Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

4 minutes ago, bendix said:

You keep saying that, but it seems untrue to me.  Anyone who voted Remain did so because they wanted things to stay the same as they are.  It's hard to think of any other reason why someone would vote to make no changes.

What are some of these many reasons Remain voters voted they way they did, in your view?

There are people who were inclined to vote Leave, because of concerns they had with the EU and issues raised by the Leave campaign. They voted Remain because they had concerns with doing so, raised by the Remain campaign. So, on the balance of the two, they voted Remain.

In this forum, there are lots of people who are very fixed at either end of the spectrum. That isn't representative of the general population. There is a very significant middle ground of people who would be happy with middle ground solutions.

8 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

I’ve not seen a single compelling argument for leaving. There are niggles of course but not one single solid reason.

Sovereignty innit.  And blue passports.  And those damn immigants.

etc etc.

7 minutes ago, geared said:

but there's no argument over how to implement Remain or what kind of Remain people actually wanted, it was very straightforward.

Obviously, it's simple, as it is the status quo. That is also a reason some people will have voted for it, they weren't sufficiently bothered either way, so the status quo is what you would pick in that scenario.

1 minute ago, bendix said:

Sovereignty innit.  And blue passports.  And those damn immigants.

etc etc.

And a reaction against people who say things like that.............

1 minute ago, woodview said:

There are people who were inclined to vote Leave, because of concerns they had with the EU and issues raised by the Leave campaign. They voted Remain because they had concerns with doing so, raised by the Remain campaign. So, on the balance of the two, they voted Remain.

In this forum, there are lots of people who are very fixed at either end of the spectrum. That isn't representative of the general population. There is a very significant middle ground of people who would be happy with middle ground solutions.

Euro-scepticism is prevalent among all Remainers.   As it should be.  That's why the UK has such a great position in the EU - the ability to shape policy and laws, and opt out of those we don't like like the Euro and Schengen.

And a reaction against people who say things like that.............

I'm sorry.  It's rude to suggest that people who do stupid things and can't explain logically oh coherently why they did those stupid things are stupid.   Non PC and all that.

Must try harder.

Euro-scepticism is prevalent among all Remainers.   As it should be.  That's why the UK has such a great position in the EU - the ability to shape policy and laws, and opt out of those we don't like like the Euro and Schengen.

Yes, reasons to Remain, which some will agree with and others won't. There are also several others being debated this afternoon, so we'll see how things go at looking for a compromise arrangements that may or may not satisfy sufficient people in Parliament and the country.

2 minutes ago, woodview said:

Yes, reasons to Remain, which some will agree with and others won't. There are also several others being debated this afternoon, so we'll see how things go at looking for a compromise arrangements that may or may not satisfy sufficient people in Parliament and the country.

There really aren't.  There is only one Remain option, and that is Revoking Article 50.  The other options are not Remain options at all.

There really aren't.  There is only one Remain option, and that is Revoking Article 50.  The other options are not Remain options at all.

I didn't mean remain options, I meant options.

Some people will only accept fully remain, and others, like Mogg will only be happy with Leave no-deal. There are a few tens of million people who are more open to somewhere in-between.

4 minutes ago, bendix said:

indeed, they are joining something worse than we had...NOT remaining (as we are)

9 minutes ago, melthebell said:

indeed, they are joining something worse than we had...NOT remaining (as we are)

So, what's the solution? You are fixed on only Remaining, no other option. You might have noticed, a few million people disagreed. It has been round the houses for 3 years. A a 'my way or the highway' approach hasn't worked for anybody in that time. Hopefully Parliament may be more pragmatic and find a path that can satisfy enough people.

2 minutes ago, woodview said:

So, what's the solution? You are fixed on only Remaining, no other option. You might have noticed, a few million people disagreed. It has been round the houses for 3 years. A a 'my way or the highway' approach hasn't worked for anybody in that time. Hopefully Parliament may be more pragmatic and find a path that can satisfy enough people.

remaining is the only option...every other option cuts off our noses to spite our faces, hurts us

I'm not one for conspiracies, but does anyone one else think Europe has offered May a cushy job and pension if she can get out of Brexit?

Given that it's nearly three years since the vote, and the likes of farage and davis (former chief negoiator) had years prior to come up with a plan and nobody has come up with one that keeps a decent majority of leavers happy, I'd suggest there isn't a solution. What makes you think a completely divided HoC can come up with a workable solution in less than a month?