Bloody Sunday. This Might Be A Lively Topic.

On 14/03/2019 at 09:21, woodview said:

What about the thousands who were killed and injured by both Unionist and Republican terrorists, in acts that were planned over long periods of time. It's been decided to stop those prosecutions and issue amnesties.

How can the two be reconciled?

i think you have summed up the situation very well   and i could not agree more

some people will not agree with you but i have not seen anyone offer a good argument for attempting to prosecute soldiers that were under orders some 50 years ago.  if anything i'd prosecute those that advocate persecuting ex soldiers now in their 70s for terrorism.   alleged participants in incidents that happened two generations ago can hardly be judged by a jury of their peers..   at 70 their peers are exempt from jury service.

Almost everything that happened in relation to the 'troubles'  in NI back then was a tragedy most people these days don't know much about any of it and understand even less. so how the hell can judgement be passed on some soldiers whilst some terrorists  are being venerated.

6 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Remind us of the age of the soldiers who We're at My Lai - different country but similar era. Maybe the age of the soldiers at bantang Kali. Just because they're British it doesn't give them a free pass. If theyve done nothing wrong theyll be found not guilty.

keep up tfh we talking about bloody sunday start another thread if you want to discuss any other country 

8 hours ago, fill said:

if anything i'd prosecute those that advocate persecuting ex soldiers now in their 70s for terrorism.   

Among many stupid comments on this thread, that one must sit right at the top.

It disturbs me that after what happened in Christchurch on Friday, so many people don't seem to have a problem with British soldiers shooting dead British citizens! 

3 hours ago, ricgem2002 said:

keep up tfh we talking about bloody sunday start another thread if you want to discuss any other country 

Nice swerve. Whats WW2 got to do with anything? Maybe you should start another thread?

The SDLP leader has used parliamentary privilege to name one of the soldiers involved in Bloody Sunday who was facing murder charges, despite the judge in the case stating that 'Soldier F' should be granted anonymity & the case was on the brink of being dismissed. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57825284

"The Foyle MP named Soldier F during a debate in the House of Commons on the Armed Forces Bill on Tuesday afternoon.  The soldier is also facing five attempted murder charges." 

One of the reasons given is that the soldier's name is already out there on social media. 

Edited by Baron99

After naming him, the Foyle MP said: "For 50 years he has been granted anonymity and now the government want to grant him an amnesty.

"No one involved in murder during the Troubles should be granted an amnesty."

Will this work both ways? 

Will former terrorists now be named? 

My first thought is "Is the proposed amnesty a way of dealing with the NI fallout from Brexit?"

15 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

After naming him, the Foyle MP said: "For 50 years he has been granted anonymity and now the government want to grant him an amnesty.

"No one involved in murder during the Troubles should be granted an amnesty."

Will this work both ways? 

Will former terrorists now be named? 

They already have been many times, though not all of them of course.

Have a watch of BBC NI 8 part series on the troubles - plenty of former terrorists on both sides admitting what they did and plenty of naming (and even doorstepping) of others who still have not.

45 minutes ago, Delbow said:

My first thought is "Is the proposed amnesty a way of dealing with the NI fallout from Brexit?"

you mean as a distraction?

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

Your first thought is utter nonsense.  I'm in favour of an amnesty for all prosecutions related to the troubles if ensures that no former British soldiers will face anymore legal proceedings.  Johnny Mercer deserves much credit for his campaign to support former British soldiers.

And if they committed a crime "they were just following orders?"

29 minutes ago, West 77 said:

But, they haven't committed any crime because this is Great Britain and everyone is innocent until proven guilty.  I think your quote is best left in history at the Nuremberg trials where there were no British soldiers accused of any wrong doing.

But we don't know if they have committed any crimes?

5 hours ago, nightrider said:

you mean as a distraction?

No, not really. I mean that the government is in a bind: they had to agree to the border in the Irish Sea to get a deal with the EU, this has upset the unionists. The alternative is a hard border on the island of Ireland: this would upset the republicans. So they have to work out who they would rather upset, and one way of doing that is to think about things they can do to offset that upset. I might be wrong, but it seems an odd time for the UK govt to be announcing an amnesty, and it seems an interesting coincidence that they have NI headaches and difficult decisions at this time.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

But, they haven't committed any crime because this is Great Britain and everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

It's presumed innocent until proven guilty. Or are you going to claim Peter Sutcliffe hadn't committed any murders when he was arrested, hadn't committed any murders during evidence presentation stages of his trial and only committed multiple murders between the jury being sent away to consider a verdict and them returning a guilt verdict?