Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

1 minute ago, apelike said:

Probably..... 

Touché

16 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

As requested previously, provide the links.

No, do some reading yourself as that is what I did.

But to put it simply May has Royal Prerogative powers given to her by parliament by them passing the A50 bill into law and as such it is her and this government that control the withdrawal from the EU and not parliament. The Gina Miller was an example case that showed that the government could not on its own trigger A50 using prerogative powers so it had to be done by parliament passing it into law. When parliament do that whatever happens after that is then up to the government and PM not parliament. Once she has Prerogative Powers agreed by parliament then parliament cannot take them away easily unless the government changes. 

Edited by apelike

17 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

And would cause  major issues on the streets of this country. High ranking plod have already said as much . 

You will see worse if we are pulled out on a no deal you wait and see. You can't bring a country to it's knees on a referendum that was won on lies, deceit and illegalities. You do realise a referendum is a different ball game to an election  right? this country cannot afford a no deal, it just cant happen, it's impossible unless the government have a secret 4 trillion stash of surplus cash, it can't happen, it wont happen. If it does i really feel for the people who will suffer for it. I am in no way affiliated with Brexit, or government in anyway, or anything to do Brexit, but I apologise unreservedly if this government does decide to destroy your life, They won't apologise so I will. :)

27 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

And would cause  major issues on the streets of this country. High ranking plod have already said as much . 

Seriously, are you having a laugh?

We were told that if the UK didn't leave the EU on 29th March there would be riots on the streets and Wee Tommy Robinson and Nick Griffin would be leading a hundred thousand strong lynch mob with pitch forks and flaming torches down Whitehall. And what have we actually got? Nigel Farage leading a bunch of 150 sad clowns through a minor Nottinghamshire village.

And high ranking plod didn't say that. They said that there would be trouble on the streets if we left without a deal.

40 minutes ago, apelike said:

Parliament cannot revoke A50 only the PM can do that.

You actually mean that the Queen in Council can revoke it. The Cabinet is just a minor comittee of the Privy Council that advise the Monarch on how the country is run. That committee doesnt need a PM, it's just convenient, and it takes it's steer from th Commons.

24 minutes ago, apelike said:

No, do some reading yourself as that is what I did.

But to put it simply May has Royal Prerogative powers given to her by parliament by them passing the A50 bill into law and as such it is her and this government that control the withdrawal from the EU and not parliament. The Gina Miller was an example case that showed that the government could not on its own trigger A50 using prerogative powers so it had to be done by parliament passing it into law. When parliament do that whatever happens after that is then up to the government and PM not parliament. Once she has Prerogative Powers agreed by parliament then parliament cannot take them away easily unless the government changes. 

Once again, provide the links.

I have read up on it, and A50 revocation can be passed into law by Parliament. Are you saying May could ignore that? Seriously?

FWIW I don’t think A50 would be revoked as things stand, but I don’t agree with your explanation of the mechanism.

To convince me just provide a link.

Ive asked you for it 3 or 4 times now.

If Parliament voted to revoke Article 50 and May tried to block it, she would be taken aside and very politely reminded that she was neither a president nor a dictator.

Police estimates of up to 2 million on Saturday’s March.

150 (give or take a couple of dozen) on the march to leave. 

Edited by I1L2T3

6 hours ago, apelike said:

But its already passed into law.

You really know nothing. The following legislation is needed for us the leave the EU;

Withdrawal Agreement (in the event of leaving with a deal)

Trade Bill

Finance Services Bill

Agricultural Bill

Fisheries Bill

Immigration Bill

Healthcare Bill (replacing the likes of EHIC)

So yesterday’s march was on par with the anti war march in 2003. Admittedly the anti war march didn’t affect the government’s approach to the war. But didn’t they dearly pay for it at the following GE? The government now still has the opportunity to make it right. Will they be foolish enough to squander it?

One of the main arguments put forward by the remainers for overturning the referendum result is that it wasn't voted for by a clear majority of the adult population, yet they now claim that a march by 1 million people should influence government policy. Since when did 1 million represent a clear majority of the adult population?

2 hours ago, despritdan said:

Since when did 1 million represent a clear majority of the adult population?

It doesn’t, but then the 137 people who marched for Brexit doesn’t either! 😁