The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

42 minutes ago, ricgem2002 said:

what makes you think the british people are going to stand for all this claptrap ? the british people have spoken and we want to leave the sooner we out the quicker we can start getting the mps into line . brexit was just the start of it lets see what happens when we out.  tick tock 26 days left and counting

Because the people who you have chosen to lead you will not think twice about the consequences I listed.

They will be richer. You will be poorer. That is their plan.

31 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

You mustn't fear change.

Embrace it.

You try telling that to stupid steel workers over the last 15 years. I have seen it first hand when you tell the shopfloor monkeys to change their working practices to improve product quality. But they lie and continue doing the same. You wonder why our steel industry can’t compete. 

33 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

You mustn't fear change.

Embrace it.

Change is not always positive.

Are you saying we should embrace the negative changes Brexit will bring?

Why would or should we do that?

Hospitals in England are going to hand out pads and tampons free of charge to woman and girls if needed, and so they should. I wasn’t aware that hospitals hand out free razors to men but not sanitary protection to women, so this is the reason they are doing this.  

This was one of the reasons I voted to leave the EU, because the UK could not remove VAT on woman’s sanitary protection, the EU said no.  After a long fight with Brussels they did allow us to reduce the VAT, and after further campaigning  they have agreed to remove  VAT  altogether, but not yet, we have to wait a few more years, we must obey Brussels.  It’s disgraceful that we have to go to the EU to get their permission to do this.  

I’m not sure if hospitals can claim back VAT on these products already, but if not every  penny helps.

Last year Government said they will remove VAT on these items straight away after Brexit. 

This change is positive.

Edited by hauxwell

4 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Hospitals in England are going to hand out pads and tampons free of charge to woman and girls if needed, and so they should. I wasn’t aware that hospitals hand out free razors to men but not sanitary protection to women, so this is the reason they are doing this.  

This was one of the reasons I voted to leave the EU, because the UK could not remove VAT on woman’s sanitary protection, the EU said no.  After a long fight with Brussels they did allow us to reduce the VAT, and after further campaigning  they have agreed to remove  VAT  altogether, but not yet, we have to wait a few more years, we must obey Brussels.  It’s disgraceful that we have to go to the EU to get their permission to do this.  

I’m not sure if hospitals can claim back VAT on these products already, but if not every  penny helps.

Last year Government said they will remove VAT on these items straight away after Brexit. 

This change is positive.

You have got it wrong. What you should be asking is why the hell we as a developed nation are in a position where women and girls can’t afford sanitary products and need handouts in the first place. 

Edited by ez8004

Taxing sanitary products is a regressive and indefensible policy, however you cut it.

31 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

This was one of the reasons I voted to leave the EU, because the UK could not remove VAT on woman’s sanitary protection, the EU said no.After a long fight with Brussels they did allow us to reduce the VAT, and after further campaigning  they have agreed to remove  VAT  altogether, but not yet, we have to wait a few more years, we must obey Brussels.

A mishmash of half truths.

VAT rules are not imposed by the European Commission. They are decided on and agreed by member states.

At the first European Council summit where this was on the agenda, the member states voted to allow zero rated items.

This problem was solved months before the referendum took place.

It’s disgraceful that we have to go to the EU to get their permission to do this.  

How is it? It's no more disgraceful than having to ask any partner you have an agreement with, about changes you want to make to that agreement.

This change is positive.

It was happening regardless.

Edited by Magilla

28 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

This change is positive.

The great thing about the EU is than in 2015 we proposed that this be changed, and by 2017 it had been agreed that it would be.  The new VAT framework hasn't actually launched yet, but when it does member states will be allowed to zero rate anything they like with some specific exemptions like tobacco, alcohol and firearms.

That's how it works when you're inside the club, you get to help decide what the rules are.

Details here

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN01128

Edited by Cyclone

The tampon issue is a perfect example of a democratic process in action. Yes a mistake was made with the original VAT rating but it has been proved that the EU can change and can rectify mistakes.

8 hours ago, apelike said:

According to SF its not about why its necessary but about the harmful effects which according to the EU is not harmful. People promote organic food production as better and it uses poo as its main organic nutrient and yet people are happy to accept it, but does that mean its also bad? Most people really dont care about it otherwise they would be vegan and this is just shows another example of remainer scare because they are losing the battle. The USA do what it is called pathogen reduction which we actually also do by chlorinating water, notice also that butchers also clean their implements and chopping boards using chlorine or other pathogen reducing compounds so nothing much there to complain about.

So “most people” is valid when you use it ,but not when I used it.

If you choose not to care about maintaining and improving the standards of animal welfare and also ensuring that we are able to buy food produced to the best standards so be it.

Why the chlorination of US produced chicken is the heart of this issue is fundamental and I raised it because the original comment by Retep was completely misleading.

”Some people “ understand this but “some people” choose to try to lead a wild goose chase to evade the real issues.

11 hours ago, RJRB said:

Water is chlorinated,at hopefully safe levels to kill harmful bacteria.

So ask yourself ,why is it necessary to use this treatment on US chickens,but not in the U.K.

Is it to give an enhanced flavour to your Kentucky Fried Chicken.?

Read this article regarding chlorinated chicken= https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47426138

In the article it states the EU chlorine washes fruit and vegetables so what is the difference?

3 minutes ago, mafya said:

Read this article regarding chlorinated chicken= https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47426138

In the article it states the EU chlorine washes fruit and vegetables so what is the difference?

It's an animal welfare issue.

In the EU, cost is also important, but the law means it can’t come at the expense of the birds’ basic welfare. There is a legal minimum amount of space, lighting and ventilation for EU poultry-rearing houses.

The more space the birds have to move around in, the fewer can be housed in a single area, which in turn has an effect on production costs. As there are no laws governing this in the US, the birds can be crammed in tightly so they have limited movement, with little light or ventilation. This reduces production costs but increases the risks of disease and contamination in a flock.

They only have to be chlorine washed because they are kept in standards that in the EU and the UK are not acceptable.

Edited by Cyclone