Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

The 1:00pm news on Radio 4 reports today that Jacob Rees Mogg has indicated he may support the prime minister's agreement. I wonder when he hopes to express this change of mind? Presumably when the prime minister brings her agreement to the house for a third time following its comprehensive dismissal in the first and second votes. This is utterly shocking when we recall that there seems to be a determination on the part of the government to deny the people even a second vote. No doubt they believe that the right to change one's mind should be a privilege strictly limited to well-placed individuals such as Rees Mogg.

25 minutes ago, Staunton said:

The 1:00pm news on Radio 4 reports today that Jacob Rees Mogg has indicated he may support the prime minister's agreement. I wonder when he hopes to express this change of mind? Presumably when the prime minister brings her agreement to the house for a third time following its comprehensive dismissal in the first and second votes. This is utterly shocking when we recall that there seems to be a determination on the part of the government to deny the people even a second vote. No doubt they believe that the right to change one's mind should be a privilege strictly limited to well-placed individuals such as Rees Mogg.

It will be interesting to see the response to this change of heart from the Brexiteer voting public - who bellyahe and get angry when anyone merely hints at the suggetion that people might have changed their mind.

https://mobile.twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1110443949775298562

"the will of the people" has altered.

11 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Breaking News: DUP prefer a long Brexit process over May's deal

https://news.sky.com/story/dup-prefer-long-brexit-delay-to-pms-deal-sky-sources-11675614

If that is true, it has killed May's deal. 

Most of the crackpot wing  of the Tory party have said that they will take the lead from the DUP.

As I keep repeating on here, a no deal Brexit is the quickest way to a United Ireland and the DUP knows this. However bonkers Ulster Unionists are, given a choice between no deal and no Brexit they will always go for no Brexit so a long delay suits them.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

But has it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47693645

Quote from the above:

"In truth, the polls are too close for opponents of Brexit to assume that a second ballot would produce a different result.

But, equally, supporters of Brexit cannot say with confidence that the balance of opinion remains as it was in June 2016."

Edited by apelike

It was won by the slimmest of margins in 2016, I'm sure it'd be won by a slim margin should a second vote be called.

I'm sure the winners would declare "The will of the people" anyway.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

But has it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47693645

Quote from the above:

"In truth, the polls are too close for opponents of Brexit to assume that a second ballot would produce a different result.

But, equally, supporters of Brexit cannot say with confidence that the balance of opinion remains as it was in June 2016."

If only there were a way to find out what the people actually want...

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 17:10, Penistone999 said:

The positive for me is we are leaving . That is a positive,  simple as that.

It may be a positive for you, but not, almost certainly, for the majority of people in this country.

The fact is, particularly bearing in mind the age profile of Leave voters and Remain voters (unfortunately for Brexiteers the Grim Reaper has been at work since June 2016), there is no majority for Leave anymore. And, in fact, if you start quoting Respect For Democracy, bear in mind we would be leaving the EU on the backs of voters who aren`t even here now, and many of those most affected by it, the young, weren`t even allowed to vote then.

Funny kind of democracy.

.wpc703488c_01_1a.jpg 

I'd like to see these indicative votes carried out on a completely free vote, no whips. We need to get to a true consensus without any of the games that have been played right through.this process. Time for them to step up.

6 hours ago, woodview said:

I'm not interested in having a discussion with someone with so much hate inside them as you. Talk to someone else.

Hate?

I’m asking you an entirely reasonable question.

If you only support Brexit on balance then why slavishly support and promote debunked myths and lies?

5 hours ago, woodview said:

Err no, I'm all for having a frank discussion. That poster had loads of stuff deleted at the weekend because of the nature of the posts, then now using these kkk nickname thing, is unecessary and comes from a very dark place.

Did I have loads of posts deleted? Don’t think so.

The Grand Wizards nickname comes from members of the ERG and other Brexit leaders. Not made up by me.

5 hours ago, woodview said:

It's sad to see that in a week when some people are trying to form a consensus between what different people want, so the country can move forward together, others are more interested in name calling and trying to make implied associations where none exists.

Is that your idea of sensible politics? It's not mine, and most people in the country are sick of it.

Brilliant week to unveil a group name of Grand Wizards!!!!

Keep going. This is comedy gold.

57 minutes ago, Justin Smith said:

It may be a positive for you, but not, almost certainly, for the majority of people in this country.

The fact is, particularly bearing in mind the age profile of Leave voters and Remain voters (unfortunately for Brexiteers the Grim Reaper has been at work since June 2016), there is no majority for Leave anymore. And, in fact, if you start quoting Respect For Democracy, bear in mind we would be leaving the EU on the backs of voters who aren`t even here now, and many of those most affected by it, the young, weren`t even allowed to vote then.

Funny kind of democracy.

You should go back a few posts and read the link in post 966 which is more up to date and takes the above into account.