Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I live in a council home with my husband and two children my husband as asthma and COPD and is disabled my daughter as asthma and allergies life threatening allergies including mold and house dust mite. And my son as suspected asthma and skin conditions and I have allergies and asthma. We have mold damp silver fish and now we have found we have astbestos. We really need to get out asap. The council aren't doing anything about the mold damp or silver fish and they have planned to take the asbestos out but I'm concerned for our health I don't want to put our health at risk. They have put us in band c priority but I feel this is urgent. And I feel they not taking it seriously enough and not moving us quicker need help and advice please 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why wouodn’t the council address the issues with mold or dampness; are they are suggesting it is caused by something beyond their control?

Can you move into acommodation that is not provided by the council?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Condensation is often confused with damp.  Damp conditions then encourage wood lice (silver fish).  What did the council say about the problems when you reported them?

 

Have you taken all the actions to prevent condensation and mould that the council suggest in their leaflet?  https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/housing/council-housing/Damp and Condensation Leaflet.pdf

 

It may be worth checking with neighbours in the same type of property to see if they have had the same problems with their homes, and what action the council took, if any.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Do you dry your familys clothes inside?  Use a tumble dryer inside?  Have and use an extractor fan over the hob? Have an extractor fan in the bathroom?

Do you make sure to open windows regularly to ensure proper ventilation?

 

Damp throughout the property is often caused by the people living there, so it's up to them to solve it.

If the damp is in a specific location in one room it could be an issue with the gutters, drainpipe, flashing, window seal or a few other bits.

 

The reason the council didn't jump to help is because usually it's the tenants fault and not the property.

Edited by geared

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with everything. Just to say that asbestos is fine so long as it is left alone. Start to move it or break it up etc then it is dangerous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.