Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

7 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Still can't see them voting in the same sort of percentages as the oldies though.

I was with about 10 people who will soon be first time voters and at least 8 of them say they will use their vote at the next election, although some were unsure which party to vote for.  So TCH could be right about young people being more into politics.

So us oldies, me and you, might get a surprise at the next election with younger voters.

I asked my 16 year old how kids at their school feel. This is a summary

- Most of their friends would vote if they could

- can count on the fingers of one hand the kids they know of who support leave

- those who do support leave get the micky taken out of them

- the general feeling is the kids hate Brexit and don’t want to leave

If this is repeated everywhere then young people won’t forgive our politicians if we leave

Edited by I1L2T3

10 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

The commission only implements the will of the 28 members. It can’t make laws. It is basically the civil service of the EU. I’ve worked personally with deputy commissioners and they are about as far as you can get from the idea of somebody undemocratically imposing on a country.

The true executive power rests with the council and parliament.

The EU Commission is the executive arm of the EU, the sole EU institution tabling laws for adoption by the Parliament and the Council. It sets EU spending priorities, draws up annual budgets for approval by the Parliament and Council and supervises how the money is spent.

The EU Commission is the EU executive, according to the EU.

10 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Really?

You can’t turn on your telly without seeing school kids walking out to protest about climate change, school closures or any number of issues.

Kids have never been more politicised!

Children have always been highly motivated about having a day off school.

Edited by Car Boot

49 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

If this is repeated everywhere then young people won’t forgive our politicians if we leave

Simply because the kids have never known anything else and everyone fears the unknown.

They have no knowledge of when Britain was the world leader in almost every field.

21 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

The EU Commission is the executive arm of the EU, the sole EU institution tabling laws for adoption by the Parliament and the Council. It sets EU spending priorities, draws up annual budgets for approval by the Parliament and Council and supervises how the money is spent.

The EU Commission is the EU executive, according to the EU.

Children have always been highly motivated about having a day off school.

You are confusing the word executive with the word power.

Power does not rest with the commission. The commission itself has been losing influence gradually over the years anyway.

True power in the EU rests with the council and the parliament. Elected democratically.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

Simply because the kids have never known anything else and everyone fears the unknown.

They have no knowledge of when Britain was the world leader in almost every field.

We’re not in the 19th century any more.

Don't try and take our kids back to that.

1 hour ago, I1L2T3 said:

Aren't you worried about kids being brainwashed at school.

17 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

and the world was a very different place back then, now we are so intertwined with the EU you CANT extract us without hurting us.

53 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

We’re not in the 19th century any more.

Don't try and take our kids back to that.

I was referring to the 20th century and things were far better through my teens, 20's and 30's than they have been for many years.

Plenty of proper full time jobs for everyone and no Europe dictating as to what we could and could not do.

Kids would be glad to go back to that if they could experience it.

Our great leaders fault that we are so intertwined - we simply joined the Common Market (not a bad idea in itself)

Allowing them to make and over-rule our laws and immigration rules should never have happened. 

Successive Prime Ministers have given away all our powers since then.

Just remember also that if we stay in Europe now,  it's going to be a very different Europe from the one we are trying to leave at this moment and it's going to cost us a hell of a lot more money than we pay now. so there is going to be plenty of hurt either way. The Britain I knew had the backbone to stand on it's own feet and accept a challenge.

Edited by Organgrinder
missed a bit out

52 minutes ago, retep said:

Aren't you worried about kids being brainwashed at school.

No, I’m more worried about the less well educated and older generations getting brainwashed by the Sun, Daily Mail and targeted ads/posts on Facebook.

For balance, at my kids school there are a number of leave-supporting teachers. They discuss views openly with the kids which is very healthy.

I wouldn’t talk down our younger generations. They know when they are being lied to and none are better at lying than the right wing media, Brexit leaders and the Facebook campaigns funded by shadowy money.

17 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I was referring to the 20th century and things were far better through my teens, 20's and 30's than they have been for many years.

Plenty of proper full time jobs for everyone and no Europe dictating as to what we could and could not do.

Kids would be glad to go back to that if they could experience it.

Our great leaders fault that we are so intertwined - we simply joined the Common Market (not a bad idea in itself)

Allowing them to make and over-rule our laws and immigration rules should never have happened. 

Successive Prime Ministers have given away all our powers since then.

Just remember also that if we stay in Europe now,  it's going to be a very different Europe from the one we are trying to leave at this moment and it's going to cost us a hell of a lot more money than we pay now. so there is going to be plenty of hurt either way. The Britain I knew had the backbone to stand on it's own feet and accept a challenge.

It’s a mythical past that didn’t really exist. Life was tough for most people. Extremely tough.

Im old enough to remember much of what you describe.

You’re just regurgitating a rose-tinted view of a past we can’t ever go back to.

Sorry, but that’s the truth.

5 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

It’s a mythical past that didn’t really exist. Life was tough for most people. Extremely tough.

Im old enough to remember much of what you describe.

You’re just regurgitating a rose-tinted view of a past we can’t ever go back to.

Sorry, but that’s the truth.

If it's a mythical past that didn't really exist, how do you remember much of it.

I was born in 1940 into a very poor, one parent family and from the early fifties things got better for all of us, our friends and our neighbours. That's not mythical or rose tinted,  it happened.

We can't  go back to that past but we can get stuck in and recreate a proud country where we rebuild our manufacturing base and make our own rules again.

Most of the countries in the world are not members of the European Union and they seem to manage fine. Do you think we are too useless to do the same? I don't

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

I am retired and do not remember such times.

15 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Most of the countries in the world are not members of the European Union and they seem to manage fine.

and most of the world arent intertwined with the EU so dont need to worry about destroying their standard of living and economies as they try to extract themselves