The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

2 minutes ago, L00b said:

Don't know about you, but whenever I've voted about anything, I've voted according to the information that I researched and understood, both from apolitical/unbiased sources and others ; not only according to the information that was self-servingly spoon-fed by one side and/or the other(s). The voting context also played a big part (think "least worst option out of two bad choices", eg Macron v LePen).

Aside from the last US presidential election (for propaganda techniques of which the 2016 referendum was the test bed), I can't remember a more flagrant example of exploitation by vested interests, of this general inability to exercise critical thinking, demonstrated time and again by a large portion of the British electorate, as the Brexit Leave campaigns.

The poster is saying the information provided by the Remain supporting, government funded leaflet, is supporting information that Leave means leaving the CU.

8 minutes ago, L00b said:

Don't know about you, but whenever I've voted about anything, I've voted according to the information that I researched and understood, both from apolitical/unbiased sources and others

I think most people are fed news stories month after month after month, and they build up a view on things.

Most people have a view of Corbyn, probably a very biased view, hard left, anti-war and IRA sympathiser.

Most media and politicos have blamed things on the EU for years, when in fact its not a problem or its down to our own Parliament.

14 minutes ago, L00b said:

Don't know about you, but whenever I've voted about anything, I've voted according to the information that I researched and understood, both from apolitical/unbiased sources and others ; not only according to the information that was self-servingly spoon-fed by one side and/or the other(s). The voting context also played a big part (think "least worst option out of two bad choices", eg Macron v LePen).

Aside from the last US presidential election (for propaganda techniques of which the 2016 referendum was the test bed), I can't remember a more flagrant example of exploitation by vested interests, of this general inability to exercise critical thinking, demonstrated time and again by a large portion of the British electorate, as the Brexit Leave campaigns.

Agreed, I made my decision based upon information provided by both side, my own research and my personal experience of working with (not for) the EU.
I treat most of the speculation . projections as exactly that.

For instance the HM Treasury analysis: the immediate economic impact of leaving the EU,  (https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160815143732/https://www.eureferendum.gov.uk/publications/)

Which stated that GDP would be adversely affected by between 3.6% and 6.0%, and that unemployment would increase by between 520 and 820K

All these figures are post vote, pre brexit.

The actual figures are somewhat different.

21 minutes ago, woodview said:

The poster is saying the information provided by the Remain supporting, government funded leaflet, is supporting information that Leave means leaving the CU.

I did not comment about that particular point. But since you seem to be asking: the argument that the leaflet implies leaving the CU (and/or SM) is wrong, because of those few words at the end "with a say". At the most, the leaflet implies that the UK would cease to have a say (no more MEPs nor Commissioner), not that it would exit the CU/SM wholesale.

8 minutes ago, convert said:

Agreed, I made my decision based upon information provided by both side, my own research and my personal experience of working with (not for) the EU.

For instance the HM Treasury analysis: the immediate economic impact of leaving the EU,  (https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160815143732/https://www.eureferendum.gov.uk/publications/)

Which stated that GDP would be adversely affected by between 3.6% and 6.0%, and that unemployment would increase by between 520 and 820K

We haven't left yet.

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

We haven't left yet.

Read the Treasury document. The forecasts were made for the period between the vote, and leaving. The figures they gave are not for after we leave, but for after we vote to leave.

26 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I think most people are fed news stories month after month after month, and they build up a view on things.

Most people have a view of Corbyn, probably a very biased view, hard left, anti-war and IRA sympathiser.

Most media and politicos have blamed things on the EU for years, when in fact its not a problem or its down to our own Parliament.

Fake news on social media is becoming a massive issue, whatsapp is now limiting shares to 5 times now to try and limit how many times people can share something that maybe fake.

16 minutes ago, convert said:

So you’ll have to thank the governor of the BoE for doing a great job at keeping the economy together.   

4 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

So you’ll have to thank the governor of the BoE for doing a great job at keeping the economy together.   

Yes, he's done a 'sterling' job...😂

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-11/carney-s-boe-forecasts-in-doubt-as-brexit-deadline-draws-closer

The Bank of England’s Brexit assumptions are looking increasingly doubtful as the clock ticks down to the U.K.’s departure date...

14 minutes ago, convert said:

Yes, he's done a 'sterling' job...😂

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-11/carney-s-boe-forecasts-in-doubt-as-brexit-deadline-draws-closer

The Bank of England’s Brexit assumptions are looking increasingly doubtful as the clock ticks down to the U.K.’s departure date...

Are you intellectually challenged? What was he supposed to do? Do nothing and let the economy tank and then sit back and say “I told you so”? He didn’t and did all he could to effectively prove himself wrong. Do you know why? Because that is what his job actually is for. To keep the U.K. economy in check and do everything they can to prevent serious shocks. 

32 minutes ago, L00b said:

I did not comment about that particular point. But since you seem to be asking: the argument that the leaflet implies leaving the CU (and/or SM) is wrong, because of those few words at the end "with a say". At the most, the leaflet implies that the UK would cease to have a say (no more MEPs nor Commissioner), not that it would exit the CU/SM wholesale.

Government info during referendum:

If the UK voted to leave the EU, we would lose access to trade agreements with more than 50 countries outside the EU. The UK would seek to renegotiate these deals, but this would take years 

These trade agreements are available within the CU. Does this statement imply leaving the EU also means leaving the EU?

It was probably purposely not clear, as it helps with the general scaremongering tactics.

11 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

It asked exactly that. It asked should the U.K. be a member of the EU or should it leave the EU

we can stop being a member of the EU but stay in a CU. That outcome is entirely compatible with the question asked

Can we stay in a CU and make our own trade deals? And  can we stay in a CU and not be bound by EU rules ? If the answer is yes then it could work if not then it's a non starter.

Edited by hobinfoot