Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

5 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Yes you did.

Nationality and national origin are protected characteristics.

Do you not consider British to be a nationality or a national origin?

Why are you manouvering the discussion in this particular direction?

Edited by Car Boot

To be fair, that Express Article is simply a reaction to being butthurt that recent reports have shown that not only do immigrants make a net contribution to the exchequer but have no discernible impact on health and education. Even impact on housing is minimised by the fact that as immigrants aren’t entitled to benefits or social housing on arrival so most go into the bottom end of the private rental sector.

Complaining that immigrants send most of their money home is seriously clutching at straws.

Apart from the ONS having no more idea how much money is sent abroad than it knows how much I spend on Mars Bars, a newspaper rooted in conservative, free market economics really shouldn’t be telling anyone how to spend their money.

No, like the Daily Mail, the Express’s campaign against immigration is simply based in racism, not sound economics, and recent information shows that.

3/10

15 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Nationality and national origin are protected characteristics.

Do you not consider British to be a nationality or a national origin?

Why are you manouvering the discussion in this particular direction?

I don't consider it to be a race, so it can't be racist can it.

Why did you call it racist if you didn't want to talk about it?

7 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I consider maligning a whole group of people, based solely on their protected characteristics of nationality or national origin, as being lazy and feckless to be an example of extreme prejudice and hatred. Even racism.

Perhaps you don't, simply because it was a Remain supporter that made the statement? 

Perhaps you agree with the statement?

8 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I'm not defending hate speech. You are.

Edited by Car Boot

I don't consider it to be racist, because by definition British is not a race.

It is a massive stereotype and unwarranted generalisation, but not racist.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

(...)

Complaining that immigrants send most of their money home is seriously clutching at straws.

It's not so much clutching at straws, as a stunning example of economically-illiterate bad faith.

Makes me wish those immigrants would give British farmers the rods en masse for the 2019 season (more so than they already did in 2018), to the extent that all those who have so far relied tacitly on their labour for the sake of a convenient life, yet object to how they spend their very hard-earned as just more imbecilic populist dog whistles, would have no choice left but to get off their gammonly asses and go pick their own fruits and veg :twisted:

Sadly, the prospects of a hard Brexit, which would have dispensed much of the requisite conscience-taking within some of the British public, are now diminishing by the day...

...so you've got a good decade at least of "everything Brexit every day" to come now :D

(...)

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

I never stated that it was. Why introduce such a thing into the discussion?

You were the one that brought racism into this discussion by accusing people of being such...

Excellent tweet from Brendan Chilton, Labour Councillor and former Head of the Labour Leave campaign during the EU Referendum:

"Remain is the new establishment- intrinsic conservatism. Leave is the new challenging radical alternative. Amazing that the modern progressive left are now on the establishment side and not the radical side of history."

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrendanChilton

Remain is conservatism. Leave is the radical alternative. Very true.

6 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Excellent tweet from Brendan Chilton, Labour Councillor and former Head of the Labour Leave campaign during the EU Referendum:

"Remain is the new establishment- intrinsic conservatism. Leave is the new challenging radical alternative. Amazing that the modern progressive left are now on the establishment side and not the radical side of history."

No it isn't.

9 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Remaining in the collecitivised EU is very much the radical progressive way forwards.

Conservative, both big and little c is to leave as that was the original status quo...

5 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

No it isn't.

Actually i agree with Car Boot on this.   Remain is the status quo.  It is the sensible, moderate course - the unradical alternative.  As such it is very much the essence of small c conservatism while departing into the unknown, undergoing a risky and revolutionary leave is very much a radical move.

Don't confuse conservatism as a philosophy with the Conservative Party, which now seems to embrace petty Little Englander nationalism over true conservatism.

48 minutes ago, L00b said:

It's not so much clutching at straws, as a stunning example of economically-illiterate bad faith.

Makes me wish those immigrants would give British farmers the rods en masse for the 2019 season (more so than they already did in 2018), to the extent that all those who have so far relied tacitly on their labour for the sake of a convenient life, yet object to how they spend their very hard-earned as just more imbecilic populist dog whistles, would have no choice left but to get off their gammonly asses and go pick their own fruits and veg :twisted:

Sadly, the prospects of a hard Brexit, which would have dispensed much of the requisite conscience-taking within some of the British public, are now diminishing by the day...

...so you've got a good decade at least of "everything Brexit every day" to come now :D

This is what I was saying earlier. The Bulgarians I know that used to come over to harvest various crops went to other EU countries last year and did hospitality jobs. They tell me they have to speak several languages to work in hospitality or supermarkets in their own country in the tourist resorts so they have the language skills to be flexible.