Stolen bird feeders

This is hardly earth shattering stuff, but,, here goes.

Last Oct I put 8 feeders up along the river to feed the birds during the harsh months. It's been going well. Many species turning up with a few surprises.

Today I go over to top them up, and , every single one has been stolen.

So, whoever did that, I hope you enjoy the use of them, I also hope I find out who you are.

Have a nice day.

Agree Holiday1166. I planted some horse chesnut trees in the wilds and some had gone very soon after. I wouldn`t be surprised if Stewybill`s feeders were just removed and trashed or slung some place. If the thieves /vandals had any real interest in feeding birds  they would have bought some.

Edited by Janus

could have been Magpies or Jackdaws - apparently they steal things!  😏 More likely some scroat though!  Pathetic isn't it?  

I've got a couple in my garden.  (Not yours btw!).  It's great to see different varieties of birds coming to feed.  Had some lesser spotted woodpecker's last year.  

3 hours ago, stewybill said:

Last Oct I put 8 feeders up along the river to feed the birds during the harsh months. It's been going well. Many species turning up with a few surprises.

So, whoever did that, I hope you enjoy the use of them, I also hope I find out who you are.

Have a nice day.

They haven't blown off (fnnnnaaarrrr) have they? A couple of my feeders blew off the tree in the recent windy weather. Once they're on the ground owt could have happened to them.

its a total disgrace ,no respect for  wild birds now,they cant leave anything alone

This might be a silly question, but are you allowed to just put things up at the side of a river?
Could they have been removed by someone official rather than stolen?

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

They haven't blown off (fnnnnaaarrrr) have they? A couple of my feeders blew off the tree in the recent windy weather. Once they're on the ground owt could have happened to them.

They were attached firmly with gardening wire, all 8 of them.

56 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

This might be a silly question, but are you allowed to just put things up at the side of a river?

Well I’ve never heard anything like that, it is possible though.

The feeders at the carpark at Heatherdene were removed by Yorkshire Water,  folk used to top up the bird tables and it was nice to watch the variety of birds, but also squirrel and rats. the rats were quite bold and i imagine it will have been these which would have caused Yorkshire water to post notices asking 'Please do not feed the birds'

There was in the past a lot of those nasty net type feeders hanging in the trees too, i used to take those down myself and empty the contents on the bird tables. 

8 hours ago, stewybill said:

Have a nice day.

I hope they end up before the Beak & have to do bird on a rough wing

17 hours ago, nikki-red said:

Good point.  Maybe taken down because they attract rats?

I would be very surprised.

I have asked the Environment Agency, I will report back.

Bill.