The Consequences of Brexit [Part 6] READ FIRST POST BEFORE COMMENTING

Just now, woodview said:

Thanks for clearing up what we already know.

Your last sentence is, as you perhaps know, is referring to what I was talking about. I think it unlikely that we will be going back in 2 years time asking to be re-admitted.

Just an opinion, on a forum.

It may be what you already know (and which clearly is not what the majority knows, by the level of debates and opinions in the MSM), but that still doesn't explain your earlier post: it makes it even more incomprehensible!

If it does exit, I can't see the UK rejoining for a good 5 to 10 years. It will take that long to overhaul the UK political system, and for a critical mass of the British electorate to, collectively and variously, die off, educate itself and take its medicine; that's all without factoring the influence of the next financial crisis around the corner, which might add a few more years yet, nor factoring a partial break-up if the Union (RoI & NI highly likely to unite inside 5 to 7 years, after a no deal Brexit bringing back borders on day 1).

21 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

You are wrong and continue not to respect the democratic EU referendum result.  The original  red lines were driven by respecting and attempting to honour the democratic referendum result.  Any agreement where the UK continue to be in the single market or customs union makes a mockery of the EU referendum result. The big mistake Mrs May has made is not sticking to her red lines and trying do appease those members of parliament who like you don't respect the democratic referendum result and still want the UK to remain in the EU.  The choice on the EU referendum ballot paper was a binary choice meaning whatever choice received the most votes was to be implemented.  Leave won the democratic vote and that should mean the views of the losers  which was remain voters should be completely ignored.

That would all be great in a dictatorship.

We live in a democracy

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Who cares if they lose the "red rosette on a pig" Labour Brexit supporters? Where are they going to go?

A little considered point.

Those who say Corbyn can't come out against Brexit because of the number of Leave voting Labour constituencies in the North, are making the assumption that all these Labour Brexiteers will vote Tory and Labour will lose these seats.

Apart from the idea of voting Tory being anathema to many 'traditional' Labour voters, the Leave campaign has spent the last two years hammering home the message that most Tory MPs are at heart remainers who are desperate to ensure that we stay in the EU. So who are angry Labour Brexiteers going to vote for if Corbyn comes out against Brexit? UKIP? BNP?

The reality is that in all probability Labour will retain these northern seats but with reduced majorities.

17 minutes ago, L00b said:

It may be what you already know (and which clearly is not what the majority knows, by the level of debates and opinions in the MSM), but that still doesn't explain your earlier post: it makes it even more incomprehensible!

If it does exit, I can't see the UK rejoining for a good 5 to 10 years. It will take that long to overhaul the UK political system, and for a critical mass of the British electorate to, collectively and variously, die off, educate itself and take its medicine; that's all without factoring the influence of the next financial crisis around the corner, which might add a few more years yet, nor factoring a partial break-up if the Union (RoI & NI highly likely to unite inside 5 to 7 years, after a no deal Brexit bringing back borders on day 1).

Interesting. Who knows how the union will develop. I'm not a unionist and if part of the UK wanted independence, that would be their own decision and I'd wish them well either way.

The NI border is a bit of a misleading one. There is a border now, and there will be one in future. The way the border is managed will evolve for sure.

If the EU has evolved in that period maybe the UK / England may rejoin. I can't see it in the current format though.

28 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

That would all be great in a dictatorship.

We live in a democracy

I thought we lived in a democracy but if  we don't leave the EU then we will  be living in a Managed Democracy.

Edited by Lockdoctor

17 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

I thought we lived in a democracy but if  we don't leave the EU then we will  be living in a Managed Democracy.

If we don't leave the EU it will be because either the people of the UK voted to remain, in another referendum, our elected MPs voted through an Act of Parliament either suspending or abandoning Article 50 or a general election returns a party which makes remaining in the EU a manifesto promise.

All completely legitimate democratic processes.

Let's not forget that in less than six months, your discredited, inconclusive referendum will be three years old and nothing more than an outdated, historical abberation.

24 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Quite, it's called a Parliamentary Democracy :?

So Liam Fox yesterday said that a no deal Brexit was "survivable".

I don't remember seeing that plastered on the side of a bus..."Brexit...you might survive".

3 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I don't think globalisation can be stopped. 

No but I'm sure it will have to be curbed to some extent in the future, or even taxed higher as it is damaging the planet having produce shipped from far flung places. The only way most of this is viable is because of cheap wages and bad labour conditions in those countries, hence the rise of the fair trade organisation. We want good labour conditions and minimum wages for ourselves in the UK and EU but dont seem to care much when its outside the EU. 

1 hour ago, L00b said:

I can't see the UK rejoining for a good 5 to 10 years.

And that is how it should be, after all this was billed as a once in a generation thing.

19 minutes ago, apelike said:

No but I'm sure it will have to be curbed to some extent in the future, or even taxed higher as it is damaging the planet having produce shipped from far flung places. The only way most of this is viable is because of cheap wages and bad labour conditions in those countries, hence the rise of the fair trade organisation. We want good labour conditions and minimum wages for ourselves in the UK and EU but dont seem to care much when its outside the EU. 

The vast majority don't give a thrupenny **** about the planet.

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

It’s the same if we leave. We pool our sovereignty in many ways in many international organisations.

59 minutes ago, apelike said:

And that is how it should be, after all this was billed as a once in a generation thing.

Who said it was once in a generation. Has a law been passed to make that so

...........thought not

1 hour ago, apelike said:

You would have to be a rather unique kind of idiot to believe that Mogg and his ilk would curb globalisation 

I can’t believe people think that.

Fox and Mogg etc... are the poster boys for globalisation