courrier services collecting large item

would anyone happen to know the cheapest way of using a courier collection service on bulky items many miles away , id like to buy some car wheels and tyres , I think theyre around 165 miles away from Sheffield, is it easier to select a courier nearest the items for sale?

Edited by craig12

Depends on the direction. If it’s 165 miles towards that there London for example, couriers based here will drop something off there and potentially come back empty. You might get a good deal if that’s the case. 165 miles to nowhereville you might not.

I bought spare wheels for winter tyres from birmingham. I just drove and had them in the car. Measure it up, could work out quicker and cheaper. Even renting a van for the day would be cheaper, I've had them off enterprise for £30.

27 minutes ago, craig12 said:

would anyone happen to know the cheapest way of using a courier collection service on bulky items many miles away , id like to buy some car wheels and tyres , I think theyre around 165 miles away from Sheffield, is it easier to select a courier nearest the items for sale?

A 330 mile round trip, courier wise it might just be cheaper to drive yourself. 

Based on a guessed weight of 18KG (average alloy weighs 15-20kg for 16-24") x 4 wheels + tyres you're looking at 80-85kg for the entire package.

Quick check online for couriers and you're looking at 90-120 quid depending on courier and level of service (insurance etc)

A tank of fuel is going to be less than that. 

I’ve had wheels and tyres delivered by national couriers. Tuffnels delivered if memory serves. Is there somewhere that facilitates using somebody like that? Pallet company maybe? You can get a pallet anywhere mainland for about £50-£60. 

11 hours ago, craig12 said:

A good few years ago i bought a brand new set of Mercedes alloy wheels+tyres from Bootle.....i drove over one morning and collected them myself..when i sold them on e-bay the buyer from London asked if i would ship them,i said no as they would have to go in four seperate parcels and it would be too much messing about.....he drove up from London to collect one Friday night and was extremely happy he did...if as tinfoilhat says..... you would probably better using his option....

Get a quote here: https://www.paisleyfreight.com/

Four wheels and tyres, £34. (upto 17" size) few quid extra for larger wheels.

Edited by geared