24 hours in police custody.

I liked the guy who volunteered to come in for questioning then 'no commented' the whole interview. Unfortunately you knew he was going to be found not guilty as his face was blurred. I assume that he ditched his burner phone before going to the police station. Although someone did say that they knew he'd called one of the suspects but the prosecution couldn't prove what had been said during the call.

The second case was an interesting example of joint enterprise. The only lad who didn't 'no comment' his interview and gave an account that helped the investigation looked gobsmacked when he was also charged with murder even though he was just driving the car.

On 12/03/2019 at 19:36, Top Cats Hat said:

(Or released! 😉)

The hang 'em and flog 'em brigade who think that everyone should get a life sentence for every crime, would do well to watch this series and learn something about how their own judicial system works.

Like it or not, the CPS will not charge anyone unless there is evidence to secure a conviction in court. 

One thing which troubled me greatly about last night's episode is that the guy accused of raping a 15 year old girl after his DNA was found on the victim's clothes, flatly denied even seeing the victim on the night in question. Just as the interview was about to be terminated the guy's solicitor asked for a break and came back five minutes later with a prepared statement saying that he now remembers  picking the girl up and they had consensual sex and he thought that she was 21.

Now I believe in the absolute right of everyone to legal representation but I'm not sure that it is the job of a defence solicitor to fabricate a defence for someone they strongly believe to be guilty!

Do we know for sure that the defence solicitor fabricated a defence? The boy came back to interview with this new statement but he could have concocted it  himself...unlikely I know, but possible

1 minute ago, lil-minx92 said:

Do we know for sure that the defence solicitor fabricated a defence? The boy came back to interview with this new statement but he could have concocted it  himself...unlikely I know, but possible

It's possible yes, but the interview was just about to end and it was the legal aid solicitor who called a halt and came back with the prepared statement. If she hadn't, the interview would have ended there.

The suspect seemed to take a completely passive role in the whole affair. The police can further question after a prepared statement and the guy would have struggled to give details but I suspect he was advised to 'no comment'. 

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It's possible yes, but the interview was just about to end and it was the legal aid solicitor who called a halt and came back with the prepared statement. If she hadn't, the interview would have ended there.

The suspect seemed to take a completely passive role in the whole affair. The police can further question after a prepared statement and the guy would have struggled to give details but I suspect he was advised to 'no comment'. 

Are we confusing 2 cases BTW? It was the young kid who came back with the BS statement. His victim wasnt 15. 

1 hour ago, lil-minx92 said:

Are we confusing 2 cases BTW? It was the young kid who came back with the BS statement. His victim wasnt 15. 

You've got me now.

I'm pretty sure his first victim was 15 because the second rape he remembered in quite good detail but claimed that he couldn't even remember the first one happening even though it was only a week earlier, presumably because he knew his victim was underage.

Please don't make me watch it again! 😱😱

Last nights was scary,, So many people carrying knives.. 

6 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

I think it has got confused

The 'kid' looked to me to have full facial hair and was described has being in his early 20's

There were two perps.

The first was a teenage boy who attacked a 19/20 year old woman with a knife by a bridge.

The second was a 20-something taxi driver who had raped two people, one being an underage girl.

Both were caught by DNA evidence.

4 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

There were two perps.

The first was a teenage boy who attacked a 19/20 year old woman with a knife by a bridge.

The second was a 20-something taxi driver who had raped two people, one being an underage girl.

Both were caught by DNA evidence.

I'm not sure what happened to the 'teenage' boy.  Didn't it say he was referred to some department or expert