Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

23 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

Funny. The referendum wasn’t legally binding. How is that working out?

You have always been battering on about how the majority should be acted upon. But when it comes to the House of Commons it doesn’t count? How much of a hypocrite do you want to be?

The referendum result became legally binding after the House of Commons overwhelmingly passed legislation.  The poster is correct leaving without a deal on 29th March is still the legal default position.

47 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

There is no 'managed no deal' - Teresa has been hiding under a rock called 'my deal'. In 8 days this country will be plunged into chaos. 

If Parliament reject the deal on offer again, then there will be an emergency EU summit where a managed no deal could be arranged.

Edited by Lockdoctor

No there won't.

Operation Yellowhammer goes live Monday morning and you start preparing for a no deal Brexit and civil disorder. The rest of the EU was way ahead of you and making preparations a long time ago.

If nothing is agreed soon, the EU will simply tell you to sod off, we have had enough. If you dont realise that from Tusk's comments then I'm sorry but literally it cannot be clearer. We gave you the response back in four minutes - either you put your sodding House in order, or sorry, get lost. The EU has had enough.

May has two choices. Either revoke article 50, or promise a referendum, and hope to convince the EU leaders she's serious. Because TBH after that incoherent rambling last night, it's eminently clear she has lost control of the Commons and should be removed by the Queen as PM as per the Crowns reserved powers.

28 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

The referendum result became legally binding after the House of Commons overwhelmingly passed legislation.  The poster is correct leaving without a deal on 29th March is still the legal default position.

No it didn't.  The legislation passed is legally binding, the referendum was unchanged, still only an advisory referendum.

When the PM lost her majority after the last General election, she should have either stood down or put together an all party commission to negotiate Brexit. Without a clear mandate in the House of Commons how could she expect to push through the most divisive issue of our times?

The only way out of this mess is for a new government to take us forward, this current one does not have the authority over the House of Commons, so we must be approaching the  time for a no confidence vote and the ensuing General Election.

25 minutes ago, JFKvsNixon said:

When the PM lost her majority after the last General election, she should have either stood down or put together an all party commission to negotiate Brexit. Without a clear mandate in the House of Commons how could she expect to push through the most divisive issue of our times?

The only way out of this mess is for a new government to take us forward, this current one does not have the authority over the House of Commons, so we must be approaching the  time for a no confidence vote and the ensuing General Election.

I wonder if May decided to carry on because she wanted to have her name in the history books as the PM who navigated the UK out of the EU.

13 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I wonder if May decided to carry on because she wanted to have her name in the history books as the PM who navigated the UK out of the EU.

Possibly, but she was also the only one who had the bottle to stand up and do the job. None of her colleagues could do it. They had another opportunity in the vote of confidence to step in. Same apples to others from other parties.

So, for her very, very many faults, she's got more b***s than the others put together.

2 minutes ago, woodview said:

Possibly, but she was also the only one who had the bottle to stand up and do the job. None of her colleagues could do it. They had another opportunity in the vote of confidence to step in. Same apples to others from other parties.

So, for her very, very many faults, she's got more b***s than the others put together.

Totally agree with you.

Right now I'd prefer to be ruled by Brussels.  Because the entire UK government has lost the confidence of the people.

4 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Right now I'd prefer to be ruled by Brussels.  Because the entire UK government has lost the confidence of the people.

Looks like that's already happening - the Guardian are reporting that the EU are set to reject May's request for a 3 month delay, instead suggesting that they want a withdrawal date no later than 22nd of May

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/brexit-eu-rejects-mays-request-for-three-month-delay/ar-BBV2MPX?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=iehp

I seem to recall at the sart of the Brexit negotiations the press, like the ERG,  being full of arrogance and pomp proclaiming that 'they need us more than we need them'. Even members of the ERG aren't sounding so full of themselves.

It's come to a sorry end

It was all "sunlit uplands", "we hold all the cards", "easiest negotiation in history".  Lies.  Bald faced lies.

2 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

What is a managed no deal?

The UK and EU would continue trading the same on an interim basis.  The UK and EU would cooperate on other matters until future individual agreements are reached.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

No it didn't.  The legislation passed is legally binding, the referendum was unchanged, still only an advisory referendum.

The legislation passed that is legally binding states the UK are leaving the EU  which by default makes the result of the democratic 2016 EU referendum legally binding.