24 hours in police custody.

This started a new series last night and is my favourite programme. I saw it previously and was impressed. Basically a suspect is kept in police custody for 24 hours but must be charged when that time is up. Last night it was a rape case and because the police had the suspects DNA they were able to charge him.  I never watch fictional programmes because I think real life is much more intriguing don’t you ?

This is a particularly good programme a real insight into the process the police go through.

11 hours ago, pattricia said:

Basically a suspect is kept in police custody for 24 hours but must be charged when that time is up. 

(Or released! 😉)

The hang 'em and flog 'em brigade who think that everyone should get a life sentence for every crime, would do well to watch this series and learn something about how their own judicial system works.

Like it or not, the CPS will not charge anyone unless there is evidence to secure a conviction in court. 

One thing which troubled me greatly about last night's episode is that the guy accused of raping a 15 year old girl after his DNA was found on the victim's clothes, flatly denied even seeing the victim on the night in question. Just as the interview was about to be terminated the guy's solicitor asked for a break and came back five minutes later with a prepared statement saying that he now remembers  picking the girl up and they had consensual sex and he thought that she was 21.

Now I believe in the absolute right of everyone to legal representation but I'm not sure that it is the job of a defence solicitor to fabricate a defence for someone they strongly believe to be guilty!

I agree with your comments Top Cat.

15 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

(Or released! 😉)

The hang 'em and flog 'em brigade who think that everyone should get a life sentence for every crime, would do well to watch this series and learn something about how their own judicial system works.

Like it or not, the CPS will not charge anyone unless there is evidence to secure a conviction in court. 

One thing which troubled me greatly about last night's episode is that the guy accused of raping a 15 year old girl after his DNA was found on the victim's clothes, flatly denied even seeing the victim on the night in question. Just as the interview was about to be terminated the guy's solicitor asked for a break and came back five minutes later with a prepared statement saying that he now remembers  picking the girl up and they had consensual sex and he thought that she was 21.

Now I believe in the absolute right of everyone to legal representation but I'm not sure that it is the job of a defence solicitor to fabricate a defence for someone they strongly believe to be guilty!

Or apply for an extension of the initial 24 hour period - which disappointingly the programme doesn’t make any mention of.

I suppose it does put the police questioning the suspect under a lot of pressure to charge or release the suspect.

I was shocked the young offender wasn't remanded in custody.

He was a real loose cannon.

10 minutes ago, Stranza said:

I was shocked the young offender wasn't remanded in custody.

He was a real loose cannon.

He also didn't really see anything wrong with what he had done and had been excluded from school after lifting a female studen't skirt and punching her between the legs. I would have been very uneasy giving a person like that bail as it is that kind of unrepentant offender who is most likely to reoffend.

Escalation from pulling up skirts at 13 to abduction and rape by 15. This lad is dangerous.

Excellent programme.. this weeks was upsetting 

Love the way the police question suspects. Put them at their ease first then show them the evidence against them.

Epi 3.

The footage of the mall stabbing was brutal, gave me chills.