will the Blades go up?

42 minutes ago, ALAN 58 said:

Neither, the Blades will go up  but will not spend what is needed to stay there , CW has done a good job but it takes more than bringing in players  who are prepared to run through walls we are talking PL it requires real investment  to stay there. Do you see your owners spending millions?  i  do not think so.  The Owls will challenge next year, can we invest , we have to await  the outcome  our P and S.  Our chairman who is prepared to put his hand in his pocket  is not allowed to. So who know,s.  My view is Blades will be in a battle to stay up  the Owls will be in a battle to get up.  Nothing more would i like to see a PL derby but  i don,t see it for a while yet.

I agree with most of what you have said.

Let's be honest: neither of the Sheffield clubs has the financial muscle to compete with the top half of the PL so if (and it's a big if) one or both teams go up, it is going to be a constant battle for survival. Other posters on here have said that they would rather see Championship football than the conning and shenanigans that pervades in the PL and I agree with that. Whilst promotion is financially desirable, I'd be happy to stick with my team playing in a league where they can be expected to do well. Under Chris Wilder, the Blades have the 'winning mentality' and I'd hate to see that disappear in the PL as it surely would.

I'd still like to see us promoted as the team has worked hard and deserves something for their efforts, but it has it's down side.

You just can't win.......

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, SgtDave said:

Let's be honest: neither of the Sheffield clubs has the financial muscle to compete with the top half of the PL so if (and it's a big if) one or both teams go up, it is going to be a constant battle for survival. Other posters on here have said that they would rather see Championship football than the conning and shenanigans that pervades in the PL and I agree with that. Whilst promotion is financially desirable, I'd be happy to stick with my team playing in a league where they can be expected to do well. Under Chris Wilder, the Blades have the 'winning mentality' and I'd hate to see that disappear in the PL as it surely would.

I'd still like to see us promoted as the team has worked hard and deserves something for their efforts, but it has it's down side.

A season or two like Huddersfield is all I'd want Wednesday to stay there for, relegation battles every season don't appeal to me. I also wouldn't want the chairman to go silly with his spending to try to stay up.

I think you'll go up, especially if you best leeds. fair play you have been up there all season so it wouldn't of been undeserved

1 hour ago, SgtDave said:

Let's be honest: neither of the Sheffield clubs has the financial muscle to compete with the top half of the PL so if (and it's a big if) one or both teams go up, it is going to be a constant battle for survival. Other posters on here have said that they would rather see Championship football than the conning and shenanigans that pervades in the PL and I agree with that. 

Can"t agree Dave,  surely the whole point of football is trying to achieve the best possible outcome, lingering mid table in the Championship is not desirable for me, bring on the big boys, lets compete with the best.

6 minutes ago, Padders said:

Can"t agree Dave,  surely the whole point of football is trying to achieve the best possible outcome, lingering mid table in the Championship is not desirable for me, bring on the big boys, lets compete with the best.

If either Sheffield team were able to compete with the best financially, I'd agree with you but let's face it - neither club are in that position. It's just not a level playing field when you can predict the top 6 in the PL before the season starts.

9 minutes ago, SgtDave said:

If either Sheffield team were able to compete with the best financially, I'd agree with you but let's face it - neither club are in that position. It's just not a level playing field when you can predict the top 6 in the PL before the season starts.

I know where you are coming from, but Leicester City defied the odds, a one off, yes, but they proved it can be done.

Just now, Padders said:

I know where you are coming from, but Leicester City defied the odds, a one off, yes, but they proved it can be done.

Somehow, I thought you'd come back with that one. Spooky.....but point taken.

I think the Leicester thing was a definite once in a 100 years moment, the big clubs were in transition and Leicester took the initiative, the aim outside the regular top 6 is merely to survive, a WBA fan I know said he was going to home games just to see his team scrape a draw yet he's loved this season, Fulham and Huddersfield have had a truly miserable time with a paltry tally of wins, the top flight is all teams aim but I think its for the golden goose rather than the product on offer.

Edited by Brooker11

8 minutes ago, SgtDave said:

Somehow, I thought you'd come back with that one. Spooky.....but point taken.

I understand your point Dave, always value your posts,  Iv"e just got a bee in my bonnet when some guys say there happy with staying in the Championship, as I said in a previous post... its like Chesterfield fans saying, were only a small club , we like the national league where we can compete.

Most of the teams in the premiership bar top6, dont even think about winning the league when it starts in August, imho, its possible for the top teams in the championship to compete with the bottom 9 or 10 in the premiership. WHU,Leicester, Everton  and say like Wolves/Watford this year make up the rest, staying in there and if they are  watching the books, make themselves financially ok. Teams  should try and get into the premiership and stay there  at least,  not give up while  in the  championship 

Are they no ceilings on spending in the PL.? Over here they have salary caps or luxury taxes in all major sports to help curb the payrolls of the wealthier teams.

Edited by Ontarian1981

With the Blades potential spending power, all I can see if we get to the PL is the embarrassment that Huddersfield are currently experiencing. I really do not want the Blades to have to recover from that scenario.

Now if we had a happy boardroom that were prepared to splash the cash, that would be a different matter.

It really is hard to call: the team deserve their chance if we manage to get promoted but I would hate to see the team disintegrate if the PL dream is not backed up with the appropriate financial investment in the team.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, SgtDave said:

You have just about summed it up Dave .I love the Championship and hate the prem .Fighting relegation every year would not be to my liking and we have to be honest even if we had a Chairman that would spend money no one could expect him to compete with the Man Cities and Chelsea's of this world.Unfortunately the days of a level playing field are  long gone  the days when every club had a chance of winning something in the top flight.A couple of seasons would make a big difference financially to the club but who would benefit that would depend on the outcome of the court case which is coming up and knowing the Blades that could be a self inflicted set back.Also that could not be to our managers liking which really worries me.