Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

We are the 5th richest country by GDP because of our Governments and the EU's policies, but because of our Governments policies we are only the 9th richest by PPP!

Ranking of the World's richest countries by GDP

1955 UK (2)

1960 UK (2)

1965 UK (3)

1970 UK (5)

1972 UK (5)

2018 UK (5)

The benefits of our EU membership have been greatly exaggerated.

1 hour ago, Penistone999 said:

That suits me fine.  We need a Brexiteer Prime minister 

You needed a Brexiteer Prime Minister from June 2016.

Someone who could speak with some belief and conviction on the benefits of Brexit,both to unite the supporters and to perhaps sway some Remainers that our exit would be managed in a coherent fashion.

No one stepped up to the plate,perhaps because they recognised from the outset that they could not advance their careers on the back of  this ill informed referendum result.

So May took the job and has split the Brexit camp,split the Conservative party and only managed to convince Remainers that they were right all along.

There is still no prospect of the next P.M. being able to get any credit out of this mess.

8 minutes ago, RJRB said:

You needed a Brexiteer Prime Minister from June 2016.

Someone who could speak with some belief and conviction on the benefits of Brexit,both to unite the supporters and to perhaps sway some Remainers that our exit would be managed in a coherent fashion.

No one stepped up to the plate,perhaps because they recognised from the outset that they could not advance their careers on the back of  this ill informed referendum result.

So May took the job and has split the Brexit camp,split the Conservative party and only managed to convince Remainers that they were right all along.

There is still no prospect of the next P.M. being able to get any credit out of this mess.

There are no benefits whatsoever to Brexit. That's  why the charlatans, spivs and shysters who built it up don't want to speak about with any belief or conviction now.

16 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Ranking of the World's richest countries by GDP

1955 UK (2)

1960 UK (2)

1965 UK (3)

1970 UK (5)

1972 UK (5)

2018 UK (5)

The benefits of our EU membership have been greatly exaggerated.

GDP (PPP) values

9th in 2018 according to IMF

9th in 2017 according to the World Bank

9th in 2017 according to CIA World Factbook

35 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I agree. The whole Brexit fiasco has shown Corbyn's and May's personal weaknesses. Corbyn, apparently unwilling to be in the same room as people from TIG, is very childish and petty. Especially at a time of crisis

I'm no fan of Corbyn but I do get fed up with him being repeatedly misrepresented.

He didn't storm out of the room because he was unwilling to be in the same room as them, he withdrew from the meeting because he had been invited to a meeting which he was told was for opposition party leaders only. When he arrived, he found out that this was not true as Ummuna and Soubry were there.

Whether he was right to leave the meeting is a different matter.

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I'm no fan of Corbyn but I do get fed up with him being repeatedly misrepresented.

He didn't storm out of the room because he was unwilling to be in the same room as them, he withdrew from the meeting because he had been invited to a meeting which he was told was for opposition party leaders only. When he arrived, he found out that this was not true as Ummuna and Soubry were there.

Well, Brexit is a Tory creation from beginning to end. It's very hard to have any sympathy with an argument that says that Labour or any other party has any responsibility for fixing it. You'll remember that Ed Milliband specifically ruled out an in/out referendum. But it seems Tories are always for personal responsibility for anyone but themselves.

What's the difference?      Its a sample fact that them being their was the cause for him to storm out.   

You can try and spin it how you want -   He still acted like a petulent child and has become tomorrow's headlines and twitter topic taking a big chunk of heat off May.    

This is a man who claims to be a credible leader.    A Prime Minister in waiting....     Man's a joke.

3 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

That suits me fine.  We need a Brexiteer Prime minister 

And who in the sorry crew of useless  (put your own........) do you suggest has the balls or the  ability to take on the negotiators on the other side?

Corbyn is fit only for the role of backbench stirrer, Boris the same who  bottled out when it came to it.

I bloody despair.

Why would the 27 what this lot of <removed>   back in the fold?

Edited by nikki-red

6 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

In that case I think he was wrong to leave the meeting. This is Corbyn's opportunity to show leadership and put aside something as minor as a mistake about Umunna / Soubry at a meeting.

I get the feeling that Corbyn will sleep better knowing that he feels he did the right thing by his conscience and etiquette, but actually theer are bigger things at stake.

7 minutes ago, Bob Arctor said:

Well, Brexit is a Tory creation from beginning to end. It's very hard to have any sympathy with an argument that says that Labour or any other party has any responsibility for fixing it. You'll remember that Ed Milliband specifically ruled out an in/out referendum. But it seems Tories are always for personal responsibility for anyone but themselves.

Oh, did Labour MPs not vote to proceed with a referendum on leaving the EU?    Did they not vote to commence the article 50  process?   Did several Labour MPs not set up their own leave campaign group?    Did they not vote on their own interpretation of a withdrawal agreement (which was promptly rejected)?

This is not all one sided.    Lets add on the fact that its estimated that 60% of Labour constituancies voted to LEAVE the EU.

The entire house needs to gets itself together not just the Tories.   They are all behaving as bad as each other. 

Irrelevant of the politics side I give credit for Teresa May for sticking with it at all (given that her personal choice was not to leave anyway).    She has an impossible job made even more difficult by her own party and the rest of the house stabbing her left, right and centre - despite none of the big mouths having the the balls to get up there and do it themselves.

How she has not turned round and told them all to shove it up their posterior astounds me.

Edited by ECCOnoob

5 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

This is not all one sided.   

This is true.

Labour fought the referendum campaign as a Remain Party claiming that leaving the EU would be deeply damaging to the UK and its citizens. They then fought the 2017 election promising to bring about something which less than 12 months previously, they had been telling the country was a very bad move.

Yes, Brexit was a right wing Tory project but Labour have to take their share of responsibility for the situation they find themselves in. The only parties who have clean hands in this whole business are the SNP, the Greens and the Lib Dems.