Political parties disconnect to the electorate

32 minutes ago, El Cid said:

How many people on here have ever stood for election, at the lowest parish council level to being an MP or MEP? We like to complain, but does anyone actually do anything about it?

True . Then we end up with either vested interest types or exaggerated versions of certain types who live in here.

5 hours ago, El Cid said:

I am active in my local party, but when you think about who the next candidate will be, they will select a doctor or a teacher type.

So they will all be out of touch with the ordinary person. I am just an average Joe earning £16k, but I believe they will select someone that has been to university. Maybe in a year or two I will give it a go, but I stand to lose £500.

Doctors and teachers are out of touch with the ordinary person? Can't speak for teachers but if my doctor's cattle market of a surgery is anything to go by, he's anything but.

I will not vote for my MP because we reside in a Brexit area, but our MP is a Remainer and is one of the rats who deserted the Liebour sinking ship. So the MP will not get my vote in her new Party, The Liebour Party candidate will not get my vote either, due basicaly to the rif raf that inhabit the Party, nor will the Tory party candidate due to their total incompetance since the referendum vote was taken.

Now would be a great opportunity for Nigel and Ukip to hoover up thousands of votes, but sadly that surely will not happen now as Ukip without Nigel at the helm is simply a busted flush.

Who is left to vote for, Libdems a complete joke, Greens a load of nutters. The only choice will be a candidate not connected to any of the mentioned shysters if that is possible. Failing that I will spoil my ballot paper by writing on it, none of the above. It will hurt to do it, but so be it.

Angel1.

47 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Doctors and teachers are out of touch with the ordinary person? Can't speak for teachers but if my doctor's cattle market of a surgery is anything to go by, he's anything but.

M point was that they are all university educated and what I would consider rich. There was the MP that used to be a postman a few years ago. When Vince Cable was in the cabinet, he was the only non-millionaire.

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I will not vote for my MP because we reside in a Brexit area, but our MP is a Remainer and is one of the rats who deserted the Liebour sinking ship. So the MP will not get my vote in her new Party, The Liebour Party candidate will not get my vote either, due basicaly to the rif raf that inhabit the Party, nor will the Tory party candidate due to their total incompetance since the referendum vote was taken.

Now would be a great opportunity for Nigel and Ukip to hoover up thousands of votes, but sadly that surely will not happen now as Ukip without Nigel at the helm is simply a busted flush.

Who is left to vote for, Libdems a complete joke, Greens a load of nutters. The only choice will be a candidate not connected to any of the mentioned shysters if that is possible. Failing that I will spoil my ballot paper by writing on it, none of the above. It will hurt to do it, but so be it.

Angel1.

So, we're back where we were 5 years ago, when people like Russell Brand were saying there was nobody to vote for, it wasn't worth voting.

That lead to Jeremy Corbyn standing, to give people a real choice and a chance to vote for change. But of course that's not what the Establishment want, they like it the way it is, they have it all sewn up for their own benefit, so Corbyn has to go.

The same thing will happen to anyone who tries to change what is a rotton and corrupt system to benefit the majority of ordinary people. 

People think putting a tick in a box once every 5 years equalls democracy. It doesn't.

It isn't the politicians who rule, it's the lobbyists, the doners, the people with more money than entire countries, the vested interests, the unelected advisors and think tanks, the deals done at places like bilderberg, and in the gentleman's clubs and back rooms.

The electorate comes way down the list of priorities.

Edited by Anna B

4 hours ago, woodview said:

There is a massive disconnect.

Regradless of party, you get certain types who want to be mps. They have less and less experience of what living in the world the rest of us live in. Without that experience they cant represent us properly.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if all 650 were sacked and replaced with a cross section of the general public, like a long term Jury duty. Then stood for re-election based on performance.

That works until you flick over to the news and see "We're now live with the new home office minister who has made supporting a terrorist a hanging offence and made any form of tax evasion completely legal. Mr Penistone, what's next?"

Too many people would let the power go to their head, too many would end up on the take and too many are frankly too thick to do it resulting in civil servants doing everything.

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

That works until you flick over to the news and see "We're now live with the new home office minister who has made supporting a terrorist a hanging offence and made any form of tax evasion completely legal. Mr Penistone, what's next?"

Too many people would let the power go to their head, too many would end up on the take and too many are frankly too thick to do it resulting in civil servants doing everything.

Yes, it was an extreme example, partially tongue in cheek, base on a genuine dissatisfaction with the lazy, inept, self centred bunch that inhabit parliament.

A proffesional civil service, headed by experts in the field, isn't a bad thing compared to shoving in a minister who knows jack about the topic 

6 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

In my local area it was a doctor from 80 miles away that was the candidate, some argue that we should keep FPTP because of the local connection.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

So, we're back where we were 5 years ago, when people like Russell Brand were saying there was nobody to vote for, it wasn't worth voting.

That lead to Jeremy Corbyn standing, to give people a real choice and a chance to vote for change. But of course that's not what the Establishment want, they like it the way it is, they have it all sewn up for their own benefit, so Corbyn has to go.

The same thing will happen to anyone who tries to change what is a rotton and corrupt system to benefit the majority of ordinary people. 

People think putting a tick in a box once every 5 years equalls democracy. It doesn't.

It isn't the politicians who rule, it's the lobbyists, the doners, the people with more money than entire countries, the vested interests, the unelected advisors and think tanks, the deals done at places like bilderberg, and in the gentleman's clubs and back rooms.

The electorate comes way down the list of priorities.

I imagine Corbyn is now a busted flush, a commie busted flush at that, as Watson is now against him. You would have to be desperate to give Corbyn your vote. As I said, we are in a proper pickle at this time, hardly any of the shysters and parasites that inhabit Westminster are worth their corn or your vote.  We are been peed on and they persist in telling us it's raining.

Angel1.

28 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I imagine Corbyn is now a busted flush, a commie busted flush at that, as Watson is now against him. You would have to be desperate to give Corbyn your vote. As I said, we are in a proper pickle at this time, hardly any of the shysters and parasites that inhabit Westminster are worth their corn or your vote.  We are been peed on and they persist in telling us it's raining.

Angel1.

I agree. But the system is rigged so there's really nothing we can do about it.

And that's democracy?

18 hours ago, phil752 said:

Without a doubt every one has seen how the political class has disrespected the electorate. Who would vote for their party or MP again?   Is it time to have a protest vote and give independents a go. Even as a protest it may see a change in the voting system.

Both the Tories and Labour are lying, deceitful and couldnt organise a drinking session in a brewery between them.  They are a disgrace . 

17 hours ago, Anna B said:

And yet we have no say in who the candidate is. 

That is decided from a short list by party officials and simply presented to the electorate in a take it or leave it fashion. And of course the party will pick the candidate who is unlikely to rock the boat, which is why nothing ever changes.

Of course almost anybody can stand as an Independent, but they have very little chance of being elected. 

If almost anyone can stand how can the system be so called rigged? 

The problem here surely is us voters.   As I said earlier, it would be a big help if people stopped with the tribal mentality and actually voted for their local candidates on merit rather than just what ribbon they choose to wear or not wear. 

That on its own would diversify the house.

Unfortunately too many people focus on a party and PM rather than the reality of voting a single representative for their constituency.

People are more than happy to whine and critique on here but how many are actually prepared to engage in the system themselves.  The big majority of the voting electorate barely so much as watch any political debates on TV, let alone get involved in actual hands-on entry level politics in their local town halls or parishes.  Are these is very same apathetic type of people who should be plonked in parliament to deal with  high-level government matters day in day out??  I doubt that will solve many problems. 

Let's get real about what the elections are about....

If you don't like the party in active government then you vote for a different one.

If you don't like any of the party affiliated candidates then you vote for an independent one.

If you don't like any of the candidates at all then you need to nominate someone who you feel will represent you best to stand or man up and be prepared have a go at standing yourself. 

Without people engaging in these simple steps how else are things supposed to change.

I see lots of talk on here about so-called "real people" should be sitting in government but the bigger question that needs answering is ..do these real people actually want it... 

Forcing people into it like mandatory jury service will simply fill the room with at least half who don't even want to be there.   Hardly great for a conducive and cohesive government operation.

If we take the other option of opening up to people who want to apply then that is the same as exactly what we have now.    just because the house appears to be a majority of White collar backgrounds does not mean that working class people are debarred from applying.

Questions may well need to be asked as to why people from manual industries or from a non university level education are seemingly avoiding politics.

However an important follow up question is....   do these "real people" actually know what is involved in the job as opposed to merely what they assume and see in the papers...

It's all far too easy to throw barbs from the sidelines.  We can all say the immortal words "I could do that job better than them" while sat on the sofa -  Very different to be actually doing it for real.