Water utility bill

I have just received my annual water and sewerage bill for the year at £757 for a Band B 3 bedroom semi. 

How does this compare to someone in a Band B semi on a water meter? We are a retired couple with a shower. 

Probably a touch more, you should be able to get it under 50 quid a month fairly easily.

That page is terribly inaccurate, it says I should be on £180 / year -  when i'm more like £35 / month

Edited by Ghozer

i am on the water metre  i pay £15 a month i showerevery day and use washer 3 times a week hope this helps

2 hours ago, GerryBooth said:

I have just received my annual water and sewerage bill for the year at £757 for a Band B 3 bedroom semi. 

How does this compare to someone in a Band B semi on a water meter? We are a retired couple with a shower. 

The water /sewerage bill used to be based...maybe still is.....on the rateable/rentable value of the property,on my previous home long ago i paid more water/sewerage rates than my neighbour because my home had a large extension/detached garage whereas his did not..very annoying i know but that's the way it went......my present home is Detached, Band E,two showers/toilets +1 bath and my last bill for the quarter (Jan 2019) was £75.00,works out around £300 a year give or take,three in the home,so plenty of water used for utilities,plus the washing machine never seems to stop......don't forget water is measured by cubic metre...1 cubic metre= 1,000 litres..(220 gallons),Yorkshire Water fitted meter's for free with an option to opt out..dunno if they still do but you would be probably better off with one.Hate to think what i would be paying on the old system.Look how many cubic metres you have used on your bill,it may give you some idea.

12 minutes ago, euclid said:

The water /sewerage bill used to be based...maybe still is.....on the rateable/rentable value of the property,on my previous home long ago i paid more water/sewerage rates than my neighbour because my home had a large extension/detached garage whereas his did not..very annoying i know but that's the way it went......my present home is Detached, Band E,two showers/toilets +1 bath and my last bill for the quarter (Jan 2019) was £75.00,works out around £300 a year give or take,three in the home,so plenty of water used for utilities,plus the washing machine never seems to stop......don't forget water is measured by cubic metre...1 cubic metre= 1,000 litres..(220 gallons),Yorkshire Water fitted meter's for free with an option to opt out..dunno if they still do but you would be probably better off with one.Hate to think what i would be paying on the old system.Look how many cubic metres you have used on your bill,it may give you some idea.

I would imagine they still do but you can't change your mind after a certain time, think it is a year, after that the meter stays. I think I saved about £200 a year going over to a meter. I pay more for the waste water than what I use, my water is supplied by ST but my waste is dealt with by YW.

Edited by iansheff

Switching to a meter  three years ago has nearly halved my water bill which was based on the rateable value of the house. I now pay just over thirty pounds a month whereas the old payment would be well over six hundred. There are three adults living in the house.

I will try and ask my neighbour who is a couple with a baby. 

We are a shower each a day and at least 4 washes on eco mode. Maybe a car wash a fortnight and I water the lawn in hot weather. 

Hopefully it will be cheaper on a meter.

You know you can just ring up the water company and ask them to reduce the monthly bill right??

Edited by geared

got a water meter installed £49 for first quarter bill,i live alone in a 1 bed bungalow,before i was paying council £8.85p per week for water

I can't get a water meter installed in my place (Band C in Nether Edge) so YW charges me a flat fee of £18 a month.

Seems reasonable to me.