Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

6 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

A quick GOOGLE tells me, 32times. And your point is?

Angel1

Muchas gracias.

20 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

It would be like getting the child catcher from chitty chitty bangbang to read bedtime stories.

A face like a slapped arse and a Savile Row suit doesn't help.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

On the subject of UK steel production, more Project Fear Brexit news.

“Brexit: British Steel seeks £100m government loan to meet EU rules”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47921375

What the BBC report doesn't mention is that a short-term commercial loan from the UK government to help out British Steel will certainly breach EU rules regarding state aid.

Let's get out of the EU nut house as quickly as possible!

7 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

What the BBC report doesn't mention is that a short-term commercial loan from the UK government to help out British Steel will certainly breach EU rules regarding state aid.

Let's get out of the EU nut house as quickly as possible!

Leave it out, I'm off to France with the wife and kids this summer. Can't beat a bit of culture.

1 hour ago, Mister Gee said:

You can't be talking about Farage, kids would see through him in minutes.

It was a joke, I was referring to what the poster watches and the comment in 2294..  

5 minutes ago, apelike said:

It was a joke, I was referring to what the poster watches and the comment in 2294..  

Never? It would be nice to see you in France again.

8 minutes ago, apelike said:

Its the EU commission which is an independent body that proposes any laws. Those proposals then get consulted on by the members of the EU Parliament and the Council which then in turn get voted on, and if agreed the laws are adopted. The members, and in this case the UK, do not get involved in the creation and making of those laws except to vote and agree on amendments.

4 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

British Steel is not asking for charity or a bailout. Its wants a short term commercial loan. A repayable loan, with an interest rate.

Any national government should be able to provide this. But our EU membership prevents us helping out this company - the UK's second biggest steelmaker.

We need to ditch the EU and put people before EU competition.

Let's do this!

Blah blah blah.

38 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

British Steel is not asking for charity or a bailout. Its wants a short term commercial loan. A repayable loan, with an interest rate.

Any national government should be able to provide this. But our EU membership prevents us helping out this company - the UK's second biggest steelmaker.

We need to ditch the EU and put people before EU competition.

Let's do this!

If it wants a short term commercial loan, surely it can go to the marketplace. This would not contravene EU regulations.

Edit. Oops, just seen Resolution’s post

Edited by Eater Sundae

39 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Blah blah blah.

Ahh.. A CBeebies moment, though I was right! :D

8 minutes ago, Eater Sundae said:

If it wants a short term commercial loan, surely it can go to the marketplace. This would not contravene EU regulations.

Its similar to Forgemasters, they would not have been able to get a loan unless it was with government help.

Edited by apelike

3 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

What would your description be of the biased BBC presenters.

Just as an aside, I point you to Question Time, where the first guest (forgot his name) asked to speak started off by saying that the usual BBC bias continues unabated,  "why am I the  only Brexiteer out of 5 guests", says it all in my opinion.

Angel1.

It was Charles Moore, editor of the Telegraph. When he was invited onto it's sister programme Any Questions on Radio 4, he did the same thing - whinged about the lack of impartiality (simply because the audience booed him)

29 minutes ago, apelike said:

Ahh.. A CBeebies moment, though I was right! :D

Its similar to Forgemasters, they would not have been able to get a loan unless it was with government help.

What's a CBeebies moment?

9 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Then all those steelworks, engineering firms, cutlery factories, shipyards and mills must be a figment of my imagination - sorry!

Thought I remembered visiting many of them in my job when they stretched from the Wicker Goods Station, all the way to Tinsley and beyond

Although I did hear that there is a lot of amnesia about these days.

Then that shows who the fools are which makes my point

No they are not a figment of your imagination and I worked in steel and heavy engineering from 1965 onwards.

However year on year from that time such industries were in decline with wholesale closures,scaling down and passing into foreign ownership.

Perhaps I did see a time of reasonable optimism in the 60s,but this dissipated through the 70s and onwards.

Heavy Engineering ,shipbuilding ,auto engineering ,white goods ,Foundries were all in decline and I attended many an auction where our plant and equipment was snapped up for the Indian market.

No government has provided the long term backing needed for this country to be self sufficient and to serve the intermittent nature of large engineering projects.

Short term thinking ,asset stripping and outsourcing has killed our industry and I cannot see any prospect of creating a competitive manufacturing base in the future.