Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

2 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

All it means is we are STILL heading for the default position of No Deal. That is the only thing that IS set in law.

Even the Solicitor General is saying that no Brexit is becoming more likely.

Just keep repeating the same nonsense and burying your head in the sand.  It was the law that we were leaving today at 11pm.  How is that working out?

Parliament is taking control and the government is beginning to take a back seat.  The problem with the PM is that she does not see that she is a servant to the House.  The sooner she sees that the better.  The will of the House will not be denied by the likes of her.

The DUP is coming to the idea that Remain is the preferred option. 

Edited by ez8004

May has no authority.

Time for a long extension and an election.

My compromise as a remainer is not revoking A50

21 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

Just keep repeating the same nonsense and burying your head in the sand.  It was the law that we were leaving today at 11pm.  How is that working out?

Parliament is taking control and the government is beginning to take a back seat.  The problem with the PM is that she does not see that she is a servant to the House.  The sooner she sees that the better.  The will of the House will not be denied by the likes of her.

Remain suits the DUP because it is the best option for preservation of the union, and is practically all they care about at this stage

20 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

That would be interesting. Many in the ERG look to the DUP on this issue, but if the DUP say that remain is the preferred option, I think some of the ERG would spontaneously combust with rage!

4 minutes ago, Mister M said:

That would be interesting. Many in the ERG look to the DUP on this issue, but if the DUP say that remain is the preferred option, I think some of the ERG would spontaneously combust with rage!

Hopefully, lol

So what will we see on Monday?

Bercow will decide which of the eight 'indicative' motions come back for debate.  A second referendum or a customs union will definitely be back as the two closest to getting a majority. No deal definitely won't!

So if Brexit isn't sacked off, could we be looking at a compromise 'stay in a customs union' deal with a public referendum on the proposal vs remain?

The EU would agree to that in a heartbeat.

4 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Bercow will decide which of the eight 'indicative' motions come back for debate.  A second referendum or a customs union will definitely be back as the two closest to getting a majority. No deal definitely won't!

So if Brexit isn't sacked off, could we be looking at a compromise 'stay in a customs union' deal with a public referendum on the proposal vs remain?

There are plenty of remainers who would be kind of crudgingly happy to leave the political union but still have a customs union but the rabid leavers insist Brexit means leaving both, despite only one of those options being on the non binding referendum ballot paper.

May and her swivvle eyed loons have precipitated this calamity by insisting on red lines and a brexit that would make everybody worse off

16 minutes ago, Mister M said:

DUP have the union as priority one and Brexit as priority two

ERG have Brexit as priority one and the union as priority two, three, four or what ever

Those two very different stances just had a 300mph head-on collision

10 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Yes that option is entirely within Barnier’s negotiating remit

25 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I think that particular love affair may be over.

Rees-Mogg voted FOR May's deal today!

17 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

They would. And CU got the highest vote. The 'problem' with that one is that it had complete Labour support, with a smattering of others, and nearly full tory opposition. Be interesting to see if it can be forced through.

Also was it 'a' customs union, or 'the' customs union? Can't remember if it also included single market?

Edited by woodview

3 minutes ago, woodview said:

They would. And CU got the highest vote. The 'problem' with that one is that it had complete Labour support, with a smattering of others, and nearly full tory opposition. Be interesting to see if it can be forced through.

Also was it 'a' customs union, or 'the' customs union? Can't remember if it also included single market?

Actually the 'second referendum' option got the highest vote (268).

Now that May's deal is effectively dead, there are Remainer Conservative MPs who may support Ken Clarke's customs union option if they are free of the party whip. With hard Brexit/no deal options off the table the crackpot wing of the Tory party have effectively been frozen out of the process.

By the way, Rees-Mogg has knackered his chances of becoming party leader as he was always going to have to rely on the Baker-Francois part of the ERG who presumably now regard him as a traitor for bottling it and supporting May at the last minute.

It doesn't matter what parliament votes for now the withdrawal deal still needs passing unless it's no deal or a second referendum. My wife who voted to remain was so furious after today's vote she said that's her done with politics calling those who voted against self serving pricks has another remainer I can't disagree with her this parliament is a disgrace. I've heard that civil unrest would happen if parliament failed to deliver brexit but dismissed it I'm not so sure now. My daughter who is a police officer and a lot of her colleagues also think it more than a possibility.

14 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

It doesn't matter what parliament votes for now the withdrawal deal still needs passing unless it's no deal or a second referendum. My wife who voted to remain was so furious after today's vote she said that's her done with politics calling those who voted against self serving pricks has another remainer I can't disagree with her this parliament is a disgrace. I've heard that civil unrest would happen if parliament failed to deliver brexit but dismissed it I'm not so sure now. My daughter who is a police officer and a lot of her colleagues also think it more than a possibility.

Project Fear much? Just anecdotal opinions?