Monitor

Morning.   I'm not very Computer savvy so any help appreciated. My Monitor sometimes takes ages to come on, I'm wondering if it's on it's last legs ?  If I buy another one are they Plug and Play or do they need setting up ? Where is the best place to buy one ? Thanks in advance .

Edited by kevvy
Text

They're nearly all plug and play.

You can go to the little PC shops and pick one up, or head to an electrical retailer like Currys and look at the small screen TVs that they have, many have a PC setting and can be used as monitors.

It depends if you connect using a DVI/VGA cable or HDMI, just check to make sure they ave the right connections on the back.

Thank you for your reply.  Do you have any recommendations for any particular manufacturer ?

I wouldn't go too much by manufacturer alone but by what you want to use it for, what size is comfortable and more importantly what the specs on the graphics chip/card on the PC has. What make and model of monitor do you have at the moment and what PC?

Dell Ultrasharps and Asus Proart monitors are the ones I usually go for first.  IPS monitors are a must for me as well as the aspect ratio needing to be 16:10.  16:9 monitors are pointless. 

Always go for one that offer some form of premium panel guarantee.

Thanks for the replies. We just use it for general browsing, nothing fancy. We have a Hanns-G, HQ191D at the moment.  I have no idea on specs for the Graphic cards ?

Basic monitors are fairly cheap and looking at yours, you're either using VGA or DVI input. Your old monitor is quite low resolution by todays standards so it would help knowing your graphics or PC make/model.

As an idea you would be looking about £80 for a basic new monitor.

Are you sure it is the monitor which takes a long time to come on? It could be your computer takes a long time to boot up.

12 hours ago, andysm said:

Are you sure it is the monitor which takes a long time to come on? It could be your computer takes a long time to boot up.

Thanks . Hadn't thought of that .

If you have a modern TV, you MAY be able to plug your computer into your TV, purely to confirm if it is the monitor or the computer.....

Thank you for this tip. I'll check.