Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

4 minutes ago, apelike said:

Hang on ..you were always disputing the result and saying because it was advisory it didnt count. You also predicted that another referendum would take place last December.

No, I stated the referendum was advisory, which it was and that the government was under no legal obligation to fufill leaving the EU even if Leave won, which again it wasn't.  These are actually facts believe it or not.

My prediction of have a second referendum in December was simply because I did not see leaving on the 29th March as ever being likely.  Which surprise surprise, we didn't.  I thought the only way to not leave was a second vote.  What I did not forsee was Parliament getting choked up in the way it has.  So, my overall end point still stands, we are still in the EU after 29th March. 

Edited by ez8004

8 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Some did but many thought that it was purely for the benefit of the Tory Party’s threat from UKIP and as it wasn’t binding, didn’t see that it really had much to do with them.

Right , so they didn't bother to vote and now they are crying foul .  Glad you cleared that up .

10 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

We were supposed to leave last month.  How did that work out?

No one is disputing the 2016 result.  The leavers are losing the argument on actually implementing leaving.  The referendum result doesn't matter anymore.

Top Cats Hat is .

Just now, hackey lad said:

Right , so they didn't bother to vote and now they are crying foul .  Glad you cleared that up .

Top Cats Hat is .

Well, anyone can dispute all they want at this point to be honest.  Bottom line is, it doesn't actually matter anymore.

Ok , glad you think that is alright, ignoring the vote of the people

17 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Top Cats Hat is .

I have never disputed the result. 

What I have done is question the value of making a massive, life changing political decision based on the wishes of a minority of our citizens through a vote where the participants were largely self-selected.

The referendum should have been either compulsory or binding only if a clear majority of the electorate of all parts of the UK was achieved. Failing that, we remain as we are.

Scotland does not want to leave the EU but a small majority’s those who voted in England and Wales say they have to. That is not democracy and is why we are in such a mess.

3 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Can you please stop the personal attacks?

This link here, from the European Parliament, states that the EU Commission "is the principal executive body of the European Union".

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/factsheets/en/sheet/25/the-european-commission

I suggest that you read it.

The commission only implements the will of the 28 members. It can’t make laws. It is basically the civil service of the EU. I’ve worked personally with deputy commissioners and they are about as far as you can get from the idea of somebody undemocratically imposing on a country.

The true executive power rests with the council and parliament.

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

They were polls of people who were eligible to vote, not people who intended to vote, hence the difference.

The 2016 referendum was a poll for leavers which is why Leave supporters were always more likely to vote in it. Even then they only scraped through.

Wrong.

The 2016 vote was of Remainers, by Remainers and for Remainers.

It was supposed to shore up our confirmed membership of the EU - for ever. Instead, it proved that the Remainers knew there was nothing positive about staying in, only the fear of the negative if we voted to Leave.

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Not what the polls indicate, which is significant change, not to mention that 2 million new voters will almost certainly vote remain and 2 million dead leave voters won't vote at all.

The 2 million very young new voters are unlikely to vote at all.

Edited by Car Boot

8 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Wrong.

It was supposed to shore up our confirmed membership of the EU - for ever. Instead, it proved that the Remainers knew there was nothing positive about staying in, only the fear of the negative if we voted to Leave.

You have no confidence to state that but lets run with that assumption, then surely there is not reason against a second vote is there or are you just another coward from the leave side who can't come up with a reasonable argument?

16 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Really?

You can’t turn on your telly without seeing school kids walking out to protest about climate change, school closures or any number of issues.

Kids have never been more politicised!

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Really?

You can’t turn on your telly without seeing school kids walking out to protest about climate change, school closures or any number of issues.

Yes already posted tonight about a kid saying the planet will be dead in 12 years. Because they are politicised dosent make them right 

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I have never disputed the result. 

What I have done is question the value of making a massive, life changing political decision based on the wishes of a minority of our citizens through a vote where the participants were largely self-selected.

The referendum should have been either compulsory or binding only if a clear majority of the electorate of all parts of the UK was achieved. Failing that, we remain as we are.

Scotland does not want to leave the EU but a small majority’s those who voted in England and Wales say they have to. That is not democracy and is why we are in such a mess.

Where remain voters allowed to vote ? If they were why didn't they ?

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Really?

Still can't see them voting in the same sort of percentages as the oldies though.

8 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Wrong.

Well, I guess we could just look at the turnout for young voters for the first referendum.

About 64% of registered voters aged 18-24 went to polls, study reveals, but 90% of over-65s voted

Imagine it would be similar for a second one, perhaps higher amongst the youngest portion.

You can see how it increased though through the age ranges

rising to 65% among 25-to-39-year-olds and 66% among those aged between 40 and 54. It increased to 74% among the 55-to-64 age group and 90% for those aged 65 and over.

Do you think that the 34%+ who didn't vote would be so complacent again?  And remember that the younger the voter, the more likely they were to vote remain.

70% of that lowest age group voted remain.

And of the 2 million who have since died, well 90% of them DID vote, and a majority for exit, so those are exit votes that are definitely gone.

The only possible complication is if getting older actually makes you more likely to vote exit then in reality it wouldn't have any impact whatsoever.

But apart from a few people who are obviously lying I've heard very few people change from stay to leave, but quite a lot change from exit to stay.

Edited by Cyclone