The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

Just now, Fudbeer said:

We voted to leave so maybe a second referendum without the remain option but just hard Brexit or soft Brexit options might help sort this out.

Non-starter, I'm afraid.

At this late stage, there isn't sufficient time left for the UK to hold a referendum or a GE before end March 2019, so an extension of tine under Article 50 would be needed.

The EU27 will not grant an extension of time under Article 50 for the UK to hold a referendum with that hard-or-soft Brexit choice.

They may grant an extension of time if the referendum choices include a remain option.

They absolutely won't grant an extension of time for the UK to dilly-dally any longer about the issue and/or for the UK to better prepare for a no deal exit.

11 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Really?

It is called maths. Why do you think that Brextremists are so scared of a second referendum?

I didn't know they were, but if you need confirmation on a leave vote go ahead.

The government could make a killing if they charged the remoan  voters for wasting time.

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

The mob in Parliament are trying to block the UK leaving the EU. 

Even anti-EU MPs are not supporting Mays bill to take us out of the EU !!

I voted remain but you have to respect the result, can not accept a second referendum  with remain as an option.I think if we can not agree terms then much as I  have concerns about it then certainly initially we may have to leave without a deal. 

Just now, Fudbeer said:

I voted remain but you have to respect the result, can not accept a second referendum  with remain as an option.I think if we can not agree terms then much as I  have concerns about it then certainly initially we may have to leave without a deal. 

Only 25% of MPs are anti-EU, why would a majority of MPs vote to leave without a deal?

2 minutes ago, Fudbeer said:

So if you lose you’re job if we get a no deal then, you’d be happy with that, as long as we’re out?

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

Only 25% of MPs are anti-EU, why would a majority of MPs vote to leave without a deal?

it probably won't happen then but the fact is the result was leave so thats what should happen imo.

34 minutes ago, L00b said:

Non-starter, I'm afraid.

At this late stage, there isn't sufficient time left for the UK to hold a referendum or a GE before end March 2019, so an extension of tine under Article 50 would be needed.

The EU27 will not grant an extension of time under Article 50 for the UK to hold a referendum with that hard-or-soft Brexit choice.

They may grant an extension of time if the referendum choices include a remain option.

They absolutely won't grant an extension of time for the UK to dilly-dally any longer about the issue and/or for the UK to better prepare for a no deal exit.

I don't know if they need to allow it.

We can revoke A50 , do what we want on whatever timescale then resubmit if and when the outcome is known.

But also I don't think saying 'no' to an extension but dictating the terms would be a wise move either.

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

So if you lose you’re job if we get a no deal then, you’d be happy with that, as long as we’re out?

Of course not but nobody knows for sure what will happen if we leave.

9 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

It would be close again. Very close. It would be a similar result to last time, maybe just in favour of leave or just in favour of remain.

It will only prove one thing and that is the country is irrevocably split on the issue, and the path forward will not please everybody. On that basis a huge change cannot be carried through. It will only split us further.

But changes need to be made if we stay in. Big changes. To begin with, and to address the immigration concerns, we should move to the models followed on the continent around residency rights and benefits rights. Contribution-based benefits, mandatory health insurance for non-UK citizens, residency controls, proof of income or means of support, proof of employment are examples of policies implemented in other (sometimes very liberal) countries. I mentioned it before but the Netherlands is a prime example. You literally cannot function there if you don’t follow all their rules, and they apply them absolutely to the letter in a very rigid way. We could do that and few people would or could complain about it. Apart from I guess the Tory boy businessmen who have been getting rich off our lax immigration controls.

No chance we would get anything like that from the EU anyway, the only deal we'd get is one that favours them not us. We'll see if out really means out now, I know if they try to wriggle out of leaving it will make me think twice about voting for anything in the future

9 minutes ago, woodview said:

I don't know if they need to allow it.

We can revoke A50 , do what we want on whatever timescale then resubmit if and when the outcome is known.

But also I don't think saying 'no' to an extension but dictating the terms would be a wise move either.

We cannot revoke Art 50 without there being a meaningful process followed. The EU have said that we have to make a constitutionally valid decision to revoke art 50 before they acept it. Thats either a referendum or a GE, neither of which can be done in time.

23 minutes ago, Fudbeer said:

Of course not but nobody knows for sure what will happen if we leave.

I’m not asking anyone to predict the future but it’s a not unlikely the country will take an economic hit and people will lose their jobs in the event of a no deal brexit. You’ve just said losing your job isn’t a price worth paying so I don’t know whether you don’t think it’s worth the risk anymore.