The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

1 minute ago, Delayed said:

Assuming he did indeed vote brexit. Sorry but remain voters have all moaned about job losses and then delight when someone will lose their job. Even without knowing if they did indeed vote for brexit 

I would never take pleasure in someone losing their job. 

if indeed they did, like you say we dont know, the ONLY way to show them how stupid it was is for them to be affected by it, personally, just like everybody else will be.

4 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Honda have said that global problems were the reason for closing their Swindon plant and relocating back to Japan.

I don’t think Honda have officially said anything yet have they? I await their statement with interest.

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

thats not what and why he said it...and you know it, the reason it serves him right, like turkeys voting for xmas, its high stupidity and it might teach him a lesson.

I know Swindon as a whole did vote to leave, but I got the impression that the guy on the news probably didn't, so I do sorta feel sorry for him.

The total count of lost jobs could be a significant number of all jobs in the area I would imagine... scarey!

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

I don’t think Honda have officially said anything yet have they? I await their statement with interest.

No, Honda haven't even informed their staff officially yet, as far as I'm aware.

Statement tomorrow apparently.

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

if indeed they did, like you say we dont know, the ONLY way to show them how stupid it was is for them to be affected by it, personally, just like everybody else will be.

Perhaps I1234...would like to get his jollies by going to JC+ and saying "I told you so" to everyone looking for work?

Remainers could even put it on the side of a bus

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

Because Penny knows, as many have said, that a no-deal Brexit will cause major job losses and economic and social hardship. That's what he wants. He doesn't care about others - if he's not happy, then  why should anyone else be.

I more than content with life , thanks for asking.  But i dont envisage the Armageddon all the Remoaners are predicting after 29th March . I dont believe a word the remoaner MP`s say because they have an agenda  for predicting the end of the world when we leave. After March 29th it will still get daylight in the morning, the sun will still shine and it will still rain . The world wont end .

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

Justin Tomlinson is obviously aware of the new EU/Japan Trade Partnership which is going to lead to zero tariffs on motor vehicles  imported from Japan into the EU.  The fact that Honda are not moving production from Swindon to one of the EU 27 countries is a big clue the decision is nothing to with Brexit.  

Au contraire mon ami, the fact that Japan now has a zero tariff rate with the EU whereas the UK will have tariffs is exactly why Honda has made this decision.

Think of the following: If Honda openly admitted this was due to Brexit, would it hurt sales in the UK? You know the answer, combine it with the above and see if you can solve this conundrum*.

(A conundrum that doesn't exist as it is pretty damned straight forward)

18 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

I more than content with life , thanks for asking.  But i dont envisage the Armageddon all the Remoaners are predicting after 29th March . I dont believe a word the remoaner MP`s say because they have an agenda  for predicting the end of the world when we leave. After March 29th it will still get daylight in the morning, the sun will still shine and it will still rain . The world wont end .

I don't think for a minute that the people who will lose their jobs in Swindon and the surrounding areas will be thinking that. 

People in these parts of the world know exactly what its like when a major employer shuts down, and the future prospects are bleak. 

Many people did predict job losses in manufacturing. Indeed as the links I posted earlier show,  Daniel Hannan and John Redwood, prominent leavers, both said Brexit would not cause problems in the automotive industry.

How wrong they were

EDIT: No doubt when the next set of employment figures are released - it'll show there are a record number of jobs that have been created in Swindon; and unemployment in the area is the lowest it's been since record began :rolleyes:

Edited by Mister M

19 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Honda have said that global problems were the reason for closing their Swindon plant and relocating back to Japan.

You do know that 'Brexit uncertainty' is now one of the biggest global problems for anyone trading with the EU or manufacturing in the UK?

20 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

Au contraire mon ami, the fact that Japan now has a zero tariff rate with the EU whereas the UK will have tariffs is exactly why Honda has made this decision.

.. yep, that and they'll also fall foul of country of origin rules, so even more tariffs and they lose their JIT supply lines.

It's just cost after cost after cost for Honda to remain. Even without the EU/Japan deal, it'd still probably be cheaper to manufacture in Japan post Brexit :roll:

Edited by Magilla

23 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

It was quoted on BBC news.

31 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Can you provide a link for this, please. I’ve not yet seen anything directly attributable to Honda as to why they are leaving.