Harsh punishment?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-47523268

Birmingham City fan jailed for pitch attack, Jailed for 14 weeks, Banned from Birmingham City FC for life, £350 costs (only £100 goes to Jack Grealish)

He was obviously stupid but would anybody else get similar punishment for similar stupidness?

14 minutes ago, melthebell said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-47523268

Birmingham City fan jailed for pitch attack, Jailed for 14 weeks, Banned from Birmingham City FC for life, £350 costs (only £100 goes to Jack Grealish)

He was obviously stupid but would anybody else get similar punishment for similar stupidness?

Its not that Mel, its supposed to be a deterrent to other idiots, personally anybody doing that sort of thing would get 6months in the slammer.

How long before some idiot runs on the field wielding a knife.

It's a deterrent sentence, though this kind of thing has been going on at matches for decades now....and might even continue to happen. 

I DON'T Condone it myself, running on the pitch, never have done or will do.......but, there is another argument/issue being overlooked here by the media, etc.....the Passion in the game.

If fans are, rightly, likely to be jailed and banned for life, for so called assaults and passions running out of control, then what about Assaults on the pitch? Players are always fighting, pushing,kicking and even head butting if they get the chance. 

Surely, that is just as much assault as any other? Certainly needs looking at, to get things in context.

Just seen some news/sky? coverage of the Birmingham - Villa game...and COULD NOT Believe it, when Grealish, actually JUMPED into the Villa crowd after scoring, NOT really aggravating or inflaming things himself then?!? Should have been booked or EVEN sent off for that kind of celebration, don't know if he was booked?

Then, at the end of the match, UNBELIEVABLY, after what had happened,before, with the punch from behind, one of his own team mates, actually HITS him on the back of the head,from BEHIND, with some kind of rubber ball thing!!! UNBELIEVABLE.

Don't have the link, I'm not too good at computer technology stuff, things.....but go and have a look!!

I think it's a fair sentence and sends the right message. As for the offender in question, anyone stupid enough to assault somebody in front of several thousand witnesses has it coming.

If you did this to someone at work or a stranger in the street would you get a jail sentence? I doubt it.Much as everyone rightly condones what he did there are people doing far worse and getting  less punishment.

6 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

If you did this to someone at work or a stranger in the street would you get a jail sentence? I doubt it.Much as everyone rightly condones what he did there are people doing far worse and getting  less punishment.

Yes you would if someone could be bothered to report it or be a witness or provided proof - unfortunately this idiot was televised so it was an easy call. 

Lets put fences back up - it they want to act like animals then cordon them off like animals.

17 hours ago, Padders said:

Its not that Mel, its supposed to be a deterrent to other idiots, personally anybody doing that sort of thing would get 6months in the slammer.

How long before some idiot runs on the field wielding a knife.

Also, if that stupid bloke had a job he probably doesn't have one now and he has a criminal record for the rest of his life.Nice going.

15 hours ago, dropout said:

It's a deterrent sentence, though this kind of thing has been going on at matches for decades now....and might even continue to happen. 

I DON'T Condone it myself, running on the pitch, never have done or will do.......but, there is another argument/issue being overlooked here by the media, etc.....the Passion in the game.

If fans are, rightly, likely to be jailed and banned for life, for so called assaults and passions running out of control, then what about Assaults on the pitch? Players are always fighting, pushing,kicking and even head butting if they get the chance. 

Surely, that is just as much assault as any other? Certainly needs looking at, to get things in context.

Just seen some news/sky? coverage of the Birmingham - Villa game...and COULD NOT Believe it, when Grealish, actually JUMPED into the Villa crowd after scoring, NOT really aggravating or inflaming things himself then?!? Should have been booked or EVEN sent off for that kind of celebration, don't know if he was booked?

Then, at the end of the match, UNBELIEVABLY, after what had happened,before, with the punch from behind, one of his own team mates, actually HITS him on the back of the head,from BEHIND, with some kind of rubber ball thing!!! UNBELIEVABLE.

Don't have the link, I'm not too good at computer technology stuff, things.....but go and have a look!!

Greaslish was booked for jumping into the crowd.

I actually think the punishment is about right but my point is many people are saying it should have been much more severe but how much of that is because it was on TV and a high profile match, should that be the main consideration when sentencing compared with someone who did the same thing at say a Sunday league game after all the crime is the same.You could argue that he could have had a weapon but the fact is he didn't and in this case that should be the consideration the issue of stopping people getting onto the pitch is a bigger issue and if you are to use sentencing as a serious deterrent then we need to consider making new laws so these idiots know exactly what will happen if they do it.I think the issue will not be addressed by this route alone and there needs to be some sort of safe physical barrier to stop it being so easy to get on the pitch.With todays technology and what we have learnt from Hillsborough there are many options to consider in this area.Apparently in Germany they use netting to stop it happening.

I agree with you Fudbeer, i don't think he should have been treated any differently to any other physical attack that had that kind of evidence would be treated. I don't think the 10 year ban will matter, he'll find a way in the ground as soon as his face is forgotten,but his season tickets going to be a no no.

The laws are in place - pitch invasion is punishable under the  Football Offences Act and smacking someone is punishable under the smacking someone law.

I see that the majority have remained silent about the actions of their compadre at the Steel City Derby. Now that pillock should also be arrested and banned - but he knows that so he acts like a coward and shrinks into the background.

10 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

If you did this to someone at work or a stranger in the street would you get a jail sentence? I doubt it.

Really?

Anyone convicted of punching a stranger in the head in the street would get a lot more than 14 weeks in jail.

St Petre....6 hours ago.

Greaslish was booked for jumping into the crowd.

Well. thanks for that information.

Good job.

Sure it will be a CLEAR deterrent to ALL the other footy players that (try to ) do it in the future.? (It says here).

5 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Really?

Anyone convicted of punching a stranger in the head in the street would get a lot more than 14 weeks in jail.

I don’t think that’s the case. I give you Cheryl tweedy/Cole/fernedezsummatorother/tweedy.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/oct/21/helencarter

Im pretty sure I could hoover up umpteen cases of assault where it’s been community service only. In fact, a bloke I knew got 80 hours and he had a bit of previous.