Sadly I said goodbye to the most important women in my life yesterday my mum, on our last journey together we passed a young workman a gentleman and two ladies who restored my faith in human nature. If you were the gents who removed your headwear and the ladies who made a sign of the cross I say thank you to you all x

A sad day for you - my condolences.

A similar thing happened to me last October, travelling to Hutcliffe Wood. The hearse and cars were held up at Broadfield Road traffic lights, and a workman on the pavement stood, bowed slightly and crossed himself.

As you say, a rare sight...but perhaps not as unusual as we think.

God speed to your mum.

I saw a fairly young (no older than 20) lad take his baseball cap off when a Hearst drove past..  brought tears to my eyes to see the respect he had. 

Very sorry for your loss op x

Edited by bertyboop

Following my uncle's hearse last year up to Grenoside Crem, we drove slowly by a man sat on the pavement, propping up the privet, can of beer in hand.   As we passed, he took off his  baseball cap and bowed his head in respect to us.  That simple kind gesture meant so much .

My condolences to you at this very sad time.