Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think abstain infers a conscious decision - can't be arsed my be better. Farage and a few other big guns are being wheeled out (admittedly most of them can't get elected as an MP or have retired) and remain haven't got the big names. The last by election pointed to a low turn out and euro elections are always low. But who always votes, rain or shine? Old people. 

I'm predicting a brexit clean sweep and Boris Johnson pushing a no deal from number 10 not long after. 

Not sure about the Euro elections but I do hope you are wrong about the Boris Johnson  bit .

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Not sure about the Euro elections but I do hope you are wrong about the Boris Johnson  bit .

I hope I'm wrong about all of it. You might be in school holidays as well (don't know - date sounds about right?) And that wont help either.

36 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think abstain infers a conscious decision - can't be arsed my be better. Farage and a few other big guns are being wheeled out (admittedly most of them can't get elected as an MP or have retired) and remain haven't got the big names. The last by election pointed to a low turn out and euro elections are always low. But who always votes, rain or shine? Old people. 

I'm predicting a brexit clean sweep and Boris Johnson pushing a no deal from number 10 not long after. 

Hopefully the millions of remain voters will get behind the lib dems or greens

7 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Hopefully the millions of remain voters will get behind the lib dems or greens

Why ?

4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Why ?

cos the tories and labore have shown to be tossers, leavers will get behind UKIP, old Nige and Wee Tommy

its essentially leave versus remain again

22 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Why ?

I can think of one great reason: to help smash the two party system

The Brexit party, UKIP and even Yaxley-Lennon have a role to play in that as well.

Watching Question Time, the Brexit Boo Boys seem to have got their mojo back. Louder than I've heard them for a few months now and they seem to be getting stuck in behind Trump. 😀

Not surprised about that , with that pathetic panel 

10 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Remain has got Rachel Johnson and Gavin Esler for the 'Change UK-TIG' party, who are top of the list in their regions. Surely everyone who supports the status quo will vote for Change?

13 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I recall suggesting that you be more optimistic some weeks ago...

...but after spending a week in/around Sheffield & north Notts (14-21 Apr.), I’m more minded to side with you now.

I hadn’t visited the place since we’d Brexoded. Since then, just about all anchor stores gone from Worksop & Rotherham, many gone from Retford, more boarded up units in M’hall, and drab people with 6 ft long faces and moaning everywhere we went (some quite aggressive too, apparently over nothing, saw some guys having a right ding-dong outside Aldi Dinnington on Sat morning over a ‘parents’ car parking spot).

It all felt very grim.

You’re right, tfh: I can see the lashing out/protest vote doing still better this year, than it did in 2016 & 2017.

Edited by L00b

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 22:58, hackey lad said:

It may come across as a daft question but if we leave the EU and Scotland gains their independence as  little Jimmy has started banging on about  again and wants to stay in the EU . Would there have to be a hard border between England and Scotland ?

I don't think this is a daft question at all. And I must admit that I haven't done any research on this because I am way too busy at the mo - just browsing on my lunch breaks. But in my role I do deal with issues that refer to the home nations, such as devolution, so have some knowledge of the matter.

The way I understand it, it is the UK that is a member of the EU, NOT England, Scotland, Wales and NI. That means if the UK leaves the EU, Scotland would then have to leave the UK in order to apply for their own membership into the EU. This would likely come with all the strings attached  to any new country wanting to join - such as having to adopt the Euro and all trading / lawmaking conditions. There are many of these conditions and the UK only adopt 3 of them - a better 'deal' than any other country who is a member (I believe Denmark adopt 4).

Should Scotland be successful and given EU member status then, has been said elsewhere, it is likely a hard border will be required, along with currency changes etc. Whether Scotland will actually decide leaving the UK and joining the EU would then be worth it is debatable, but not impossible.

Happy to be corrected on any of the above - like I say, I haven't had time to research.

Edited by DnAuK

At least we already have a hard border with scotland lol, hadrians wall