The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

16 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

This is something which many leave supporters who voted for purely racist reasons will be very upset about. We need immigrants in the UK and all Brexit will do is replace white Poles, Romanians and Bulgarians with brown and black Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and West Africans.

As Homer Simpson says "Doh! 😡"

It isn’t just skin colour (taking Farage’s poster of an indicator of what buttons will get pushed) it’s also religion.

A timely reminder that the Commonwealth has 500m Muslim citizens.

This is an interesting read on the referendum's targeted ads on Facebook and how it's done.

That link was to a completely unreadable twitter feed full of ads.

Whatever money was or wasn't spent on the fake facebook ads it certainly was money worth spent. I'd say that at least 60% of the fake claims about EU membership are still believed by Brexit supporters judging by what I keep hearing from leave supporters.

Sorry, I guess you must need a twitter account to access it properly 😕

23 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

That link was to a completely unreadable twitter feed full of ads.

Whatever money was or wasn't spent on the fake facebook ads it certainly was money worth spent. I'd say that at least 60% of the fake claims about EU membership are still believed by Brexit supporters judging by what I keep hearing from leave supporters.

Yes they’ve been thoroughly brainwashed

Look at the Turkey discussion on this thread. Many people still hold a powerful belief that Turkey categorically is joining the EU.

They won’t be shaken from it

6 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

The system isn’t getting ‘poorer’ countries in, it is designed to get European countries in. 

Ah so its just a co incidence that those countries are the poor ones whose people are now free to move to supply cheap labour to the other developed ones..

6 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

the expansion of the EU isn’t about cheap labour, that is just what the UK benefitted from. 

I didnt say it was only about cheap labour but that is one very big factor, and its not just the UK who has benefited from it but most of the developed EU economies especially using people for seasonal work. People including the farmers are predicting that when the UK leaves and that cheap labour becomes scarce it will cause prices to rise so its safe to assume the same could also happen in the EU bloc as well.

I do notice though that no one has answered the question posed: What happens to those economies that rely on cheap labour when that cheap labour dries up?

5 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

If we Brexit it is going to come from Commonwealth countries most likely. We’ll still need the same numbers. Incoming workers will still cluster into the same industries and places.

Dont be daft. Do you really think that people from developed Commonwealth countries will be encouraged to come here to pick fruit in the fields or do warehousing jobs and then find they cant get a house to live in?

5 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Its almost like you lot are manufacturing your next hate targets.

No that is something that exists in your mind only.

45 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Yes they’ve been thoroughly brainwashed

Considering the demographics are not in favour of that especially with Facebook then I dont think so.

5 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

I don't need to tell you anything.  It's a fact the 2015 summer migrant crisis happened between  David Cameron winning the 2015 General Election and the 2016 EU referendum vote.  I believe because of that migrant crisis and the actions of Angela Merkel more people voted to leave the EU than would have, if the migrant crisis had never happened.  It's irrelevant how many migrants are entering the EU now because the democratic UK people voted in 2016 to leave the EU.  If you don't believe the 2015 summer EU migrant crisis had any effect on how some people decided to vote in the 2016 EU referendum vote, then say so.  

The right wing press didn't conjure up the 2015 summer EU migrant crisis.  It really did happen.

And asylum applicants to the UK were less than in 1990.

Why the mentality that the majority of migrants to the EU are headed to the UK which we've seen displayed over and over again on this thread, the boat people from France thread, and numerous others over the years.

32 minutes ago, apelike said:

Dont be daft. Do you really think that people from developed Commonwealth countries will be encouraged to come here to pick fruit in the fields or do warehousing jobs and then find they cant get a house to live in?

No that is something that exists in your mind only.

Considering the demographics are not in favour of that especially with Facebook then I dont think so.

You introduced the word "developed".

2 hours ago, apelike said:

Ah so its just a co incidence that those countries are the poor ones whose people are now free to move to supply cheap labour to the other developed ones..

I didnt say it was only about cheap labour but that is one very big factor, and its not just the UK who has benefited from it but most of the developed EU economies especially using people for seasonal work. People including the farmers are predicting that when the UK leaves and that cheap labour becomes scarce it will cause prices to rise so its safe to assume the same could also happen in the EU bloc as well.

That assumption makes no economical sense whatsoever.

Seasonal workers who used to come to the UK for avfew months under FoM and won't come to the UK post-Brexit, will still enjoy FoM across the EU27, meaning more labour chasing the same EU27 work, meaning cheaper labour for EU27 farmers.

2 hours ago, apelike said:

I do notice though that no one has answered the question posed: What happens to those economies that rely on cheap labour when that cheap labour dries up?

When was this posed? I must have missed it, because it's easily answered: less labour chases the work, making labour more expensive, whereby those economies lose competitivity to those economies that still use cheap labour.

Case in point: EU27 farmers with retained access to more (& therefore cheaper) seasonal labour post-Brexit, relative to UK farmers without.

Straightforward economic causes and consequences affair.

It's exactly how and why the UK managed to do so well for itself, domestically and internationally (accessorily the outcome of why the UK was the only, or one of the very few, EU member states to not block immigration from new eastern EU member states as soon as they gained full membership and FoM) for the past couple of decades. That advantage is now fast being lost, through the joint cheap labour and brain drain haemorrhages.

The UK's loss is pretty much everybody else's gain, or will eventually be short-to-medium term (timescale be dependent on countries and their economic make-up).

Edited by L00b

18 hours ago, L00b said:

So he's moving his corporate headquarters and corporate tax domiciliation halfway around the world, because of a new and unproven, unlaunched product line?

Hey...I've got a nice bridge to sell. Interested? :D

Sorry, but I'm baffled by your last comment.  🤔