Consequences of Brexit [part 7] Read first post before posting

mort

Let me make this perfectly clear - any personal attacks will get you a suspension. The moderating team is not going to continually issue warnings. If you cannot remain civil and post within forum rules then do not bother to contribute. 

Message added by mort

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

we havent though, its a lie, hence why we along with the other bigger countries in the EU pay more than others...we had a great economy

By GDP the UK is the 2nd largest country in the EU, yet we pay the 3rd largest in contributions.

2 hours ago, taxman said:

So the Maybot has got a third chance of getting her deal through this week. No deal is quite rightly off the table so the only options she's allowing is her deal or extended membership.

The Backstop seems to be the sticking point....but can anyone, remain or leave, explain what the "backstop" is? For her Brexit no deal loving morons it seems to be a neverending link to Europe...why, how, what does it do?

I'm a remainer but I'm happy for a deal that doesn't leave us a poverty stricken island in the middle of nowhere with the only trade deals with Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu.

Can anyone explain what exactly the "backstop" is?

It is a legal mechanism, which maintains the UK aligned with EU regulations and other assorted Customs Union-implementing mechanisms, to ensure that the current absence of a physical border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Island remains in place, until the UK comes up with technical means to maintain scrutiny of cross-border shipments in Ireland even if it should diverge from the (said) EU regulations and other assorted Customs Union-implementing mechanisms.

It would not have been needed at all, if the DUP had not nixed the notion of a border in the Irish sea. They nixed it because they don't want to be treated any differently from the rest of the UK (notwithstanding that they're quite happy with exceptions when it suits, e.g. gay marriage and abortion). Since they have the cosh on Theresa May since the GE2017, she rolled the rest of the UK into the deal so that the border is not the Irish sea, therefore backstop.

EDIT to add/clarify: it's designed to kick in by default, only if the UK does not come up with the (said) technical means for maintaining scrutiny of cross-border shipments by 31 December 2020. If it's triggered then, it's also designed to then wind down, as soon as the UK comes up with the (said) technical means for maintaining scrutiny of cross-border shipments in Ireland, and the EU agrees those technical means do what they say on the tin. So. Brexiters, if you don't want the backstop to kick in, better get your thinking caps on.

Edited by L00b

9 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Your support for a neoliberal economic entity that primarily exists to promote the interests of capital is well noted on this forum.

Good. For a minute there, I was afraid people would start to take me for a sandal-wearing lentil-munching lefty.

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:56, Lex Luthor said:

Don't forget Blair and Cameron's meddling - the pariahs of modern day politics. 

Well, in the great game of "who's influencing Brexit for the British" , I'll see your two British pariahs, and I'll raise you foreign fascists like Salvini, Orban and Kaczynski.

You ready to call yet, or should we raise the stakes some more? ;)

Edited by L00b

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

It’s the 5th largest economy in world. 

Tell that to those struggling to feed their families. Also explain to them why rises in GDP have absolutely no improvement for the poorest's  standard of living.

1 minute ago, Car Boot said:

Tell that to those struggling to feed their families. Also explain to them why rises in GDP have absolutely no improvement for the poorest's  standard of living.

Genuine question - do you honestly believe there were no families struggling to feed themselves before the seventies? Because you come across like you do. You are perpetuating Corbyn's biggest fallacy - rose-tinted spectacles.

33 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

Genuine question - do you honestly believe there were no families struggling to feed themselves before the seventies? Because you come across like you do. You are perpetuating Corbyn's biggest fallacy - rose-tinted spectacles.

The best summing up I've heard of the UK's two political parties was: the Tories want to take us back in time to the 1950s and Labour wants to take us back to the 1970s.

What happened to forward looking politics in the UK?

23 hours ago, Car Boot said:

The deal we have at the moment is the reason a clear majority of the electorate voted to LEAVE the EU. 

You do realise that, yes?

It's better than the one we are going to end up with.

You voted to leave the EU because you fail at life and want anybody that's successful to suffer too.

You do realise that, yes?

Wake up call!! they will survive, the poor wont, they are the ones who will suffer, do you not see that at all?

Edited by Dardandec
Added info

2 hours ago, Dardandec said:

Wake up call!! they will survive, the poor wont, they are the ones who will suffer, do you not see that at all?

Ah, its think of the poor now when nobody could give a toss about them before! Are you one of them (the poor) or are you like the many remainers on here that are well off and just state the poor will suffer most  as part of their spin?

8 hours ago, L00b said:

Well, in the great game of "who's influencing Brexit for the British" , I'll see your two British pariahs, and I'll raise you foreign fascists like Salvini, Orban and Kaczynski.

You ready to call yet, or should we raise the stakes some more? ;)

Did any of those lead their countries in an illegal war? 

10 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Those failures are the responsibility of successive U.K. governments, not the EU.

Leaving the EU won’t fix the problems.

Leaving the EU will make the problems worse.

6 hours ago, apelike said:

Ah, its think of the poor now when nobody could give a toss about them before! Are you one of them (the poor) or are you like the many remainers on here that are well off and just state the poor will suffer most  as part of their spin?

It’s not spin. The poor will suffer most.

And it’s down to people who hold views like yours.

You can explain later I guess. If you’re not hiding from them

Edited by I1L2T3

4 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Did any of those lead their countries in an illegal war? 

I'm sorry, did you have a point about Brexit, "regaining control" and/or "foreign influence on British politics"  in there somewhere?

Because for all your  whattaboutery, that's what we're talking about here, and I'm not really seeing where Blair's middle eastern adventurism fits in.

Unless you wanted to make a point about US influence, Messrs Bush Junior & Cheney's influence to be precise, on British politics of the time, of course :twisted:

So, from your last 2 attempts at deflection, clearly you seem happy enough with Brexiters doing deals with foreign fascists so long as it helps deliver Brexit. Glad we eventually cleared that up.

11 days, by the way. Are you chilling champagne ready? 'Cos I am.

Edited by L00b