Hello!  I am seeking relatives of my late husband.      They were named PORTMAN and lived in GRENOSIDE in and around 1973.    

Len Portman was a Mine manager in WW2 and was killed in a road accident in about 1940/42 I believe.

Also George Portman lived in Grenoside in or around 1973

Did anyone know either of them?

Also Denis Hubbard. Who lived in Grenoside in or around 1984/85

i would love to find links to them for my children’s sake.

Hi Susan Ashmore – welcome to the Forum!

In case it is helpful, looking at online public records the deaths index confirms that Leonard Portman, born 1915, died in 1942. His older brothers George and John, also his older sisters Kate and Olive appear on the 1911 census return with their parents George and Edna at "Whitley Grenoside", George snr. being a  miner – here is a link to a scan.

https://i.postimg.cc/rmtDCFWS/1911.jpg

The "1939 Register" shows George, Edna and Leonard, also Dora Hubbard, at Hoyle House Cottage, Whitley Lane, Ecclesfield.

George Portman jnr. was born on 26 April 1908 and died in the Sheffield area in 1988. The 1939 Register shows him as a miner, living with his wife Clara at 1 Stafford Place, Rotherham.

Edited by hillsbro

Hi Susan,

On the 2 February 1924, there is a double marriage at The Parish Church, Grenoside.

Kate Portman of Hoyle House, Whitley, daughter of George Portman, miner, married Walter Wilkinson of 2 School Lane, Grenoside.

AND

Olive Portman of Hoyle House, Whitley, daughter of George Portman, miner, married David Finby Womersley of 8 Hawthorne Road,

Hillsborough.

They were both by Licence.

Sheffield Independent 18 August 1933.   (Article + photo).

The birth of a daughter to Mr & Mrs Walter Wilkinson of Greenhill Avenue, Woodseats, Sheffield, makes four generations in the

family of Mr & Mrs Ezra Portman of 53 Ecclesfield Lane, Chapeltown, near Sheffield.  The Photo shows Mrs E. Portman, aged 80 years,

Mr George Portman aged 56, Mrs Walter Wilkinson aged 32 years and baby Rose Mary Wilkinson.

Mr George Portman, who is the licensee of the Acorn Inn, Bracken Hill, Chapeltown, was for a number of years president and delegate

respectively of the Smithwood Colliery branch of the Yorkshire Mine Workers Association.

He is now president of the Smithwood Colliery agency of the Thornsliffe and Rockingham Permanent Relief Society.

Moira.

Thank you very much indeed for this info.  I shall be in touch again.  (It’s too late at night just now!).

thank you again.  Susan Ashmore

Many thanks to a friend for alerting me to this post, as I have not visited this Forum in a long time.    I am a member of the Portman family - my Mum Jean Portman was the sister of Leonard, and George and Edna Portman were my grandparents.   Sue and I have now made contact  and are overwhelmed to have found each other after many many years.   We are busy exchanging information and photographs.  Thank you also to everyone who has contributed the above information.

It's good to know that the Forum has, once more, been able to help people find each other again! 🙂

Yes indeed!   I had almost given up hope of being able to trace Uncle Leonard's family.  I will be checking into the Forum on a regular basis from now on.😊