Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

45 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Typical BBC TV planning. If the Question time "show" audience were selected one third Remain, one third Brexit and one third undecided I will eat my hat. It appears now the BBC have abandoned completely any balance of opinion and have gone all out Remain.

29/03/2019 the day Democracy was put to death. RIP.

Angel1.

If you're still crying, can you bottle those tears for in case I fancy a tipple later :D

3 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

The general thrust of Remain`s argument, as you know full well, was that there would be an economic impact. Leave, on the other hand, dismissed it all as "Project Fear". AFAIK nobody now, even Brexiteers, are suggesting there would be no economic impact, particularly in the case of a no deal, or relatively hard, Brexit.

A hard brexit has an economic impact, and other forms do too, much less so.

They aren't on the scale of Osbornes warnings though, and obviously that one never transpired at all.

Everything we vote for has an economic impact, whether it's supporting a war in Iraq, or more funds to social services.

3 minutes ago, woodview said:

They aren't on the scale of Osbornes warnings though, and obviously that one never transpired at all.

Everything we vote for has an economic impact, whether it's supporting a war in Iraq, or more funds to social services.

I don't think many people voted for war in Iraq outside of the board room of BAE systems.

Just over an hour and half until Mays swan song and she has to admit she's run out of road to kick that can along.

12 minutes ago, woodview said:

No deal is off the scale compared to Osborne’s warnings

8 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I don't think many people voted for war in Iraq outside of the board room of BAE systems.

Just over an hour and half until Mays swan song and she has to admit she's run out of road to kick that can along.

It’s amazing how quickly extreme Brexiters have moved towards May’s deal. They’ve sold out.

57 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

I seem to recall that by now we were to have 40 trade deals signed ready to go , issues with NI sorted *and* full single market access with none of the responsibilities.

If democracy really has died, the root cause is those undeliverable fantasies.

19 minutes ago, woodview said:

Who cares what a discredited former Chancellor said any more than they care what a discredited former Prime Minister said?

Meanwhile in 2019, the British Chambers of Commerce yesterday claimed that the ongoing uncertainty of the current Brexit process is deeply damaging for investment into the UK. More Project Fear I suppose?

Back on the subject of QT last night, it was refreshing to have economist and former Greek minister Yanis Varoufakis on the panel. As somone who has been engaged in lengthy crisis negotiations with the EU he spoke with some experience.

The tories on the panel looked very uncomfortable when he described May's deal as like one a nation signs only after having been defeated at war! 😵

As remainers have always said, triggering Article 50 was like crashing your car on the way to the car dealers for a part exchange and still expecting the dealer to give you a good trade in price. It was never going to happen!

5 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

You are extremely naive and under-estimate the feelings of more than half of the country who feel betrayed by the traditional parties and will neither trust nor vote for them ever again. 

What REALLY annoys me about Brexiteers banging on about "voters losing respect for democracy" is that it forgets that whatever happens a significant %age of the population will lose respect for democracy. I have already lost faith in British democracy because (if Brexit goes ahead) permanent political power has been achieved by lying. But that`s only the start of it, a high %age of young voters have lost faith in democracy because they were too young to vote at the referendum and are having to put up with something for which there is no longer a majority in this country. Basically they`re being dragged out of the EU on the votes of people who aren`t even here any more.

permanent political power has been achieved by lying :

wpb492454e_01_1a.jpg

Edited by Justin Smith

How did you manage to embed a picture??

Thats never been a feature before 😮

2 minutes ago, geared said:

How did you manage to embed a picture??

Thats never been a feature before 😮

Left click on picture (on a website) > Properties > copy Address URL > paste into insert other media URL

More and more Forums are offering this, incl two others I use.

Edited by Justin Smith

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

That was more likely to be the day after the referendum in 2016 when the government decided to pursue a course of action based on the wishes of both a minority of the electorate and and an even greater minority of the population. Democracy was even further damaged in 2017 when the Labour Party decided to put party before principle and support a process which not only did not have majority support of UK citizens, but which 12 months earlier had said would be deeply damaging to the UK.

Except for a few honourable exceptions, the concept of principle seems to have completely vanished during the past three years.

35 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Who cares what a discredited former Chancellor said any more than they care what a discredited former Prime Minister said?

Well, seeing as they led the Remain campaign, and used millions in public funds, to influence millions of voters, I would have thought we all cared.

That's the basis if this mini discussion.

I'm saying both sides lied.

Your view seems to be that Farage lied, but you don't care Osborne and Cameron did.

Very selective judgement and doesn't look like an intelligent unbiased approach at all.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

My point is, lots of decisions have economic impacts. Is the left wing view now to just support anything, based on gdp growth effect?

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

I thought that was the 19th of Jan 2019, or thereabouts, which was the day that Britain became a pro Remain country (due to the age profile of Leaver and Remain voters), see the Independent article.

"These calculations assume that not one person who voted in the last referendum has changed their mind – and that those whom abstained then would stay at home again. In fact, YouGov’s research shows that a fair number of today’s under 25s who were old enough last time but did not do so, would vote in a new referendum; and these people would divide 82-18 per cent for Remain. (This compares with a 75-25 per cent preference for Remain among the under 25s who DID vote last time.)
I have NOT counted any rise in turnout among the under-25s in my prediction that Crossover Day will be January 19. Were I to do so, this would, again, bring the day forward; indeed, it might already have happened".

Edited by Justin Smith