The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

1 minute ago, altus said:

Just to point out how silly that argument is:- There are more women than men in the country. Assuming that this is spread equally across all constituencies your argument means MP should represent the women in their constituency but not the men.

MPs should represent all their constituents.

The "constituency" means every one, in actual sense, everyone. Surely that is not hard to understand is it. 

Where your men and women analogy comes from is truthfully beyond me.

Angel1.

6 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

And you really believe that bunkum, honestly?

Why wouldn't I? It's her constituancy.

6 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

She is a Remoaner 100%, that say's it all.

Aye, always the case when leavers are confronted with the truth :hihi:

28 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I have contacted my MP and advised her that the above would be my position.  Your MP should represent the majority of the constituency they represent. This applies either way, Brexit or Remain.

Angel1.

I respectfully disagree with you.  Every MP should represent only leave voters because every constiituency have  leave voters who were on the winning side of the democratic vote.  It was a binary choice so the option of remaining in the EU should be eliminated.

26 minutes ago, nickycheese said:

'The first duty of a member of Parliament is to do what he thinks in his faithful and disinterested judgement is right and necessary for the honour and safety of Great Britain. His second duty is to his constituents, of whom he is the representative but not the delegate. Burke's famous declaration on this subject is well known. It is only in the third place that his duty to party organization or programme takes rank. All these three loyalties should be observed, but there in no doubt of the order in which they stand under any healthy manifestation of democracy.' Sir Winston Churchill on the Duties of a Member of Parliament.

No, I disagree, the MP represents their constituency first and foremost.

Angel1.

16 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

But what if the public HAD voted (in my simple binary choice of existing deal vs. no deal) for no deal....where do Pariliament go from there?!

There is no evidence that all leave voters voted for no deal.

A significant number did I will grant you that, but not in sufficiently strong numbers

Just now, Lockdoctor said:

I respectfully disagree with you.  Every MP should represent only leave voters because every constiituency have  leave voters who were on the winning side of the democratic vote.  It was a binary choice so the option of remaining in the EU should be eliminated.

It just doesn’t work like that. I hope you realise

54 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Who said it was once in a generation. 

Cameron and Osborn I believe.

Has a law been passed to make that so

...........thought not

No but as said it was billed as such.

You would have to be a rather unique kind of idiot to believe that Mogg and his ilk would curb globalisation 

I can’t believe people think that.

I don't and as far as I know have never mentioned Mogg at all and is something you have added.

Just now, ANGELFIRE1 said:

The "constituency" means every one, in actual sense, everyone. Surely that is not hard to understand is it. 

Where your men and women analogy comes from is truthfully beyond me.

Angel1.

You said "Your MP should represent the majority of the constituency they represent." Your use of the word majority meant you were explicitly not referring to everyone.

As I put in my post - I used the men and women thing as an example of how silly your claim that MPs should only represent the majority of their constituents is.

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

Another of your bonkers ideas!

By that token all MPs regardless of party, should support Conservative policy because the country voted Conservative at the last election.

For someone always banging on about 'respecting the democratic people' of the UK, you have some very, very bizarre ideas about democracy! 😱

1 hour ago, I1L2T3 said:

Actually they didn’t hand the decision over. As it was a advisory referendum the people were asked to advise.

As with any advice, it can be good or it can be bad

This time it was bad, or at the very least very badly informed 

You and others are claiming the referendum was an advisory one. Can anyone show us when we were told it was only advisory? 

1 minute ago, hobinfoot said:

You and others are claiming the referendum was an advisory one. Can anyone show us when we were told it was only advisory? 

We didn't need to be told.

When the Act of Parliament was passed enabling the referendum, much was made of the fact that it wasn't binding, unlike the 2011 Alternative Vote referendum which obliged the government to act on a yes vote. And let's not forget that the Leave campaign did not by and large push for it to be mandatory, because they didn't expect to win.

And can people stop banging on about what David Cameron and George Osborne may or may not have said about the result being binding or the referendum being a 'once in a lifetime' event?

The words of two discredited politicians mean nothing if not supported by legislation.

15 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

It’s not a claim. It was advisory.

It was known from the start.

24 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Another of your bonkers ideas!

By that token all MPs regardless of party, should support Conservative policy because the country voted Conservative at the last election.

For someone always banging on about 'respecting the democratic people' of the UK, you have some very, very bizarre ideas about democracy! 😱

A referendum is only ever about one issue while a general election is always about many issues. The constituencies were only ever used for counting purposes because it would have been bonkers for all of the ballot boxes throughout the UK to be taken to one place to be counted. It is irrelevant how individual constituencies voted because the referendum was to decide whether the whole of the UK remain or leave the EU.

The fact that the people of Gibraltar were allowed to vote in the EU and have no MP in Parliament to represent them proves that I am correct and makes you bonkers. 

7 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

It’s not a claim. It was advisory.

It was known from the start.

Irrelevant because in has since been passed into law the UK are leaving the EU.