The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

Quite, it's called a Parliamentary Democracy :?

You have conveniently forgot Parliament handed over the job of deciding whether the UK remain or leave  the EU to the UK people. The democratic UK made their choice and gave Parliament their instructions. Parliament's job is to implement Brexit and not block Brexit. 

Today's front page headline in the Daily Express sums up the situation correctly.  If the UK don't leave the EU on 29th March then Parliament will lost the people's trust forever.

1 minute ago, Lockdoctor said:

You have conveniently forgot Parliament handed over the job of deciding whether the UK remain or leave  the EU to the UK people. The democratic UK made their choice and gave Parliament their instructions. Parliament's job is to implement Brexit and not block Brexit. 

Today's front page headline in the Daily Express sums up the situation correctly.  If the UK don't leave the EU on 29th March then Parliament will lost the people's trust forever.

Actually they didn’t hand the decision over. As it was a advisory referendum the people were asked to advise.

As with any advice, it can be good or it can be bad

This time it was bad, or at the very least very badly informed 

5 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Are you genuinely complaining about parliamentary sovereignty?

7 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Angela Smith MP on Sky news this morning, advocating a second referendum, where the options would be either a) vote for May's deal

Or b) vote to remain 

Absolutely hilarious! 

Thanks for the laugh. 

Angela then, sanctimoniously, tells us 'it's what the people want'.  

Do all these politicians wishing to ignore the referendum result really think their leave voting constituencies will ever vote them back in power? 

I have contacted my MP and advised her that the above would be my position.  Your MP should represent the majority of the constituency they represent. This applies either way, Brexit or Remain.

Angel1.

4 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I have contacted my MP and advised her that the above would be my position.  Your MP should represent the majority of the constituency they represent. This applies either way, Brexit or Remain.

Angel1.

'The first duty of a member of Parliament is to do what he thinks in his faithful and disinterested judgement is right and necessary for the honour and safety of Great Britain. His second duty is to his constituents, of whom he is the representative but not the delegate. Burke's famous declaration on this subject is well known. It is only in the third place that his duty to party organization or programme takes rank. All these three loyalties should be observed, but there in no doubt of the order in which they stand under any healthy manifestation of democracy.' Sir Winston Churchill on the Duties of a Member of Parliament.

Angela Smith MP on Sky news this morning, advocating a second referendum, where the options would be either a) vote for May's deal

Or b) vote to remain

Apparently the majority of correspondance to her office is leavers expressing their regret :?

A leave voting constituacy that now wants to remain, by a significant margin.

Do all these politicians wishing to ignore the referendum result really think their leave voting constituencies will ever vote them back in power? 

She is listening to her constituants, they now want to remain.

Edited by Magilla

6 hours ago, Harrystottle said:

Nice to see Look North carrying an extended piece on possible food shortages in the event of a No Deal Brexit last night. On the same day that a government minister was "accidentally" photographed with a piece of paper saying "No deal no food".

You'd almost think it was concerted.

How dirty can you get though? You know how people go crackers shopping if the shops are shut for even one day, what's that story going to do? Especially when they repeat it, as i'm sure they will.

They may protest that they are only warning people not to panic buy, whilst at the same time ensuring that they will panic buy.

Disgraceful.

There was a clown of a woman on telly last night buying this " super freeze-dried rubbish", apparently it's what the Astronauts use. It seems you can eat this muck God knows how long into the future. Now that really is panic buying. I have to admit, me and her indoors were actually laughing by the end of the interview.

I await the incoming fire from our Remoaner friends, who may agree with the above clown, that food shortages will happen after Brexit.

Angel1.

4 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Parliament wouldn’t approve no deal IMO...

But what if the public HAD voted (in my simple binary choice of existing deal vs. no deal) for no deal....where do Pariliament go from there?!

Angela then, sanctimoniously, tells us 'it's what the people want'.  

Funny that you ask that question in this area of the country.

Could stick a pig with a red rosette in an election and the local people would still vote it through.

16 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

Just to point out how silly that argument is:- There are more women than men in the country. Assuming that this is spread equally across all constituencies your argument means MP should represent the women in their constituency but not the men.

MPs should represent all their constituents.

29 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

You have conveniently forgot Parliament handed over the job of deciding whether the UK remain or leave  the EU to the UK people.

I didn't forget anything, merely an understanding of how democracy in the UK works!

Seems you finally got it with your "managed" comment... only took two years! :hihi:

3 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Apparently the majority of correspondance to her office is leavers expressing their regret :?

A leave voting constituacy that now wants to remain, by a significant margin.

She is listening to her constiuants, they now want to remain.

And you really believe that bunkum, honestly?. She is a Remoaner 100%, that say's it all.

Angel1.