Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

1 minute ago, woodview said:

I'm talking about Parliamentarians enacting what has been asked of them. I have no clue what you are calling 'mob rule'.

There was a referendum involving lots of discussion, the result being Leave. Then there was a GE, with the two biggest parties both standing on Leave manifestos. We now have a process in Parliament, where elected representatives are free voting (hopefully) on a range of options.There is no mob rule, there is a perfectly civilised democratic process happening. The fact you don't like the outcome is inconsequential.

I don't know where you've got the idea I don't like democracy from. Lots of my posts, and especially with you, have been voicing my concerns about our reduced voice due to only being 10% ish of the EU. Also, if you can copy and paste a post where I've used the phrase 'will of the people' I'll send £10 to Stronger in Europe.

"enacting what`s been asked of them"

It`s impossible to enact what`s asked of them, because Brexit, as advertised by Leave, does not exist.

1 minute ago, Justin Smith said:

"enacting what`s been asked of them"

It`s impossible to enact what`s asked of them, because Brexit, as advertised by Leave, does not exist.

They can enact what was asked of them as advertised by their own manifestos. When you voted Labour in 2017, they told you and the millions of others who voted for them, that they supported Leaving and entering a Single Market / Customs Union.

Edited by woodview

Just now, Hots on said:

Until of course the EU, with us in it, presses on with the unpalatable things that won't suit this country at all, such as common tax and welfare policies right across all EU member states and an EU army and so on.

All of which we can and would opt out of in exactly the same way we opted out of the Eurozone and Schengen.   

Because we can.  Because we have an excellent deal with the EU, having all the benefits and having the ability to cherry pick how much of the other stuff we want  or don't want.  Because, even in the so-called evil empire EU, the UK parliament has always retained its sovereignty.

Here's challenge Hots On.  Name me ONE EU law that materially impacts you on a day to day basis, outside of course of the EU working time directive which helps you.  Just one.  

9 minutes ago, bendix said:

All of which we can and would opt out of in exactly the same way we opted out of the Eurozone and Schengen.   

Because we can.  Because we have an excellent deal with the EU, having all the benefits and having the ability to cherry pick how much of the other stuff we want  or don't want.  Because, even in the so-called evil empire EU, the UK parliament has always retained its sovereignty.

Here's challenge Hots On.  Name me ONE EU law that materially impacts you on a day to day basis, outside of course of the EU working time directive which helps you.  Just one.  

Can you explain the detail of this opting out of whatever we want please. And how we cherry pick what we want. That sounds interesting.

What a bizarre discussion. 

A manifesto is not a prescriptive list of policies.

If circumstances change there is no legal, moral or any other kind of compulsion to implement the policies in a manifesto. 

And with Brexit things have changed a lot

33 minutes ago, woodview said:

a hard Remain is going to upset lots of people. 

What on earth is a 'hard remain'?

2 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

1 - There`s no longer a majority for Brexit in this country

As pointed out before, the latest polls and data suggest that if another brexit referendum is held it would be so close that it would not necessarily mean remain or leave would win by a big majority. Basically we could end up with the same sort of result with either remain or leave getting a slim majority.

2 - Since almost everything Leave promised / predicted / pledged has failed to come about, their mandate is trashed.

Did they have a mandate?

Edited by apelike

22 minutes ago, woodview said:

They can enact what was asked of them as advertised by their own manifestos. When you voted Labour in 2017, they told you and the millions of others who voted for them, that they supported Leaving and entering a Single Market / Customs Union.

but they didn't win the election, so don't really have to worry about what was in the manifesto.

Technically the Tory's didn't win either, no single party got the majority backing of the voting public.

37 minutes ago, Hots on said:

Until of course the EU, with us in it, presses on with the unpalatable things that won't suit this country at all, such as common tax and welfare policies right across all EU member states and an EU army and so on.

Usual right wing conspiracy theory bobbins which has got us into this mess in the first place.

12 minutes ago, geared said:

but they didn't win the election, so don't really have to worry about what was in the manifesto.

Technically the Tory's didn't win either, no single party got the majority backing of the voting public.

But would you expect them to attempt to get their policies in their manifesto through Parliament if they could? If they had ended up in a coalition, they would have been saying they'll do it , so long as policy a,b or c is supported and the Tories drop policy x,y and z.

The manifesto tells us what they want to do if they are in a position to do it. They now potentially are.

I agree, no party has a majority backing. In most circumstances they get away with it and just do what they want. This one has panned out differently of course.

23 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

What on earth is a 'hard remain'?

Full-on EU membership with no notice of the concerns of the majority who voted Leave. It's the opposite of a hard brexit or no-deal brexit.

6 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Usual right wing conspiracy theory bobbins which has got us into this mess in the first place.

That's right. Uncle EU will always look after us and only do good things. Until Le Pen, or the Italian, Greek and Bulgarian right wing nutters start having a say, then things won't look so bright. I don't want them influencing what happens here.

49 minutes ago, bendix said:

Except they are moving towards restricting the ability to opt out. Read their latest statements. 

Edited by Gormenghast