I honestly prefer a weekly wage..

Easier to manage bills and out-goings etc imho...

As a business owner paying  my staff weekly is much better than monthly.  £10k a week is much easier to swallow than £40-50k a month especially if customers don’t pay me when expected at least if they don’t I have more chance of getting through a short term problem by paying weekly.  

Additionally my staff would be asking for subs after 2 weeks on monthly 

I worked 20 years in the UK and 33 years in Canada and have never been paid monthly. I have also held salaried supervisory positions, but the longest gap between paydays has been bi monthly or fortnightly, which  of course, are not the same. Believe me, I have worked for an awful lot of companies over my working life and have never been asked to take my wages monthly..

Edited by Ontarian1981

Well I've worked in the UK for 20 years now and since my first graduate job I've never been paid anything except monthly.  In fact, before that actually, my industry placement year, I was paid monthly then.

I'm fairly sure that there isn't a single IT company in the UK that pays on a weekly basis.

Oh, for the record, my OH works in the engineering sector, and she's only ever been paid monthly as well, and every single one of my friends is paid monthly, even the guy who works in customer care for Virgin Media.

On 10/03/2019 at 19:23, Michael_W said:

There are lots of people who are paid weekly, yes even in big companies, they are usually non salaried, paid by the hour, get basic statutory sick pay and only have to give one weeks notice to leave, it may be that the company has given them such a contract, have they said their contracts have changed or anything ?

no change in contracts other than the weekly pay situation and it seems after altering their dd/standing orders etc are happy with it 

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 09:24, ricgem2002 said:

no change in contracts other than the weekly pay situation and it seems after altering their dd/standing orders etc are happy with it 

I have worked in engineering/manufacturing at shop floor level since leaving school over 40 years ago and have always been paid weekly wherever I have worked, most staff in those same companies were/are salaried and paid monthly, people get used to budgeting or not, accordingly, it's generally no big deal just a bit inconvenient initially sometimes if you switch, clearly some employers prefer to pay people that way that is all. Generally speaking weekly paid are 'hourly' paid and often don't get the same benefits regarding sick pay as salaried personnel in my experience, but will usually get paid overtime at the appropriately recognised rates.

Edited by Michael_W