Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

, which is why Parliament needs to grab the reigns and steer us out of this mess!

How?

10 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

She can't be sacked, nobody else wants the job yets she ultimately has to resign it before the next election so as a career politician what is motivating her?

She is just biding time in a job which has never been so important since WW2.

No good will come of it, which is why Parliament needs to grab the reigns and steer us out of this mess!

I would've thought that Jacob Rees Mogg, Liam Fox, David Davis, Boris Johnson and the other Brexiteers would've had some idea since they campaigned so hard to leave the EU. No, of course not.

Though I bet they've thought how they can do very well out of it. Which is the most important thing, obviously.

6 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

How?

1. Vote down Teresa May's unrenegotiated deal. 

2. Pass a Bill to suspend/delay/revoke Article 50.

3. a) Declare Brexit a failed experiment.

b) Pass legislation to allow another referendum on the matter.

Personally I prefer 1, 2 and 3a as the quickest way to ensure a return to some form of normality although I understand that many people feel another vote would make Leave supporters feel less cheated.

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Personally I prefer 1, 2 and 3a as the quickest way to ensure a return to some form of normality although I understand that many people feel another vote would make Leave supporters feel less cheated.

Option 2 was defeated in the commons last week when the SNP put it forward as an amendment . 

Just now, Penistone999 said:

Option 2 was defeated in the commons last week when the SNP put it forward as an amendment . 

It just needs a private members bill

13 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

3a could never happen. It would have to be 3b, but I still feel Brexit could win again. I don't see a way out.

We have already seen that the lily (sp?) livered MPs who value their seats over their country will vote like turkeys and keep their jobs but commit the country to decades of recession and penury.

I hope it won't, but expect it will, go through as a Mrs May Special - bribery and corruption to all and victory to she "who must be shamed".

16 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

3a could never happen. It would have to be 3b, but I still feel Brexit could win again. I don't see a way out.

3a could happen given that the majority of MPs are remain supporters.

Unfortunately the majority of them on both sides of the argument have colluded in the big lie that 'Brexit is the will of the people' so see a second referendum as the only way out of this impasse.

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

3a could happen given that the majority of MPs are remain supporters.

Unfortunately the majority of them on both sides of the argument have colluded in the big lie that 'Brexit is the will of the people' so see a second referendum as the only way out of this impasse.

We leave on March 29th one way or the other. 

27 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

We leave on March 29th one way or the other. 

Can't see it myself.

There's no way that May's plan will get through the House, and I cannot see Parliament allowing a no deal Brexit. So it seems the only options are for the EU to agree to an extension, or for Parliament to rescind Article 50 and then start negotiations to trigger it again, with Parliament taking then lead rather than the government under both options.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

An interesting if slightly sensationalist item on Newsnight just now, on the far-right's  attempts to hijack the yellow vest movement and link it to the Leave means Leave campaign. 

It included a piece on what we were discussing yesterday on the conspiracy theory about three teenagers killed by a drunk driver in West London last year. Unfortunately they have managed to co-opt the mother of one of the boys to their bonkers campaign who is now a regular speaker at Britain First rallies in a similar way to what the BNP did with the mother of Charlene Downes in Blackpool.

It is hard to take them seriously when they are chanting "We're not far right, just right!" while making nazi salutes and waving European neo-nazi flags.

It's hard to admit you're wrong, but we all make mistakes and you just have to learn from them. I've made loads of mistakes, and I'm sure I'll continue to do so...

With the announcements of business closures and manufacturers leaving the UK mounting daily, job losses in their thousands, prominent brexiteers moving their finances/domiciles overseas, and the 'brexit means brexit' campaigners of the yellow vests movement becoming more and more closely associated with neo-nazi movements, with nazi salutes and neo-nazi flags on full parade today...

Surely it's time for most reasonable minded brexit voters to admit that they made a misjudgement back in 2016 and it's time to call a halt to the self harm that we're doing to our great country!! The question is, how do we allow our brexit friends to change direction without losing face, and without causing further harm to our country? Remainers need to find a way of bringing people round rather than be confrontational, and with a groundswell of opinion the govt will have to listen.