Stolen bird feeders

4 hours ago, stewybill said:

I would be very surprised.

I have asked the Environment Agency, I will report back.

Bill.

More likely if they've been up since Oct until now, they may just regarded as a risk, if they've not been cleaned not saying you haven't cleaned them, but there is a risk as the weather warms up from from droppings or mouldy food, which can provide breeding grounds for parasites and bacteria.

1 hour ago, steve68 said:

More likely if they've been up since Oct until now, they may just regarded as a risk, if they've not been cleaned not saying you haven't cleaned them, but there is a risk as the weather warms up from from droppings or mouldy food, which can provide breeding grounds for parasites and bacteria.

True enough. Green finch population has dropped through the floor mainly due to a nasty parasite that thrives on mucky feeders.

Ah, so they’ve have been “removed” for the good of the birds.

obviously.

I’ve messaged the EA,

I will give them until Monday.

On 12/03/2019 at 17:56, tinfoilhat said:

True enough. Green finch population has dropped through the floor mainly due to a nasty parasite that thrives on mucky feeders.

They were wiped every Sunday when food was changed.

58 minutes ago, steve68 said:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/how-to-clean-your-bird-feeder/

probably seems a bit over the top, but they suggest more than just a wipe.

I use disinfectant and then air dry them - or bin them if they look to gunked up, and clean round the hard standing they hang over (they don't half make a mess). Saw an ill looking greenfinch last summer (don't know if I was the cause or not) so it sharpened me right up.

2 hours ago, stewybill said:

I’ve messaged the EA,

I will give them until Monday.

They were wiped every Sunday when food was changed.

Mine, particularly with the sunflower hearts that the goldfinches like can look pretty grubby pretty quickly. Maybe they saw them at the end of the week before you cleaned them.  The problem is I guess the EA don’t know if you clean them etc. And we’re assuming it was the EA it could still be thieving yobbos as you first proposed!

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

I use disinfectant and then air dry them - or bin them if they look to gunked up, and clean round the hard standing they hang over (they don't half make a mess). Saw an ill looking greenfinch last summer (don't know if I was the cause or not) so it sharpened me right up.

I'm the same I use a spray bottle with bleach, and stock rotate the feeders, as I make my own using wood and large beer bottles it's not difficult to take them out of circulation for cleaning.

The EA deny that they have, or indeed would, remove bird feeders.

I take all points re cleaning totally onboard.

enough negative stuff,, anyone want to put forward how to make your own for fat balls and seed please ???

Edited by stewybill
Error

The landowner/agent/tenant should be asked first and permission granted before anything is put up or planted. 

Even if it is a public footpath/access, the landowner or an agent for the landowner is allowed to remove anything placed on their land including attachments to trees.

They do not have to give a reason for removal- which are numerous.

If the landowner has removed anything then they are entitled to charge you for removal and storage costs.

Planting non-native tree species such as 'horse chestnut' in somebody else's "wild" should also be discouraged.

I will very definitely be careful where I plant my non native tree species.