Crimes committed in virtual worlds of the future.

https://www.hg.org

With virtual multi-player worlds growing in popularity, there's real concern over virtual crimes spilling over into the real world,  blurring the distinction between the two. Conversely, it has also been said that the connection between virtual crimes and real crimes is tenuous at best. Which makes me wonder about offences committed in virtual worlds of the future. For instance. If future technology enables the minds of multiple players to reside in virtual worlds indefinitely, physically interacting, seeing through their own eyes so to speak whilst their physical self is zoned-out somewhere- matrix like.

would committing virtual crimes such as robbery, assault, rape and murder warrant appropriate charges being brought against the actual person?

This may have been raised many times before, there may well be a novel or movie that relates to it, I'm not sure. I'm just exploring the idea that's all. 

Edited by danot

9 hours ago, woolyhead said:

Yes. Virtual crimes warrant virtual charges.

So you're saying offences committed in the virtual world wouldn't be recognised as actual crimes here in the real world since the perpetrator isn't real? Meaning nothing would carry over into this world. 

What if futuristic virtual gaming became so realistic, so compelling and seductive that unscrupulous gamers seeking personal gain/gratification were leaving their victims psychologically affected following the experience? Would the psychological trauma of virtual assault incriminate the zoned-out gamer  responsible for the virtual assault?

It's dark I know but just go with it.