There's quite a trade in second-hand quality watches.  For whatever reasons, people get fed up of certain watches after a while and want to trade them for something else.  I have kept the original boxes that my watches came in and this includes the warranties as well.  It's a bit like it used to be with cars...if you have them serviced or repaired anywhere other than the main dealer, you risk invalidating the warranty.  So, for me, for the type of watches I'm talking about, I don't really have much option but to send them back to the manufacturer.  But if this wasn't the case then the suggestions by Nankypoo above sound really good.  It is a dying art but it's good to know that a few still exist.

I bought a 25 year old swatch watch off eBay 6 months ago it is mint hardly worn the seller was very nice iwon it for £12 the same watch went for £140 last week ! 

I collect watches, Have done for forty odd years!

I used to send mine to a chap in Leicester called Chris Burrage of Rite Time watch repairs but last I heard he had stopped taking on work (Think he had so much that he couldn't keep up!!)..

Of course there was special delivery charges both ways on top of the cost of the repair! 

Biggsy 👍

I've always been happy with the service and prices at Parker's in Hillsborough, they do the work in house and are very experienced and capable.

10 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

It is a dying art but it's good to know that a few still exist.

My sister in law's dad was a watch repairer and died last year. I'm after his tools but I'm at the back of a very long list!

When he died he left each family member a watch that he had acquired over a lifetime's repairing. A grandchild got very lucky with a 1935 watch which has been valued at £17,000! 😱

Watch hospital at meadowhall 

A  great watch repair man in the market hall in Chesterfield.  He comes highly recommended.

19 hours ago, haddy said:

Watch hospital at meadowhall 

They must have improved,  some years  ago I took on of my watches on recommendation from a pal It was a 1942 Helios swiss movement well known make. German standard wartime issue for the Wehrmacht Thousands still about  hundreds on e bay for about £200 so nothing special. It was working and keeping time , it just wanted a clean and service

It was as if I'd taken them a sonic screwdriver for repair

Edited by Odd-jobs

Did they clean and service it ? Do they sell quality used watches at the watch hospital ?

Guest makapaka
On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 06:37, DerbyTup said:

There are many places that offer watch repairs, like Timpson's, the watch hospital at Meadowhall, and similar places in many shopping malls.  Essentially, if it's anything more than just replacing a watch strap or battery they are not of much use.  In fact, depending on the type of watch you have, they may not be much use even for replacing the battery.  

I took one of my watches in to H. L. Brown in the last couple of weeks actually.  It just needs a new battery.  But they can't do it in house.  It has to go back to the manufacturers, to have it fitted, and the watch will be re-sealed.  It's a Breitling watch - so quite expensive.  And the cost of a new battery is £120 and it will take 4-6 weeks.

When I was living and working in Switzerland a few years ago I had a new battery put in it.  They charged me 30 Euro's and it took about half an hour.  So, if you're going to Switzerland anytime then...

Sounds like the OP has a potentially valuable watch?  1960's auto.  It's unfortunate that the days of watch repairs being a lifetime's art for some has gone.  If the watch is worth something, and it sounds like it probably is, I'd bite the bullet and take it into a proper jewellers.

In case you didn't catch it...... they own a Breitling watch.

On 16/03/2019 at 16:45, Top Cats Hat said:

My sister in law's dad was a watch repairer and died last year. I'm after his tools but I'm at the back of a very long list!

When he died he left each family member a watch that he had acquired over a lifetime's repairing. A grandchild got very lucky with a 1935 watch which has been valued at £17,000! 😱

Wow!  That's amazing!  I wonder what that cost back in the day?  Probably less than £100?  

What sort/make of watch is it?