSEs are the standard in terms of secondary education in the UK whether you like it or not.

15 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I suggest that you watch some TV quiz programmes.

No thanks as I don't watch TV as its for the bored under-educated.. cough!

Quite true and that's one of the reason we have SATS. But who are the ones responsible for deciding what our children learn and how that is done.

Edited by apelike